Addressing PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

AnatomyGrey12

Somehow I find myself making another new thread lol.

Another poster recommended to me that I should make this one to increase visibility of what I am doing. I currently have an email drafted to local government leaders in both PE testing locations addressing concern over the NBOME's insistence of delivering this exam despite the NBME's recent announcement. I am going to send this email myself, and believe it would be very beneficial if as many people as possible would send it, or something like it, to make sure our voice is heard. I honestly don't care if they still make us take the test at some point. Taking the test isn't the problem, it's the fact that delivering this test in July after the NBME has announced a suspension is completely irresponsible and defies all reason and common sense.

Anyone who is willing to send this email or would be willing to disseminate it to the people at their school to send should DM me for the template and contact information of the respective government officials. I will be updating this post with the schools of people that have contacted me and already have it. I will not be sharing the names of posters that have contacted me.

Schools:
CUSOM
MSU
KCU
KCU-Joplin
OSU
WVSOM
Anonymous Attendings
LECOM
LMU-DCOM
TCOM
ATSU-SOMA
TUNCOM
ACOM
ROWAN
PCOM
RVUCOM-CU
VCOM
ARCOM
Touro-CA

EDIT: It has also occurred to me that we should also be emailing the governors and other representatives of the states we are currently in for rotations. They should probably know students are going to two hot spot cities to interact with dozens of people, and then potentially bringing COVID back to their state.

EDIT #2: The following is a petition which I believe was started by the COSGP. I encourage everyone to fill it out.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 38 users
Am very proud of you for taking the lead on this! Suggest involving as many friendly Faculty as possible. Ignore the True Believers, or pitch it differently than "NBME is doing it, why can't we?" Better to just articulate NBME's rationale, without mentioning their letters. Good luck!

Reactions: 22 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in, just PM'd you.

Reactions: 1 user
idk how to PM people but can you PM me? I gotchu

I think you have it blocked or something, I can't see the usual link to PM when click on your username.
I just changed some things. can you try again? sorry I am SDN illiterate

If there is a go fund me set up for legal council of anyone who wants to sue the NBOME I will donate.

Edit: Or even a go fund me for legal council on sending professional letters to the city councils and the NBOME. Blatantly endangering lives is not okay. They need to know we mean business. Having a legal firms name attached does just that.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
What we really need is the voice of community members in their testing cities. The city council can easily ignore the voices of med students across the nation but ignoring the voices of your own city residents is much more difficult. We need to recruit members of the each community.

What we really need is the voice of community members in their testing cities. The city council can easily ignore the voices of med students across the nation but ignoring the voices of your own city residents is much more difficult. We need to recruit members of the each community.
this is a media thing. we need a reporter or two with a significant voice.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, contacting a media outlet will be crucial. NBOME will only bow the knee to money or public pressure.

Reactions: 2 users
This is not only about the cities where the tests are being performed. It's about the communities we will need to be traveling from and returning too. For example, my core rotation site is at a small community hospital in a county where the number of Covid cases detected is in the single digits. Travelling to the heart of Philly, spending an extended period of time in enclosed spaces with many people from all over, then returning back to this rural town to get back on rotations risks setting off a chain of transmission in this town which could kill thousands or tens of thousands of people (all it takes is one superspreader). Personally, if I am forced to take this test I will try to find a way to self-quarantine afterward (it happens to be scheduled during my vacation month). However, this may not be possible for everyone; and others may just not be willing to do so.

I'm not saying I will not be trying to travel some for electives. However, it will be in a very intentional way to as few places as possible. Adding Philadelphia to my list of places to travel would greatly increase the risk to the small rural community that has been supporting me and helping me learn to become a doctor.

tl;dr- We need to protect the rural communities where many DO students are rotating by limiting travel if at all possible. The proposed purpose of this exam is that is supposed to protect patients. Continuing to carry it out in the pandemic could easily cost more lives than the exam could ever hope to save.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Podiatry students take their clinical board exam aug-nov in philly too in the same building as DO students. Please add us to your emails to government officials

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe we can reach out to Doctor Mike DO. He has a YouTube channel with 5 million subscribers that can raise public awareness.

