This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouldyb

Reaction score
Hey all! I could use some advice in admissions/career paths, if anyone has anything to add it would be appreciated. Just a little background so you have a grasp on my current application, I graduated with a B.S. in Health Science and Psychology, 3.85 overall GPA and 4.0 Psychology GPA. Strong GRE (need to pull those exact numbers but they were good enough lol). A decent amount of clinical volunteer experience, local domestic violence center and several programs at the university I work for such as a suicide prevention program and sexual assaults help center. (Side note-hoping my current job might aid me in getting a Grad assistant position even at programs where RA positions are limited)

Unfortunately, my last two years of school were majorly changed by COVID. The only research experience I could get were courses I took, as ,my school went totally remote. This included research methods and designs, and psychology research course that included a research thesis project. I did get into a psychology masters program for this Fall, but found out you get little to no physical research product at this program (besides the student thesis so no RA positions to get a poster or name on published piece, etc.) which made me back out and defer my position. I did not want a masters just to get a masters. I wanted a masters to help me get into a Counseling Psych PhD or PsyD program. Unfortunately, I am not in a financial position to be super flexible and volunteer full time at a lab or something along those lines....so I have been feeling very discouraged in my goal being possible. I know this is the career I want to pursue, I tried to enjoy my office job for financial reasons, but it has only confirmed deeper how much I wanted to pursue my passion within psychology. But it does not seem very realistic....even if I get into a program then the loans I would have to take out just to get through grad school...ahhh! Any advice on admissions, and the career in general would be great. If these are fears you all faced, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Just adding to my thread, but the finances are what are stressing me out the most. I know I could reduce my working hours and pick up more lab hours and get into a program. But that in itself is a difficult thing to afford, and then actual grad school. The assistantships at the school I live near currently only pays about $750 a month. Which means most likely taking out loans to afford to live for four or so years. I know long-term I can make decent money in the profession, but is it enough to not feel the burden of student debt forever....I am also married so I just have more guilt about hurting both of our financial situation, not just my own. Does anyone have any advice on this topic? Or personal stories that may shed on light on my worries!

*apologies if this is not clear, this a stress rambling post, lol!*

I can't speak as much to the Counseling PhDs, but the reputable PsyDs will also want to see some meaningful research experience. So, the lack of that will definitely hurt, particularly as those are the non-diploma mills that have full or partial funding available.

Before you make any decisions, I'd sketch out some projections and budgets. First, what are the internships and postdocs like in your area? Are you prepared to move for those opportunities? Or would you have to take additional years and re-apply if you do not get accepted within a limited geographic area? How much in student loans can you reasonably afford? Look at projected costs, see how much you'd take out for tuition and living expenses, and see what the loan payments would be per month at a certain interest rate. Also, what do you want to do day in and day out in your career? Might those interests be served better as a midlevel (e.g., only want to do therapy)?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak as much to the Counseling PhDs, but the reputable PsyDs will also want to see some meaningful research experience. So, the lack of that will definitely hurt, particularly as those are the non-diploma mills that have full or partial funding available.

Before you make any decisions, I'd sketch out some projections and budgets. First, what are the internships and postdocs like in your area? Are you prepared to move for those opportunities? Or would you have to take additional years and re-apply if you do not get accepted within a limited geographic area? How much in student loans can you reasonably afford? Look at projected costs, see how much you'd take out for tuition and living expenses, and see what the loan payments would be per month at a certain interest rate. Also, what do you want to do day in and day out in your career? Might those interests be served better as a midlevel (e.g., only want to do therapy)?

Thank you for the advice! I have considered just going mid-level. But I really would like my doctoral degree for several reasons, one being I really enjoy teaching and would like to keep that option open at the university level. However, my dream job would be working as a Psychologist for a university, I really enjoy impacting that age group. And from who I have spoken with, you need the doctoral title to be considered for those type of positions. I am just having a hard time finding research opportunities that will allow me to work as much as I need to...I may need to just take additional time before applying.

I will make a budget and project of budgets, thank you for the advice!

+1 to Wisneuro

Counseling psych programs are similar to other programs in terms of what we value. We consider a wide array of things, but research speaks strongly. Each year, the most competitive candidates at my program (and numerous other programs where I have close friends at training directors or faculty around the country), this holds up.

As to your job, this would likely not weigh heavily in consideration for a GAship. More frequently, there are other considerations (e.g., faculty negotions, reward for research production, general competitiveness during interviews [if they have them for certain positions], expertise in the area of the GAship, etc). I would encourage you to look for programs with strong funding, if you decide to go that route.

