Admission w/ Early Undergrad Academic Dishonesty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayxxx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my sophomore year, a paper of mine for a non-science class outside my major was flagged for plagiarism, which I admitted to. This resulted in an suspension and an IA in my file, but nothing is listed on my transcript. I intend to disclose this when I apply, as I believe in taking responsibility for this selfish, foolish action. I am remorseful for my mistake and have grown and moved past it on a personal level, but realize that adcoms will be taking a chance on me during the admissions process. What should an otherwise qualified (3.6 gpa, 520 mcat) podiatry school candidate in this situation expect/prepare for? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you disclose this it’s unlikely you will get in to podiatry school. Plain and simple they have a lot of great applicants and not enough seats so they tend to automatically disqualify people with major red flags. These “major” red flags include cheating, plagiarism, and any misdemeanor or felony

During my sophomore year, a paper of mine for a non-science class outside my major was flagged for plagiarism, which I admitted to. This resulted in an suspension and an IA in my file, but nothing is listed on my transcript. I intend to disclose this when I apply, as I believe in taking responsibility for this selfish, foolish action. I am remorseful for my mistake and have grown and moved past it on a personal level, but realize that adcoms will be taking a chance on me during the admissions process. What should an otherwise qualified (3.6 gpa, 520 mcat) podiatry school candidate in this situation expect/prepare for? Thank you!
apply and let us know what happens.
With these stats, good explanation and mature attitude you have a chance.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you disclose this it’s unlikely you will get in to podiatry school. Plain and simple they have a lot of great applicants and not enough seats so they tend to automatically disqualify people with major red flags. These “major” red flags include cheating, plagiarism, and any misdemeanor or felony

Other way around. There is NOT enough good applicants and seats are left empty every year. Even moreso this year apparently.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't tell if troll or just troll.

Reactions: 1 user

Why exactly are you applying to podiatry instead of MD/DO?

I would apply and if it comes up in an interview than be honest.. otherwise there’s no point really.

I’ve got friends and a brother graduated with a misdemeanor in MD school. Felonies are a different story.

Thank you for your response! Practically speaking, I don't think I have a chance at those programs. The transgression I've made pretty much disqualifies me from any MD program, as there are many more qualified applicants than me who have not made such a huge mistake. I am interested in applying to DO schools, but am concerned for similar reasons. Podiatry appears to be the most realistic way for me accomplish my goal of using a medical career to serve my community at the present. It's also startlingly relevant to my personal interests: I love hiking and long-distance walking (I'm hoping to hike the Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail one day!), and learning how to take care of the part of the body that quite literally supports this passion is a really attractive option to me. The fact that is marginally less expensive is important to me, too. I was lucky enough to have my parents help with financial support during undergrad, but I'll be financing any continuing education myself.

Last edited:
Other way around. There is NOT enough good applicants and seats are left empty every year. Even moreso this year apparently.
Thank you for replying; this is encouraging to hear! Which schools typically have empty seats? I know beggars can't be choosers, but I would love a chance at Samuel Merritt since it's in-state and close enough to my folks that I could potentially live with them to keep cost of living down.

apply and let us know what happens.
With these stats, good explanation and mature attitude you have a chance.
I appreciate your response! Is there anything specific you recommend including in the response?

Right now? Probably all of them. At the end, Kent State for sure since it's so big, and Western only had 37 enrolled last year (it's a class of 50 lol). I'm assuming every school except AZPOD and DMU has seats even at the end (they just get left unfilled).
Is it simply a shortage of applicants? Or a shortage of qualified applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it simply a shortage of applicants? Or a shortage of qualified applicants?
Both. When you're getting to this stage of the game, only qualified people should be applying. The ones who aren't are just giving the schools money via the app fee. lol

Both. When you're getting to this stage of the game, only qualified people should be applying. The ones who aren't are just giving the schools money via the app fee. lol
My worry is that the IA will be a disqualifier and I'll be one of those who is just giving the schools money via the app for free. Is my only chance to be "overqualified" (in other words, as qualified as possible) and apply to the least selective schools?

