Adding world travel to PTCAS application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orygon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent close to 2 years traveling the world before deciding to change careers and pursue physical therapy. Should I add this to the extracurricular section? It wasnt a service trip, I just wanted to see the world we live in. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm I don't know how this would qualify as an extra-curricular but you can try to include this in your interest essay, maybe?

I spent close to 2 years traveling the world before deciding to change careers and pursue physical therapy. Should I add this to the extracurricular section? It wasnt a service trip, I just wanted to see the world we live in. Thanks!
This does not count as an extracurricular. Incorporate it into your essays and interviews instead. It will show how you're familiar with cultures different than your own and how that can help you relate to a wide variety of patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, find a way to work it into your essay. Something about travel opening up your horizons and realizing how lucky we are to have healthcare in the US (even if much of it leaves a lot to be desired).
I also lived and worked abroad for many years, two of them spent among the nomads of the Sahara desert. I made sure I mentioned that in my essay. I think many AdCom members gave me interviews just so they can hear the rest of the story.

Reactions: 1 user
I spent close to 2 years traveling the world before deciding to change careers and pursue physical therapy. Should I add this to the extracurricular section?

No

Thank you for the replies! I did incorporate it into almost all my essays and not Ex.C. It's definitely shaped who I am today so I felt it was important to do so. Thanks again!