With respect to working at a unviersity
1. do you mean as a faculty, or do you mean at a counseling center?

If the former, then yes. If the later, I encourage you to check the staff listings at many of these sites. Many (most, I assume, frankly) utilize midlevel providers. While the largest number of providers may be psychologists, this is not (itself) a limitation to the exact career.
etc etc

Reactions: 1 users
The assistantships at the school I live near currently only pays about $750 a month. Which means most likely taking out loans to afford to live for four or so years.
You should consider the possibility of taking out loans for 6 years as you budget. Finishing schooling in 4 years is more likely for people who are really on the ball with research and can get going pretty quickly with a viable thesis and then move smoothly into their dissertation. Given barriers you’ve had with gaining research experience, spending 5 years on campus is a possibility. Predoctoral internship salaries are in the low 20s so depending on cost of living and your spouse’s income, loans may also be needed. Plus matching to an internship (especially if you’re geographically limited for family reasons) is not guaranteed.

However, my dream job would be working as a Psychologist for a university, I really enjoy impacting that age group. And from who I have spoken with, you need the doctoral title to be considered for those type of positions.
I worked in Student Affairs for 4 years after finishing undergrad and initially had this goal. However, the combination of needing to be on call for emergencies, counseling centers paying some of the lowest salaries in our field, and developing other interests pushed me into other areas that were actually a better fit. That’s not to say this isn’t a good fit for you but also project decades down the line and how you might feel when you are in a very different phase of life compared to undergrads and whether this work might still feel as appealing.

Lastly, the counseling center at my small liberal arts undergrad was run by a psychologist but all the other staff had MS degrees. At my large state university in a rural-ish area where I went to grad school, everybody including the director was a midlevel. Now this will vary, especially in metros and at ‘prestigious’ institutions.

Thank you for the advice! I have considered just going mid-level. But I really would like my doctoral degree for several reasons, one being I really enjoy teaching and would like to keep that option open at the university level. However, my dream job would be working as a Psychologist for a university, I really enjoy impacting that age group. And from who I have spoken with, you need the doctoral title to be considered for those type of positions. I am just having a hard time finding research opportunities that will allow me to work as much as I need to...I may need to just take additional time before applying.

I will make a budget and project of budgets, thank you for the advice!
Do you mean a therapist at a college based mental health center? Because may universities hire master's level staff to be therapists with them. Now, if you'd like to do, research, assessments, or take on more intense leadership positions within college mental health centers, then yes, you would need to be a psychologist. But you do not need to have a PhD/PsyD in order be a counselor/therapist in those settings. I've trained at and have peers who have trained in those settings and master's level clinicians do individual and group therapy and have taken on leadership roles.

Is this a psychology master's program that prepares you for master's level counseling licensure? Or is it simply an additional degree with more psychology classes? If it's the latter without any formal research opportunities, then I would strongly encourage you not to attend. The primary reason people get a master's in psychology that is non-licensure is because that degree provided research mentorship and opportunities which made them competitive for a doctoral program. If it is a program that prepares you for master's level licensure, that can be a positive. SOME counseling programs actually want you to come in with a master's and if you don't get into a program the first round, you can practice and continue gaining clinical experience.

It's possible to still do research while you are in the master's program, even if the program itself is not research oriented. I did this. I chose a university that did a lot of research and where faculty who would be teaching me engaged in research. Universities where their master's in counseling program shares a program with their doctoral counseling program are a great resource for this. You can get involved in the research labs of the professors teaching you, learn more about how to be a doctoral student from the students in the lab, get your research experience, and secure some solid recommendation letters as well. Even if that's not the case, any university should have a psychology program and those programs likely include staff who do research. I would email and reach out to see if you can get involved that way. You don't need to research full time and you certainly don't need to volunteer. The amount of time isn't as important as the productivity. While doing these, did you present, publish, or get involved substantively in the research process? That's what doctoral programs will be looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
+1 to Wisneuro

Counseling psych programs are similar to other programs in terms of what we value. We consider a wide array of things, but research speaks strongly. Each year, the most competitive candidates at my program (and numerous other programs where I have close friends at training directors or faculty around the country), this holds up.

As to your job, this would likely not weigh heavily in consideration for a GAship. More frequently, there are other considerations (e.g., faculty negotions, reward for research production, general competitiveness during interviews [if they have them for certain positions], expertise in the area of the GAship, etc). I would encourage you to look for programs with strong funding, if you decide to go that route.