Thank you for replying; this is encouraging to hear! Which schools typically have empty seats? I know beggars can't be choosers, but I would love a chance at Samuel Merritt since it's in-state and close enough to my folks that I could potentially live with them to keep cost of living down.
Currently go here.

PM if have questions.

With that MCAT? Im sure Podiatry schools will forgive such transgression. you can get away with alot when the first two digits of the MCAT start with 5 and 2.

With that MCAT? Im sure Podiatry schools will forgive such transgression. you can get away with alot when the first two digits of the MCAT start with 5 and 2.
You literally could probably try and rob a bank and they will just look the other way and accept you

Yeah, but he wont get the Dean's to come out and sign the contract NCAA style. Those are for good boys and girls.

You literally could probably try and rob a bank and they will just look the other way and accept you

Contact the schools and ask. Otherwise apply to whatever ones you want. I believe AZpod still has open seats.

Dude...don't disclose anything, apply to MD, get in, become a doctor...if it isn't on your transcript..

Doubtful if podiatry will exist in the future because of duplicative services by NPs, PAs, DPTs, RNs, monkeys, etc

You could say the same about Primary care Family med, yet it is pretty hot right now.

Edit: also, besides surgeon MD/DOs, only Podiatrists can do foot surgery and amputations. I doubt they will ever let nurses do surgery.

Doubtful if podiatry will exist in the future because of duplicative services by NPs, PAs, DPTs, RNs, monkeys, etc

You could say the same about Primary care Family med, yet it is pretty hot right now.

Edit: also, besides surgeon MD/DOs, only Podiatrists can do foot surgery and amputations. I doubt they will ever let nurses do surgery.

Podiatrists cannot do amputations other than toes (maybe). They aren't trained academically, emotionally, or technically. Despite their willingness to do surgery they are not recognized by the ABMS, and not trained in recognized (ACGME) programs. If you want to be a surgeon there's no back door. Go to med school, do your residency, and maybe fellowship. Reading the podiatry threads has a constant theme: Money money money money.

I don't think that answered the question I was posing to OP.

I understand you have a bone to pick with podiatry, but please try to answer relevant questions instead of starting a flame war.

I respect your expertise nonetheless.

I don't think that answered the question I was posing to OP.

I understand you have a bone to pick with podiatry, but please try to answer relevant questions instead of starting a flame war.

I respect your expertise nonetheless.

Not a bone to pick, just picky about academic honesty.

Podiatrists can do toe to partial foot amputations depending on state laws.

Podiatrists go through 4 years of Podiatry school (3 schools in the country take the same classes as Osteopathic Students, side by side and are held to the same standard), 3 years of a Podiatric Medicine and Surgery residency (vast majority with Rear Foot and Ankle certification), and are allowed admitting privileges in the hospital (depending on state law).

This is not the 1980s. Podiatrist are considered in many states to be "Podiatric Physicians and Surgeons". DPMs are not midlevel providers, but independant practitioners.

Many DOs did not train at ACGME programs, are they qualified to be physicians? Or do they lack the emotional maturity as well?

The reason you hear "Money Money Money Money" on the forum all the time is because getting a DPM degree costs around 250-300K in non dischargeable student loans debt. Students want to know that there is a good income after all that sacrifice.

Podiatrists cannot do amputations other than toes (maybe). They aren't trained academically, emotionally, or technically. Despite their willingness to do surgery they are not recognized by the ABMS, and not trained in recognized (ACGME) programs. If you want to be a surgeon there's no back door. Go to med school, do your residency, and maybe fellowship. Reading the podiatry threads has a constant theme: Money money money money.

Reactions: 2 users
Not a bone to pick, just picky about academic honesty.
Fair enough.

I agree services provided by podiatry can be replicated by professions with less education.

As for the comment about surgery, I do not know. I am not there yet.

Your position and experience gives you the luxury of being dismissive to podiatry.
At the end of the day, if you are happy- there is nothing I can say or do to change your opinion.

Bruh. You are retired and from the 80's (we can see your post history, Ahhh technology).
Things are WAY different now for podiatry. Pods DO surgery alot nowadays. Shoot, even pods that did NOT do the now mandatory 3 year surgical residency do full on surgeries, let alone the younger docs and future pods who will be fully trained and allowed to do so. Yes, 30-100 years ago it was different for pods, but it's 2018 brother. Rules, regulations, and education has changed. However, finding goods jobs on the other hand is still an issue.

