This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted885172

Good Morning!

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a good online Naturopathic Medicine Program. I am not trying to become licensed as a ND (my state doesn't license NDs anyways), I'm just looking for a way to supplement my knowledge later in life. At this point, I am only window shopping.

Thanks,

-Chris

P.S.
I don't want to pour gasoline on the burning fires of hatred for Naturopathic Medicine that I have found elsewhere on SDN; hopefully this information will head some of that off:

I want a broad understanding of multiple disciplines of healthcare. Pursuant to that, I'm currently finishing an AAS in Nursing and a BS in Psychology (clinical concentration), each offering it's own approach to health. I am also a CNA and EMT. With all those things, and additional coursework for Chemistry, Biology, and Physics, I will apply to Medical School with the intention of becoming an Emergency Physician. During Residency (or after, depending on stress levels), I want to take some additional coursework in Naturopathic Medicine.

I don't think Naturopathic Medicine is voodoo; from my current standpoint, I believe it has some merits. I also recognize coursework in Naturopathic Medicine has no real application to Emergency Medicine. For that matter, my coursework in Nursing and Psychology won't really be heavily exercised either. So please, if you want to tell me that it's useless, keep in mind it is supplemental education to be absorbed on weekends through online classes. I also will not neglect to further my education in Emergency Medicine.

And one last note: One of my instructors, a paramedic of 32 years, has encountered patients with deep disdain for Western Medicine. In one instance, she was able to establish rapport with the patient because she had taken courses in homeopathic medicine, and eventually talked the patient into transport and appropriate emergency care. Shealso knew better how to evaluate this patient because she understood the kind of care the patient had recieved for the last 15 or so years. Another reason for pursuing naturopathic coursework is that when I encounter these patients in the ER, I want to be able to establish that kind of rapport, and I want my medical advice to carry weight with them as well -- I can't impose any treatment they don't consent to anyways, and I can't do them any good if they won't listen to me.

And yes, I realize this won't further my career prospects. But on a physician's salary, I suspect I will be able to afford as much extraneous education I want.

Thanks Again

-Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Don't expect much help here; we don't go for woo, magic thinking, or unproven claims.

The failings in the delivery of Medicine are not a proof for the efficacy of pseudoscientific notions and nostrums.

Suggest seeking forums on reddit where believers in Yeti, unicorns, fairies, vaccines = autism and healing power of crystals and magnets abide.

Reactions: 8 users
I don't think anyone here is going to be able to point you in the direction of a naturopathic program.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone here is really going to have much information on those sorts of courses. I'd also be cautious not to take any courses that will produce a transcript you'd need to include in AMCAS.

I do think there's definitely some value in understanding where these patients are coming from with respect to different beliefs regarding health and health care as well as what other types of treatment they might have had. One of the medical documentary type TV shows even had a couple of true stories where they had to invite in a shaman of sorts to exercise a demon out of a patient who'd been cursed by a neighbor before she'd go forward with life saving with western treatment. Probably not too common, but not rare either.

I don't think you'll find many people on here with info on naturopathic courses, but if I'm remembering correctly, I do think @QofQuimica did something where she studied complimentary and alternative medicine to gain a better understanding of patients who try those things. Perhaps she can suggest some reading or websites for you.

Don't expect much help here; we don't go for woo, magic thinking, or unproven claims.

The failings in the delivery of Medicine are not a proof for the efficacy of pseudoscientific notions and nostrums.

Suggest seeking forums on reddit where believers in Yeti, unicorns, fairies, vaccines = autism and healing power of crystals and magnets abide.

'Woo' typically listed under 'naturopathy' is getting some clinical attention. UCSF is doing research on meditation and mindfulness as it relates to post-surgical outcomes, for example. I believe science has a lot to study and the reason many things are 'unproven' is just because they haven't been studied yet. An open-minded scientist would be interested in seeing what the data has to say rather than rejecting something outright as contempt prior to investigation.

^^ That said, I definitely want an MD :p (and I want to study nutrition some! Think of it --> the microbiome! etc!)

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate responses (most of them, anyways), and I'll ask elsewhere to find the right program. I saw a bunch of threads with naturopathic somewhere in the title, so I figured that there would be all disciplines on here (e.g. allopathic, osteopathic, naturopathic, chiropractic, etc.), but that doesn't seem to be the case, which is fine.

Thanks Again,

-Chris

'Woo' typically listed under 'naturopathy' is getting some clinical attention. UCSF is doing research on meditation and mindfulness as it relates to post-surgical outcomes, for example. I believe science has a lot to study and the reason many things are 'unproven' is just because they haven't been studied yet. An open-minded scientist would be interested in seeing what the data has to say rather than rejecting something outright as contempt prior to investigation.
Meditation and mindfulness is not woo; there's evidence to back it up.

While naturopathy may try to claim these as some of their modalities, the vast bulk of n-pathy is pure bovine excrement.

Reactions: 2 users
Meditation and mindfulness is not woo; there's evidence to back it up.

While naturopathy may try to claim these as some of their modalities, the vast bulk of n-pathy is pure bovine excrement.
I don't disagree. I'd argue that meditation *was* woo until it got researched. I'm open to maybe some other *woo* listed under naturopathy might come into the medical mainstream one day as well. After all, all known and gathered evidence pointed to a geocentric galaxy until new tools and open-minds (often persecuted and put to death for their claims) pushed our boundaries and brought us to the heliocentric model.

I don't disagree. I'd argue that meditation *was* woo until it got researched. I'm open to maybe some other *woo* listed under naturopathy might come into the medical mainstream one day as well. After all, all known and gathered evidence pointed to a geocentric galaxy until new tools and open-minds (often persecuted and put to death for their claims) pushed our boundaries and brought us to the heliocentric model.
Please, don't pull the Galileo defense...it's not seriously. It's one thing to have an open mind, but keep it too open and your brains simply leak out of your head.

The burden of proof is on the presenter, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Reactions: 2 users
Please, don't pull the Galileo defense...it's not seriously. It's one thing to have an open mind, but keep it too open and your brains simply leak out of your head.

The burden of proof is on the presenter, and extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
Surely, surely! And I find it extraordinary that paying attention to your breath, watching your thoughts, and sitting quietly can affect your post-operative outcomes!

There are aspects of complimentary medicine that are potentially beneficial, this is true. But naturopathy is not anywhere NEAR the same level as practical complimentary medicine. There's a stark difference between meditation, medical massage, etc. and the likes of reiki, essential oils, and all that garbage.

In regards to the OP's question, I don't doubt there were minor benefits from your instructor's experience. I would posit that solid communication skills and significant experience working with patients could produce a similar outcome. As a paramedic, I convinced many people that didn't believe in Western medicine to seek treatment. And I assure you, I would lobotomize myself before stepping digital foot into an online naturopathic course. You would be much better served taking a medical anthropology class or something of the like. You'll get to learn about other people's beliefs without coming across as a charlatan yourself.

Reactions: 1 user