With respect to working at a unviersity
1. do you mean as a faculty, or do you mean at a counseling center?

If the former, then yes. If the later, I encourage you to check the staff listings at many of these sites. Many (most, I assume, frankly) utilize midlevel providers. While the largest number of providers may be psychologists, this is not (itself) a limitation to the exact career.
etc etc

For my current job, I work in Financial Aid so I guess what I meant is I am hoping some years of professional experience in higher education would help me gain a GA position in a higher ed administrative role! For example, our office has about 4 GA's on staff. Sorry, that was unclear.

As for long term job goal, I am interested in both at this point...I am sure that will change down the road. But right now, I am interested in staying involved in research but I also have an interested in leadership roles (like those that run counseling centers at universities). Which is why I want to stick to my doctoral goal, however, I know I need more research.

For my current job, I work in Financial Aid so I guess what I meant is I am hoping some years of professional experience in higher education would help me gain a GA position in a higher ed administrative role! For example, our office has about 4 GA's on staff. Sorry, that was unclear.

As for long term job goal, I am interested in both at this point...I am sure that will change down the road. But right now, I am interested in staying involved in research but I also have an interested in leadership roles (like those that run counseling centers at universities). Which is why I want to stick to my doctoral goal, however, I know I need more research.

If you want to keep the research path open, it is even more vitally important not to get sucked into the diploma mill trap. They will not prepare you, nor will you be competitive for research positions heading forward.

You should consider the possibility of taking out loans for 6 years as you budget. Finishing schooling in 4 years is more likely for people who are really on the ball with research and can get going pretty quickly with a viable thesis and then move smoothly into their dissertation. Given barriers you’ve had with gaining research experience, spending 5 years on campus is a possibility. Predoctoral internship salaries are in the low 20s so depending on cost of living and your spouse’s income, loans may also be needed. Plus matching to an internship (especially if you’re geographically limited for family reasons) is not guaranteed.

I worked in Student Affairs for 4 years after finishing undergrad and initially had this goal. However, the combination of needing to be on call for emergencies, counseling centers paying some of the lowest salaries in our field, and developing other interests pushed me into other areas that were actually a better fit. That’s not to say this isn’t a good fit for you but also project decades down the line and how you might feel when you are in a very different phase of life compared to undergrads and whether this work might still feel as appealing.

Lastly, the counseling center at my small liberal arts undergrad was run by a psychologist but all the other staff had MS degrees. At my large state university in a rural-ish area where I went to grad school, everybody including the director was a midlevel. Now this will vary, especially in metros and at ‘prestigious’ institutions.

Budget wise that is a great note, thank you!

And that is really good to know you had a similar path to where I am right now! I am in the Financial Aid office, but yes....I think being in a university setting may skew my point of view at the moment wanting to stay in the system. Right now I like the idea of a leadership position within a counseling center, but I am spilt because I also would like to stay involved with research and teaching. Which the options for that would be limited mid-level.....my other concern with a mid level degree is the considerable less pay according to the internet at least. Whether that be a leadership position, teaching, or counseling.

Do you mean a therapist at a college based mental health center? Because may universities hire master's level staff to be therapists with them. Now, if you'd like to do, research, assessments, or take on more intense leadership positions within college mental health centers, then yes, you would need to be a psychologist. But you do not need to have a PhD/PsyD in order be a counselor/therapist in those settings. I've trained at and have peers who have trained in those settings and master's level clinicians do individual and group therapy and have taken on leadership roles.

Is this a psychology master's program that prepares you for master's level counseling licensure? Or is it simply an additional degree with more psychology classes? If it's the latter without any formal research opportunities, then I would strongly encourage you not to attend. The primary reason people get a master's in psychology that is non-licensure is because that degree provided research mentorship and opportunities which made them competitive for a doctoral program. If it is a program that prepares you for master's level licensure, that can be a positive. SOME counseling programs actually want you to come in with a master's and if you don't get into a program the first round, you can practice and continue gaining clinical experience.

It's possible to still do research while you are in the master's program, even if the program itself is not research oriented. I did this. I chose a university that did a lot of research and where faculty who would be teaching me engaged in research. Universities where their master's in counseling program shares a program with their doctoral counseling program are a great resource for this. You can get involved in the research labs of the professors teaching you, learn more about how to be a doctoral student from the students in the lab, get your research experience, and secure some solid recommendation letters as well. Even if that's not the case, any university should have a psychology program and those programs likely include staff who do research. I would email and reach out to see if you can get involved that way. You don't need to research full time and you certainly don't need to volunteer. The amount of time isn't as important as the productivity. While doing these, did you present, publish, or get involved substantively in the research process? That's what doctoral programs will be looking for.