Rules, regulations, and education has changed. Really? Podiatry students have core clerkships in OB-GYN, Surgery, Peds, IM, Psych? And trainees do 80 hour weeks, make life and death decisions? They sit for the USMLE now? Their credits are transferrable anywhere? How about that ABMS recognition? Your defense of podiatry is admirable from the point of view of a podiatry student. But not much has changed regarding the perception, and actual role of the field in the mainstream. Certainly a lot of foot procedures are performed, and three years of training after graduation are not measurable in quality, rather by time spent (doing what?) Please don't 'inform' us that podiatry school graduates have intense internal medicine (etc)rotations during those three years, or that they are actual participants with physicians tending to managing complex cases—This lends confusion to facilities and perspective recruiters. What sort of training? Where? What metrics are used regarding emotional and intellectual capability. Podiatry is a black box that's managed by a handful of political agendas that make for an abundance of confusion. The nonconformity with the system as it is would contribute to the "finding good jobs" phrase. It's very nice that you've taken the time (ahh technology) to look up my prior posts. The tone of your post has a certain hostility to it, so consider the fact that you and I are simply strangers on the internet with different points of view stemming from different backgrounds, read them again. By the way, I'm not your "bruh"-

Last edited:
They sit for the USMLE now?
You guys try to make USMLE like some Gawd. Doctors were there long before USMLE and will be there when USMLE will get extinct. DO docs don't need to take USMLE and are fine doctors. In all other countries they don't take USMLE and they also have great docs, and even better than ours.

You guys try to make USMLE like some Gawd. Doctors were there long before USMLE and will be there when USMLE will get extinct. DO docs don't need to take USMLE and are fine doctors. In all other countries they don't take USMLE and they also have great docs, and even better than ours.

Hey, you really got me there. It's called USMLE (standardized tests for US medical doctors) because it's the US. Gosh darn it, you really had me. The ECFMG is another standardized test for IMGs. I think we're having a rush to the dumb-down, in the weeds, pick an obscure item phase of strangers on the internet disputing. Since you pick a piece of the whole suggests having little, if any meaningful dialogue. How about this: Give us an alternative metric to use for qualifying for practice of human medicine. I'll go through a list of exams, pick one or two, and let us know if any of these fits the bill for someone vying to practice medicine, and maybe do a neurological surgery, internal medicine, pediatric, etc., residency: The National Board of Naturopathy, The National Podiatry Board, The National Dentistry Board, The National Chiropractic Board. Be mindful that in order to practice medicine in any country there's some qualifying examination(s): From Australia, Great Britain, Germany, to Zimbabwe. I don't think you'll find any. But hey, I'd like to be wrong on this. It'd be great information for folks who didn't pass the board in the US to have a shot at home based hernia repairs, and facial cosmetic surgery. (By the way, DO has its own series of examinations for qualifying to practice medicine in the US). I hope this satisfies your quest to bait me this AM, and look forward to reading your findings.

Hey, you really got me there. It's called USMLE (standardized tests for US medical doctors) because it's the US. Gosh darn it, you really had me. The ECFMG is another standardized test for IMGs. I think we're having a rush to the dumb-down, in the weeds, pick an obscure item phase of strangers on the internet disputing. Since you pick a piece of the whole suggests having little, if any meaningful dialogue. How about this: Give us an alternative metric to use for qualifying for practice of human medicine. I'll go through a list of exams, pick one or two, and let us know if any of these fits the bill for someone vying to practice medicine, and maybe do a neurological surgery, internal medicine, pediatric, etc., residency: The National Board of Naturopathy, The National Podiatry Board, The National Dentistry Board, The National Chiropractic Board. Be mindful that in order to practice medicine in any country there's some qualifying examination(s): From Australia, Great Britain, Germany, to Zimbabwe. I don't think you'll find any. But hey, I'd like to be wrong on this. It'd be great information for folks who didn't pass the board in the US to have a shot at home based hernia repairs, and facial cosmetic surgery. (By the way, DO has its own series of examinations for qualifying to practice medicine in the US). I hope this satisfies your quest to bait me this AM, and look forward to reading your findings.
How did this thread turn into a pissing contest? Podiatry is what it is.. Its not a "super secret backdoor into surgery" like some people say. Its a profession that dabbles in dermatology, wound care, surgery, and most things concerning the foot and ankle. Yes there are concerns and negatives, which most are aware of when they apply. So if you have problems with podiatry then try and implement changes in an effective way instead of coming onto a podiatric forum and trying to intentionally ruffle feathers with emotional comments. Podiatry not going to be eaten up by mid-levels or *monkeys* like you stated. Your comments are completely opinionated and don't come with any statistical evidence. You literally came on this thread with one agenda and based on your fueled, biased comments you lost a lot of credibility. SO dont expect to be listened to.

