"Additional Information" Secondaries - Adding a citation in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chewydog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a co-author (second) in an oral presentation at the most recent American Laryngological Association Meeting but for various reasons had not included it in my primary application. Is it worth mentioning this in the "additional information" optional essays for secondaries? If so, how should I go about inserting the citation (e.g. journal format/just the title/etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a co-author (second) in an oral presentation at the most recent American Laryngological Association Meeting but for various reasons had not included it in my primary application. Is it worth mentioning this in the "additional information" optional essays for secondaries? If so, how should I go about inserting the citation (e.g. journal format/just the title/etc.)?
Was the presentation based on original hypothesis-based research for which you have an affiliated entry on your application? Did you give the presentation personally? Was/Will the abstract be published in the ALA's official peer-reviewed paper journal (as opposed to theConference Proceedings Booklet)? Does it have a pubmed ID#?

Last edited:
Was the presentation based on original hypothesis-based research for which you have an affiliated entry on your application?
Yes, I have an entry in the experience section of the AMCAS application for the research related to this.

Did you give the presentation personally?
No, the first author did.

Was/Will the abstract be published in the ALA's official peer-reviewed paper journal (as opposed to theConference Proceedings Booklet)?
The project was extended post-presentation, and we are preparing a manuscript for submission to a peer-reviewed journal.

Does it have a pubmed ID#?
No

Based on your questions and my responses, I get the impression that I should omit it from the additional information section. But for future reference, in the case where the answer is yes to any of the last 3 questions, when would it be appropriate and how should it be done? Thanks for your help!

Was the presentation based on original hypothesis-based research for which you have an affiliated entry on your application?
Yes, I have an entry in the experience section of the AMCAS application for the research related to this.

Did you give the presentation personally?
No, the first author did.

Was/Will the abstract be published in the ALA's official peer-reviewed paper journal (as opposed to theConference Proceedings Booklet)?
The project was extended post-presentation, and we are preparing a manuscript for submission to a peer-reviewed journal.

Does it have a pubmed ID#?
No

Based on your questions and my responses, I get the impression that I should omit it from the additional information section. But for future reference, in the case where the answer is yes to any of the last 3 questions, when would it be appropriate and how should it be done?
Actually I think you should include it. I asked the detailed questions as they would make a difference in how to either cite it or if the first question was No, how to present it as a Teaching moment. Just because you didn't present doesn't mean you can't be recognized for your contribution to the project, it just means you need to give credit to the actual presenter after you list your citation (which would be similar to that of a poster and can be truncated if necessary to make it more succinct. A formal style isn't necessary).

If the abstract were published in the ALA or its supplement and had a PMID#, it would be a publication, you would cite it as such (including the word [abstract] after the title), and add as an addendum that the data was presented at a podium at XXX Conference, [date], by the first author. If it were in the conference proceedings booklet, it would not be a publication.