Administration/management rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janeno

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry I meant to put residencies in the heading. Has anyone heard about pharmacy administration/management residencies? Does anyone know anything about these? Anyone with personal experience (esp. in job opportunities, difficulty of residency, and anything else)?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're looking for a 2 year administration residency, there's three programs to remember: Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Kansas. Those are generally considered the top tier programs in the country. Wisconsin's program won the 2006 pharmacy residency excellence award (Proof).

Outlook on career is very good. Although these programs can be pretty intense (so I've observed), most people will come out of one and be an assistant director within a couple of years, if not right out of training (depends on the individual's skill level). I think it's definitely worth it.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio State was the first one to offer the administration/management residency. We're talking about 30 years back. It seems like all the hospitals I looked at in Columbus, Ohio offer that program and they're all 2 years and you also have to be accepted into OSU's M.S. program, which is paid for. I don't know much about job opportunities, and that's what I'm still trying to find out.

Thank you for everyone's input. From what I heard from several hospital pharmacists, there is actually a shortage of pharmacy administrators. So I am pretty sure the job prospects are good as long as you are willing to relocate. However, my main concern is the toughness of the program because not only you work but you also take courses, which sounds very intimidating. Plus, I am tired of school and I am not sure if I will have energy for MS degree on top of that.

I don't think the program itself is that tough. I worked with a resident who was from Texas. But this was way before I got accepted into pharmacy school, so I didn't think to ask him any questions or keep in touch. I know he moved back to Texas and got a job as a director at some small hospital. I know some programs might make you work 60-80 hours a week, but since they know you have school on top of that, I don't think they even make you work over 40 hours. The M.S. program is probably nothing compared to pharmacy school, but I know what you mean about being in school again. It seems like I'm never done with school. But I think it's awesome that at least you won't have to pay tuition if you chose to do it. I wonder if the GMAT is also required.

I have the feeling that this program would be good for someone who is 100% sure they want to be a pharmacy director, hospital administrator, or a job with less clinical emphasis and more management. What are the other career options?

Hello Members, I just joined up today and I have been trying very hard to get into pharmacy college lately. Western almost told me that if I took genetics and Organic chemistry lab ii and one more course in something, I probably would be accepted. But cost of living is very high in CA compared to Ohio. However, I totally ignored this direction since I am in Cleveland, Ohio and almost finished doing my MBA concentrating in health care management ( Dec of 08). My GPA in MBA is lot higher (3.53) than the under-graduation. I also invested in real estate and build great houses from age of 27 to age 34.

Now that is the problem, due to being in United States totally on my own from age of 19 has created some effects. Meaning one time I felt home sick and did not drop classes whereas I needed to and ended up getting F's in my transcripts. I did not go to classes or took any exams those two semesters. However, whenever I attended with seriousness I received B+ and A's. Also I completed majority of my course work about 10 years ago and my advisor who was very understanding granted me a degree in 2005 in Biology where I had to finish up 2.5 half semesters worth of classes.

Anyhow, while I am doing full time MBA, I took PCAT( last year in October, 07) and did horrible in it. I only scored 60% in biology and rest is very low. My undergraduate cumulatitive GPA is 2.96 due to the very stupid mistakes of not dropping those two semesters worth of classes. Therefore, my only way to the pharmacy college is doing well in PCAT. I went to Kaplan for it and did not do well last time since I also had to carry 3 classes in MBA. Now I am thinking about taking it over the summer again with two MBA ( I must since I will be done in December) classes. I think with my communicative GPA now would be somewhere around 3.2 or something. What should I do? I do not want to let my Biology degree go to a waste since whenever I paid attention, I did well. Then again I am 35 now and should I go for more degree in finance ( I do not like), accounting ( very dry) and MBA or should I pursue pharmacy since I would like to use my Biology degree which I worked very hard for.

You're not in the right forum for it. You should go to pre-pharmacy and post it. You'd get more responses. All I can tell you is that if pharmacy is what you want, then go for it. You also need to get some pharmacy experience if you haven't already done it or else how would you know if it's right for you.