How did this thread turn into a pissing contest? Podiatry is what it is.. Its not a "super secret backdoor into surgery" like some people say. Its a profession that dabbles in dermatology, wound care, surgery, and most things concerning the foot and ankle. Yes there are concerns and negatives, which most are aware of when they apply. So if you have problems with podiatry then try and implement changes in an effective way instead of coming onto a pediatric forum and trying to intentionally ruffle feathers with emotional comments. Podiatry not going to be eaten up by mid-levels or *monkeys* like you stated. Your comments are completely opinionated and don't come with any statistical evidence. You literally came on this thread with one agenda and based on your fueled, biased comments you lost a lot of credibility. SO dont expect to be listened to.

It turned into a 'pissing' contest when critical thinking entered the site. How can you 'dabble' in dermatology, 'dabble' in surgery, and so on. I'm not going to take a phrase, cut and paste, and build an argument. Podiatry is already being eaten by midlevels. You can kid yourself all you like, but dabbling isn't part of surgical training. Yes, my opinions are opinionated, and statistical evidence is often interpreted by the provider of that evidence. A statistics course in college would've enlightened the author of the post. Nonetheless I didn't start posting about your field until you migrated here. I don't listen to the the thread because the computer screen would irritate my ear. However, read the heading, and OP, and consider that your post would play better for your particular audience. Holy smokes, this IS a podiatry site, my mistake—I thought this was on the allo threads on academic dishonesty. Forget everything I'd written, and stick to your thing, I'll stay out of your neighborhood in the future.

Well, what constitutes a physician/surgeon? You mentioned the USMLE. There are many DO students in the country with full practicing rights doing surgery and medicine only having taken the COMLEX. Are these DO's physicians? Are osteopathic residencies less rigorous than MD? I suppose that is why there is an effort to standardize them.

Currently, there are 3 podiatry schools in the United States that take the same classes with Osteopathic students. They are held to the same standard as the DO's and take the same exams (save for Boards).

Podiatrists rotating through residencies have to have the background and knowlage of all specialties with the exception of OBGYN and Psych.

Podiatrists now manage very complex cases, and have admitting privileges to hospitals.

I understand your incredulity to the profession, you've been in medicine for many years and at a time where the standards were lower. I think most people appreciate the feedback, so thank you.

Rules, regulations, and education has changed. Really? Podiatry students have core clerkships in OB-GYN, Surgery, Peds, IM, Psych? And trainees do 80 hour weeks, make life and death decisions? They sit for the USMLE now? Their credits are transferrable anywhere? How about that ABMS recognition? Your defense of podiatry is admirable from the point of view of a podiatry student. But not much has changed regarding the perception, and actual role of the field in the mainstream. Certainly a lot of foot procedures are performed, and three years of training after graduation are not measurable in quality, rather by time spent (doing what?) Please don't 'inform' us that podiatry school graduates have intense internal medicine (etc)rotations during those three years, or that they are actual participants with physicians tending to managing complex cases—This lends confusion to facilities and perspective recruiters. What sort of training? Where? What metrics are used regarding emotional and intellectual capability. Podiatry is a black box that's managed by a handful of political agendas that make for an abundance of confusion. The nonconformity with the system as it is would contribute to the "finding good jobs" phrase. It's very nice that you've taken the time (ahh technology) to look up my prior posts. The tone of your post has a certain hostility to it, so consider the fact that you and I are simply strangers on the internet with different points of view stemming from different backgrounds, read them again. By the way, I'm not your "bruh"-