Right now I am thinking more leadership position within a counseling center, but as noted by "summerbabe", that goal will most likely morph. More importantly I do not want a mid level degree and to close the door on research and teaching at a high level.

The program I was admitted to does not lead to licensure, but is a thesis track. But when I pressed whether the funding would be from RA positions or GA positions it was confirmed that masters students do not get RA positions at this program and little opportunity to publish or get their name on anything besides their thesis. Additionally, not being a licensure track worried me because if your research is not enough to get you into a program and you have no license.....that is a sticky situation post grad! But that is good to hear that you were able to complete additional research than the program offered itself. I have reached out to the labs near me the past year, but they were not allowed to allow volunteers into their labs due to COVID until this fall.....and then they said they were full. But I will reach out to more professors that I have not yet spoken with. Thank you!

If you want to keep the research path open, it is even more vitally important not to get sucked into the diploma mill trap. They will not prepare you, nor will you be competitive for research positions heading forward.
When people refer to diploma mills... do you have any examples so I know to stay clear? These do not include normal universities do they? Like public universities like Georgia Southern?

When people refer to diploma mills... do you have any examples so I know to stay clear? These do not include normal universities do they? Like public universities like Georgia Southern?
This is more of the Argosy (now defunct), Alliant (there are a couple "ok" ones), Albizu, Chicago School type places. Far better chance of good training and funding with university based programs, be they PhD or PsyD.

I am hoping some years of professional experience in higher education would help me gain a GA position in a higher ed administrative role! For example, our office has about 4 GA's on staff.
For the modal fully funded PhD program, your funding is tied to your department so you’ll be assigned to teach, TA, RA, or something else in the department each semester. Some partially funded programs might guarantee a year or two of department funding but then you’re on your own to find competitive GAs around campus and your experience will help.
I think being in a university setting may skew my point of view at the moment wanting to stay in the system. Right now I like the idea of a leadership position within a counseling center, but I am spilt because I also would like to stay involved with research and teaching.
Assuming you're in your early 20s, the university world naturally looms large. I'd look into professional networking opportunities in your area (regional psychologist associations, local mental health provider groups, etc) to expand your perspective of what mental health professionals can do.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to get more research experience while continuing to form your idea of an ideal career. You might find the process of doing research a miserable way to spend your time. Or something that you're deeply passionate about. Or something you're capable to doing but not especially drawn to.

And a lot of people go into grad school naturally wanting to keep every door open but from a practical perspective once you move into this career, it's really really hard to have that kind of mix because the person/organization paying us for a salaried job will have some really specific goals in mind and doing stuff beyond that generally impacts work-life balance (e.g., adjunct teaching is available to everybody but do you really want to teach night classes after working 8+ hours and then spending weekends grading?).
my other concern with a mid level degree is the considerable less pay according to the internet at least.
Yes, there are mid-levels working in entry level community mental health-type positions who are criminally underpaid. But I also guarantee there are mid-levels with thriving private practices in your area (unless you live somewhere with significantly above-average poverty) who are better off financially than the director of your university counseling center. And plenty of mid-levels, especially LCSWs, work their way up to assume significant leadership roles in their organizations.

For the modal fully funded PhD program, your funding is tied to your department so you’ll be assigned to teach, TA, RA, or something else in the department each semester. Some partially funded programs might guarantee a year or two of department funding but then you’re on your own to find competitive GAs around campus and your experience will help.

Assuming you're in your early 20s, the university world naturally looms large. I'd look into professional networking opportunities in your area (regional psychologist associations, local mental health provider groups, etc) to expand your perspective of what mental health professionals can do.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to get more research experience while continuing to form your idea of an ideal career. You might find the process of doing research a miserable way to spend your time. Or something that you're deeply passionate about. Or something you're capable to doing but not especially drawn to.

And a lot of people go into grad school naturally wanting to keep every door open but from a practical perspective once you move into this career, it's really really hard to have that kind of mix because the person/organization paying us for a salaried job will have some really specific goals in mind and doing stuff beyond that generally impacts work-life balance (e.g., adjunct teaching is available to everybody but do you really want to teach night classes after working 8+ hours and then spending weekends grading?).