EDIT: I sent him a message on twitter and facebook. I don't know how often he checks. Lets all try to reach out to him, but not spam him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
AZCOM also has a drafted leader for this. Time to teach the NBOME that you can’t strong arm highly educated individuals.

Reactions: 12 users
If there is a go fund me set up for legal council of anyone who wants to sue the NBOME I will donate.

Edit: Or even a go fund me for legal council on sending professional letters to the city councils and the NBOME. Blatantly endangering lives is not okay. They need to know we mean business. Having a legal firms name attached does just that.
I am all for everything anti NBOME, but public scrutiny will probably work better at this point. Not saying they are mutually exclusive. I did find sort of a half A youtube video on the topic (via google search)? Would be a quick way to get the point across. Dude sounds like a tunafish talking in the mic but Ill take whatever is on our side

Someone did a crude calculation of what the risk would be if the PE weren't canceled lol

Reactions: 14 users
Maybe we can reach out to Doctor Mike DO. He has a YouTube channel with 5 million subscribers that can raise public awareness.

EDIT: I sent him a message on twitter and facebook. I don't know how often he checks. Lets all try to reach out to him, but not spam him.

From what I have seen, he actually reads his comments section pretty frequently. @ ing him there immediately after a new video has a good chance of getting his attention.

idk if it has been done yet...but if you get all DO school deans to agree w this movement at their leadership meeting with NBOME...it would have more effect than anything else.

Bumping for visibility. I attached a petition started by the COSGP in the OP.

idk if it has been done yet...but if you get all DO school deans to agree w this movement at their leadership meeting with NBOME...it would have more effect than anything else.

I know more than a few student bodies that are actively trying to get their admins involved, as well as some admins that have already taken up the torch. We need everyone we can get.

Reactions: 9 users
From what I have seen, he actually reads his comments section pretty frequently. @ ing him there immediately after a new video has a good chance of getting his attention.
Maybe even zdoggmd?

Reactions: 7 users
Bump for visibility

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using SDN mobile

Keep working hard guys and speaking out. We can make a difference

I just answered a few questions about the PE and shared that tweet with a reporter from More than the Curve, a Conshohocken PA news website. Seemed intrigued by the info...

Edit - i also have a medical meme page on Facebook with 18,000 followers. I've shared this tweet there and also Zdogg MD's page. If nothing else this will get some exposure.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
I just answered a few questions about the PE and shared that tweet with a reporter from More than the Curve, a Conshohocken PA news website. Seemed intrigued by the info...

Edit - i also have a medical meme page on Facebook with 18,000 followers. I've shared this tweet there and also Zdogg MD's page. If nothing else this will get some exposure.

Send him Grey’s template. Average person is gonna have to research for hours before they make sense of what’s going on. This’ll cover it in 5 minutes.

Rally this weekend by the Philadelphia art museum:
View attachment 308523
Rally in Chicago today:
View attachment 308524

No social distancing at these protests. Does the NBOME really believe COVID-19 will be under control in Philadelphia and Chicago on July 1?
You cannot even get into Philly right now. NG has been called in. Social distancing over and done with.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Rally this weekend by the Philadelphia art museum:
View attachment 308523
Rally in Chicago today:
View attachment 308524

No social distancing at these protests. Does the NBOME really believe COVID-19 will be under control in Philadelphia and Chicago on July 1?
Unfortunately for your cause it seems like NO one cares about covid-19 anymore(meaning the media so it is not being reported on now) this might actually hurt your argument, if these many people gathered in these cities without any social distancing and there is no huge surge in cases or deaths in about 2 weeks, then that will only strengthen their argument to go ahead with the test in a month from now, essentially saying that the outbreak is waning so it’s justified to have people go take the test.

• Hmm
You cannot even get into Philly right now. NG has been called in. Social distancing over and done with.
Hmm the test is in a month, doubt the situation with the NG will still be the case then.

