Do medical schools pick up the pace with interview invites after October 15th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaKATPase413

ORM, CA RESIDENT, LM 76.7, WARS 79 (Readjusted)
Reaction score
I have heard that medical schools tend to pick up the pace with inviting people for interviews after October 15th since people supposedly will cancel their interviews after gaining acceptance to a first choice school. Is this actually true? Does anyone know what percentage of interview invites remain after this point?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that medical schools tend to pick up the pace with inviting people for interviews after October 15th since people supposedly will cancel their interviews after gaining acceptance to a first choice school. Is this actually true? Does anyone know what percentage of interview invites remain after this point?
This has not happened since the pandemic.

All you need to know is that med schools continue to accept people past the point of the first day of medical school (some people drop out, some people defer for a year, etc.).

It's courteous to cancel your other interviews after you have an acceptance at a school that you're happy with (or even just an acceptance, depending on your situation). But it's like fortune telling to try to estimate percentages at this point.

Most schools send out secondaries to just about everyone who submits a primary. So that's ~100%. Those invited for an interview (~1/2 of those who receive a secondary, on average) theoretically have a shot at being accepted, and med schools typically admit ~1/4 of those who interview. To my knowledge, overall ~10-12% of those who apply to med school matriculate (end up enrolling). But a quick Google search revealed that this number is 42%.

I hope that that helped.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This has not happened since the pandemic.
If anything I find the general sentiment is that other applicants want to attend every interview whether its 1 or 15 due to the majority being virtual. What the significance on the pace or amount given out I do not know but the likelihood is there are still more IIs left to give as applicants have to commit to a single school next spring whether they're holding more As than in past cycles or not.

Applicants are definitely going to be attending more interviews than they would in a normal season, but there is going to be *some* attrition. Applicants have other things going on in their lives, and taking time off work or school to interview at a school you definitely wouldn't attend doesn't make sense. However, very few A's actually go out on Oct 15th, probably not enough to make a huge impact in II's.

Reactions: 2 users
All you need to know is that med schools continue to accept people past the point of the first day of medical school (some people drop out, some people defer for a year, etc.).

It's courteous to cancel your other interviews after you have an acceptance at a school that you're happy with (or even just an acceptance, depending on your situation). But it's like fortune telling to try to estimate percentages at this point.

Most schools send out secondaries to just about everyone who submits a primary. So that's ~100%. Those invited for an interview (~1/2 of those who receive a secondary, on average) theoretically have a shot at being accepted, and med schools typically admit ~1/4 of those who interview. To my knowledge, overall ~10-12% of those who apply to med school matriculate (end up enrolling). But a quick Google search revealed that this number is 42%.

I hope that that helped.
I think the number is around 40% nowadays.

Dunno but I hope so. A very unscientific discussion on Premeddit today had several people saying they have withdrawn from IIs already based on their Oct 15th news. Definitely fewer than pre-pandemic obviously, but there are understandably some applicants who will decline/withdraw from IIs for the reasons stated by @iHawk_MD .