Yes, there are mid-levels working in entry level community mental health-type positions who are criminally underpaid. But I also guarantee there are mid-levels with thriving private practices in your area (unless you live somewhere with significantly above-average poverty) who are better off financially than the director of your university counseling center. And plenty of mid-levels, especially LCSWs, work their way up to assume significant leadership roles in their organizations.
Thank you for all the advice! I think I maybe should take a chill pill and gather research rather than rushing. You are right I am in my early 20s, so I'm still figuring many things out lol!

I have another question for anyone that may know....there is a "Clinical Mental Health Counseling, M.Ed." at the school I am working for, which I could potentially look into. I have a friend who is in that program and aiming to get her LPC so that she can work for a year after graduating, then plans on applying to APA accredited Counseling Psychology PhDs and School Psychology programs. She also volunteers as a research assistant. Is this a possible path? I do not want to be rude and question her life plan, lol, I do not know her *that* well. But this does seem like a path that could potentially allow for more income part-time/between degrees but I am unsure. Just like to know my options!

Thank you for all the advice! I think I maybe should take a chill pill and gather research rather than rushing. You are right I am in my early 20s, so I'm still figuring many things out lol!

I have another question for anyone that may know....there is a "Clinical Mental Health Counseling, M.Ed." at the school I am working for, which I could potentially look into. I have a friend who is in that program and aiming to get her LPC so that she can work for a year after graduating, then plans on applying to APA accredited Counseling Psychology PhDs and School Psychology programs. She also volunteers as a research assistant. Is this a possible path? I do not want to be rude and question her life plan, lol, I do not know her *that* well. But this does seem like a path that could potentially allow for more income part-time/between degrees but I am unsure. Just like to know my options!

If I had to choose between midlevel degrees, LCSW no question. Most flexibility in terms of jobs. May be regionally dependent, but these are where the bulk of therapy jobs are going in institutional settings here.

Your friend's path is a viable one, but could get expensive and not be the fastest way there. To get licensed in many states, LMHC/LPCs need hours after graduating to get licensed that are often difficult to get supervision for. Something to research before jumping in. If she gets into a counseling psych PhD program, less problems. However, it is unlikely that he masters degree would save much time in getting the PhD.

I agree that LCSW seems like the best mid-level option for therapy folks. More health insurances accept them and you can work as a facility SW for money while getting therapy hours to be a licensed therapist if that is required.

Psychiatric nurse practitioner is also a good bang for your buck career and is allowed to perform psychotherapy and prescribe meds.

Your friend's path is a viable one, but could get expensive and not be the fastest way there. To get licensed in many states, LMHC/LPCs need hours after graduating to get licensed that are often difficult to get supervision for. Something to research before jumping in. If she gets into a counseling psych PhD program, less problems. However, it is unlikely that he masters degree would save much time in getting the PhD.

I agree that LCSW seems like the best mid-level option for therapy folks. More health insurances accept them and you can work as a facility SW for money while getting therapy hours to be a licensed therapist if that is required.

Psychiatric nurse practitioner is also a good bang for your buck career and is allowed to perform psychotherapy and prescribe meds.

I was thinking that might be the case! But wanted those to ask those who know more than me, sounded a bit idealistic.

On a happy note, I heard back about an opportunity to get involved in research! Probably will have to wait until the next application cycle to build up the research, but a step the right way.

If we're talking solely about bang-for-the-buck, I would agree, and would also include RN (very good salaries for a bachelor's degree profession) and CRNA (ungodly amounts of money for the training, especially if you beat what seems to be the upcoming everyone-race-for-a-doctorate DNAP req deadline).

For therapy-related midlevel degrees, I also agree RE: LCSW

If we're talking solely about bang-for-the-buck, I would agree, and would also include RN (very good salaries for a bachelor's degree profession) and CRNA (ungodly amounts of money for the training, especially if you beat what seems to be the upcoming everyone-race-for-a-doctorate DNAP req deadline).

For therapy-related midlevel degrees, I also agree RE: LCSW
This is just temporary because of COVID, but a large local hospital is paying $100/hour plus a $100 per shift bonus for nurses in several different departments. There are plenty of positions open because the nurses are getting burnt out so fast from COVID and other issues, but it makes me wish I could be picking up that kind of cash right now.

This is just temporary because of COVID, but a large local hospital is paying $100/hour plus a $100 per shift bonus for nurses in several different departments. There are plenty of positions open because the nurses are getting burnt out so fast from COVID and other issues, but it makes me wish I could be picking up that kind of cash right now.
Yep, there was an NPR story the other day about the pay for traveling nurses right now, and the person they interviewed was also getting $100/hour.

I have a family member who just accepted an entry level nurse manager position (RN) for $100k. Puts things in perspective for us I think.