Okay im dumb, explain this lol

The COVID curve lol. I’ve been drowning in schoolwork and haven’t been able to keep up. I’d expect a spike incoming, but was it going down before that?

The COVID curve lol. I’ve been drowning in schoolwork and haven’t been able to keep up. I’d expect a spike incoming, but was it going down before that?
We were doing better. Getting closer to reopening some stuff. Forget it now.

Hello NBOME, how about working to "protect the public"? The best way to protect the public right now would be to cancel your exam through the remainder of the year.
We can’t let up until we get the PE cancelled for the academic year. Great work by everyone so far in trying to get rid of the PE this year but we still got to get the attention of city or government officials. The NBOME doesn’t care about us and won’t listen to us. The only way to get rid of the PE is for the city to not allow a permit for the NBOME to administer the PE. I don’t think public pressure will cause the NBOME to cancel the PE but the NBOME must follow the law so if they don’t get a permit then the NBOME has to get rid of the exam!

Reactions: 5 users
The local government wants to jump start the economy and you all are going to be helping with that when you visit there city for your PE.
The loocal goverment and small business owners want you to come and spend money. Unless there is a second COVID wave, which there might be with all the riots, the local government are not going to do squat when small businesses are hurting. Just saying.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
The local government wants to jump start the economy and you all are going to be helping with that when you visit there city for your PE.
The loocal goverment and small business owners want you to come and spend money. Unless there is a second COVID wave, which there might be with all the riots, the local government are not going to do squat when small businesses are hurting. Just saying.
You think a couple of DOs who are broke af going to spend money when they take PE? Let alone jumpstart the economy of a city?

:rolleyes:

• Haha
You think a couple of DOs who are broke af going to spend money when they take PE? Let alone jumpstart the economy of a city?

:rolleyes:
Probably gonna grab a drink or two after taking the exam.

• Okay...
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
“The bottom line is that we REFUSE to risk even ONE Juggalo life by hosting a Gathering during these troubling times,"

Keep fighting! We literally just want leadership that’s as responsible as the Insane Clown Posse. Pretty sure that’s reasonable.

Reactions: 13 users
Well I can most definitely promise them I will not be eating in a single restaurant or visiting a single bar for at least another 10-12 months and have no money to leisurely shop. If this is the best excuse they have they can think again.

Both mayors of Conshohocken and Chicago are Democrats. Also, both governors of Illinois and Pennsylvania are Democrats so I think these government officials will prioritize safety over money. They are anti-Trump and will care about public safety over the economy. The mayor of Conshohocken's office phone number is 610-828-1092. We need to start calling these officials to get their attention about this issue. We got to do whatever it takes to stop the NBOME.

Below is a list of city council members of Conshohocken and their phone numbers. It wouldn't hurt to call them.
1. Colleen Leonard, President
(610) 322-0386
2. Robert Stokley, Senior Member
(610) 636-7230
3. Jane Flanagan, Member
(610) 828-1092 x135
4. Anita Barton, Member
(610) 397-1581
5. Tina Sokolowski, Vice-President
(610) 828-1092 x133
6. James Griffin, Member
(610) 828-4638
7. Karen Tutino, Member
(267) 356-2070

Reactions: 6 users
Both mayors of Conshohocken and Chicago are Democrats. Also, both governors of Illinois and Pennsylvania are Democrats so I think these government officials will prioritize safety over money. They are anti-Trump and will care about public safety over the economy. The mayor of Conshohocken's office phone number is 610-828-1092. We need to start calling these officials to get their attention about this issue. We got to do whatever it takes to stop the NBOME.

Below is a list of city council members of Conshohocken and their phone numbers. It wouldn't hurt to call them.
1. Colleen Leonard, President
(610) 322-0386
2. Robert Stokley, Senior Member
(610) 636-7230
3. Jane Flanagan, Member
(610) 828-1092 x135
4. Anita Barton, Member
(610) 397-1581
5. Tina Sokolowski, Vice-President
(610) 828-1092 x133
6. James Griffin, Member
(610) 828-4638