Admission Essay(Pharm.D)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npp71681

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am pre-pharmacy student. I want to apply at University of Texas - Austin & University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill for Fall - 2005 (Pharm.D). Basically, at the both schools that I'm planning to apply, their application process start from (October 1, 2004 - Faburary 1, 2005). So, even though they take applications for 4 months(OCT-FEB), I want to apply in the first week of October at both schools. So, when do I start writing my admission essay and get the letters of recommendations if I want to apply between the first week of October? Also, what is the essay and letters of recommendations contain? What they look like? What i have to do in order to write essay and letters of recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

ASAP. The quicker, the better. Recommenders are sometimes hard to track down and may take a long time to write the letter for you. Make sure your recommenders are folks who can write a GOOD letter for you. Discuss this with them. Find out what the essay is and answer the question. If the essay has no theme, then use it to show the admissions committee things about you that are not already apparent on the rest of your application.

Good luck :luck:

npp, do you live in either Texas or North Carolina? If not, you might want to consider some backup schools. Both Texas and UNC are pretty hard to get into if you're out-of-state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
goheel,

I live in North Carolina. So, UNC is my IN-STATE school and UT is my OUT-OF-STATE school.

Awesome, where do you go to school right now?

Do you have your letters sent directly to the school, or are the schools you are applying to using self managed applications where you collect all the pieces and send it all in together?

You have to pick references carefully. One of my references to my backup school came in late. Luckily, I got in to my first choice school. If someone is dragging their heels, it is ok to ask someone to play backup in case that reference does not come through for you.

Anna

I agree - the sooner the better. It gives you lots of time for people to read it and give you feedback and definitely get on those LORs! My advice for people when they want to get LORs is to give their writer a CV and list of professional goals. You want to make it as easy on the person as possible and help them write the best possible letter. Remember lots of profs are writing 50+ LORs! You don't want to assume they know everything they need to about you. What activities were you involved in? Achievements/awards/scholarships? All of that should be listed on your CV. The writers really appreciate it too :D like the previous posters said, sometime people can really drag their heels because they are bogged down or whatever so try to hit them up over the summer when they are less busy rather than when school starts up again.

HTH!

spacecowgirl, what's CV?

CV= curriculum vitae. As far as I can tell it's a fancy word for resume, but maybe there is a difference.

A CV that's great idea! I wish I had thought of that earlier.
Goheel, A CV is sort of like a resume, I think!

Sorry, me and all my jargon :laugh: I've been posting on message boards too long. A CV is a little different in that it highlights more of your academic achievements rather than job experiences. You can always do a google search for how to write a CV, I'm sure that's how I did mine :)

Also:
HTH=Hope this helps

A CV is usually multiple (unlimited) pages and encompasses every professional activity you have ever done - jobs, school, organizations, publications, talks you have given, etc. A resume focuses more on short term job experience than the life experience shown by a CV.

Gamecock Pharmacy - Going from 0-$90,000 in just 4 years.

And only a few short years ago it was only 0-$50,000.

imperial frog said:
And only a few short years ago it was only 0-$50,000.

Hey, that'd still be more than I'd make as a psych major :laugh:

Hi!

Thanks a lot!!!
u'all