It turned into a 'pissing' contest when critical thinking entered the site. How can you 'dabble' in dermatology, 'dabble' in surgery, and so on. I'm not going to take a phrase, cut and paste, and build an argument. Podiatry is already being eaten by midlevels. You can kid yourself all you like, but dabbling isn't part of surgical training. Yes, my opinions are opinionated, and statistical evidence is often interpreted by the provider of that evidence. A statistics course in college would've enlightened the author of the post. Nonetheless I didn't start posting about your field until you migrated here. I don't listen to the the thread because the computer screen would irritate my ear. However, read the heading, and OP, and consider that your post would play better for your particular audience. Holy smokes, this IS a podiatry site, my mistake—I thought this was on the allo threads on academic dishonesty. Forget everything I'd written, and stick to your thing, I'll stay out of your neighborhood in the future.

.....Seriously?

You can tell a lot about a man when you look at how he treats his colleagues.

Even after talking about the amount of respect you give other MD/DOs within your profession in other posts, you still take the time to s*** on other health professions.

If this was out of mistake, I'd love to see how two faced you are in real life. At least you were able to tell us how you really feel about podiatry.

Reactions: 2 users
It turned into a 'pissing' contest when critical thinking entered the site. How can you 'dabble' in dermatology, 'dabble' in surgery, and so on.
Because thats exactly what they do..? They deal with dermatological issues of the foot and ankle... They deal with surgeries of the foot and ankle.. Kind of self explanatory
I'll stay out of your neighborhood in the future.
Dont let the door hit you where the good Lord split you

It sounds like you are at that age where the internet seems new, so I suggest a site called google.com, learn it, use it, do your research then come back if you have 'real' questions, because for an attending you certainly have a lot to say in a pre-pod forum!

And, whatever you been smoking, let us know. Hope that door smacks your face on your way out!

Last edited:
I appreciate your response! Is there anything specific you recommend including in the response?

There is no way for anyone to know what an Adcom will do by looking through your app and the IA.
You should disclose it, explain it as much as you can and see what happens.
If there is a Podiatry school in your state of residence then I suggest visiting the school and asking these questions directly to an Adcom before applying.
Let us know. GL!

I believe you will still have schools bite and send you IIs despite the IA. Do your best to articulate and express how you have changed, but do not make it all you talk about at your interviews. Make sure you show them your good qualities, not just the one bad mistake you made.

I would say that first of all do not lie or be dishonest in anyway......with that being said pay attention to the questions that are asked both during the interviews if applicable and on any application. If the answer is yes than say yes. If the answer is no than say no. If the question is not asked than no response is needed. It would probably be worth the assistance of a lawyer during the application process for probably $300-$500 to assist you and be well worth it for this situation if you are not certain. As with everything in life do not lie but with that being said you do not want to say too much either if information is not needed or requested.

To be blunt you were obviously young as a sophomore student and if this incident is not recorded on your transcript.....unless a question is presented to you such as have you been cited for academic misconduct etc. or a similar question than it is probably not in your interest to speak of this event unless you are asked about it. My assumption is academic misconduct would be a serious red flag.....my suggestion is too simply answer the questions which are asked of you...nothing more...nothing less. good luck

You could get into an MD school with those stats

You will be asked as part of the AMCAS, AACOMAS, or APMAS or any application for graduate/professional school if you have any academic dishonesty or institutional action on your record. It's a yes/no check box in the online app. At that point, it would be up to the individual school whether they consider this and/or how heavily to weigh that information. I probably wouldn't bother hiring a lawyer to help you complete your application, just be honest in answering the questions in front of you and don't bring it up in an interview unless you are asked about it.
I am honestly not sure how much one incident would affect your chances. My sense would be that if it came down to either you or someone else with the exact same stats and without an IA, you would probably be passed up, but if you find that to be the case, then the podiatric admission standard is a lot higher than it was when I was applying.
Be prepared to answer questions about what you learned from the experience. I doubt you would be asked to rehash the who, what, when, where, how, and why in an interview.