Admission Requirements Clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bavvb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm researching post baccs right now and I'm a little confused. Why are MCAT scores and such important in applying to post baccs. I was under the impression the post baccs were designed to help you improve areas you are lacking in so why does it seem like applying to post baccs are pretty much the same as med schools with EC's and MCAT scores and whatnot.

Additionally could someone clarify what criteria post bacc programs look at in admissions; basically could someone summarize a checklist for an "ideal" applicant. Sorry if I'm being dense and thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm researching post baccs right now and I'm a little confused. Why are MCAT scores and such important in applying to post baccs. I was under the impression the post baccs were designed to help you improve areas you are lacking in so why does it seem like applying to post baccs are pretty much the same as med schools with EC's and MCAT scores and whatnot.

Additionally could someone clarify what criteria post bacc programs look at in admissions; basically could someone summarize a checklist for an "ideal" applicant. Sorry if I'm being dense and thanks for the help!
Assuming we are talking about academic-enhancers, they want to see proof that your GPA doesn't reflect your academic abilities. If a students has the audacity to try and get into an allopathic med school, despite a low GPA and a low MCAT score, well...

They are more often than not done for GPA enhancement not MCAT scores. I dont see a reason why anyone would enter a post bacc problem to address MCAT deficiencies (although some do offer MCAT classes). MCAT cut offs are fairly lenient as well and some even accept the GRE.

Furthermore, they want to see that you can be a solid candidate in one or two years time. If you have no ECs and no progress toward other aspects of the applications they would not take you in because their program wouldnt be enough to help you. Its more of a GPA redemption and supplementation to other aspects of the app.