Admitted: to go or not to go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmasaur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm a long time lurker and I got the courage to finally post something. I've finally been accepted to pharmacy school (a few at that) and I always saw the PharmD as a versatile degree that I could use to work in many fields, I was particularly interested in clinical research but the more I look into it, the less jobs there seems to be available in industry/research for pharmacists. I think I was honestly just kidding myself with that and now that it's time to make the leap...I don't know, I'm getting bad feelings. I don't know if I want to go anymore. Would you guys think it's better to go for a different opportunity that starts out at 65K, but maxes at 80K after several years with no opportunities to advance, OR go for the PharmD in a poor market but have "hope" that it is more versatile and that if I work hard I can make something out of it. Problem is, I'm sure most pharmacy students are ambitious and have similar goals so I fear I'd be a small fish in a big pond. I'm in California, like a lot of other posters here :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone - I'm a long time lurker and I got the courage to finally post something. I've finally been accepted to pharmacy school (a few at that) and I always saw the PharmD as a versatile degree that I could use to work in many fields, I was particularly interested in clinical research but the more I look into it, the less jobs there seems to be available in industry/research for pharmacists. I think I was honestly just kidding myself with that and now that it's time to make the leap...I don't know, I'm getting bad feelings. I don't know if I want to go anymore. Would you guys think it's better to go for a different opportunity that starts out at 65K, but maxes at 80K after several years with no opportunities to advance, OR go for the PharmD in a poor market but have "hope" that it is more versatile and that if I work hard I can make something out of it. Problem is, I'm sure most pharmacy students are ambitious and have similar goals so I fear I'd be a small fish in a big pond. I'm in California, like a lot of other posters here :D

How much will you have to borrow?

Will you relocate from California?

Did you get into a school that has been established since at least 2000?

The answers to the above questions will yield the answer.

I always saw the PharmD as a versatile degree that I could use to work in many fields

Right now, it's a versatile degree; you can work at Starbucks, Home Depot, Pizza Hut, a convenience store, etc. assuming they don't tell you to FOAD as soon as they see that you have a pharmacy degree. Ask me how I know this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now, it's a versatile degree; you can work at Starbucks, Home Depot, Pizza Hut, a convenience store, etc. assuming they don't tell you to FOAD as soon as they see that you have a pharmacy degree. Ask me how I know this.

she speaks the truth. if you were my child, unless you had a full scholarship and were trying to "find yourself" there is absolutely no way i would let you go to pharmacy school. the time investment, lack of jobs, lack of realistic opportunities is not worth a penny. i don't want to destroy your "dream" if your dream is to be unemployed, in a lot of debt, be treated like garbage by your superiors and customers, then that is your dream.

it isnt different in hospital either. you will be treated like **** by superiors. you will be expected to be their slave or servant. you will hate your life if you stay in pharmacy. i do not know of any pharmacists happy with what they are doing.

Many of you know this story already, but I'll post it again for those of you who haven't.

Last year, when I was still on my lengthy job hunt, one place I interviewed at told me that many people who apply for and/or do residencies really don't want to, but they are going this route just so they will have a job that pays more than minimum wage. :( They sure weren't expecting to have to do this when they started out.

Even 3 years ago, I would have recommended pharmacy to anyone who really wanted to do it, although from the outset, I ALWAYS told prospective students to get a job in a pharmacy - any pharmacy - before making that kind of commitment. I've known plenty of people who found the theory fascinating but the actual practice, shall we say, not so.

During the Christmas vacation, we had a young lady who came in for several afternoons to job shadow, and she was really excited about this and I had to keep biting my tongue to keep from discouraging her. I just didn't think that was the right time or place to do this.

Many of you know this story already, but I'll post it again for those of you who haven't.

Last year, when I was still on my lengthy job hunt, one place I interviewed at told me that many people who apply for and/or do residencies really don't want to, but they are going this route just so they will have a job that pays more than minimum wage. :( They sure weren't expecting to have to do this when they started out.

Even 3 years ago, I would have recommended pharmacy to anyone who really wanted to do it, although from the outset, I ALWAYS told prospective students to get a job in a pharmacy - any pharmacy - before making that kind of commitment. I've known plenty of people who found the theory fascinating but the actual practice, shall we say, not so.

During the Christmas vacation, we had a young lady who came in for several afternoons to job shadow, and she was really excited about this and I had to keep biting my tongue to keep from discouraging her. I just didn't think that was the right time or place to do this.

Easier said than done.

How much will you have to borrow?

Will you relocate from California?

Did you get into a school that has been established since at least 2000?

The answers to the above questions will yield the answer.

1. Between 150 to 190k for whole length of school
2. No, staying in CA
3. Yes, I did get into legacy schools

Is there a chance to work for pharma or biotech or not really?

If you're serious about getting into research, you need to get a research based graduate degree (not a professional degree). Unless you're going to work as a pharmacist in Pharma or Biotech, a pharmacy degree and license is probably more of a hindrance than a help. Potential employers will see that PharmD as a liability, and a good reason for you to leave in 5 years if the pharmacist market picks back up again.

If you're serious about getting into research, you need to get a research based graduate degree (not a professional degree). Unless you're going to work as a pharmacist in Pharma or Biotech, a pharmacy degree and license is probably more of a hindrance than a help. Potential employers will see that PharmD as a liability, and a good reason for you to leave in 5 years if the pharmacist market picks back up again.

Wow, it is as if you were peaking into thoughts I had recently haha. I have a friend who is about to do his 4th round of interviews in the last 4 years and i think research has a big thing to do with it. He has incredible stats but openly talks about his hope to do research and many schools have used that to say no to him.

2. No, staying in CA

Then the answer is no. California is super-saturated. That loan repayment is too substantial post-California income taxes. I would only even possibly consider it if you got into UCSF and you can guarentee sub <$150K student loans.

I mean, MD's work in clinical research right and clinical trials? I thought PhamD's could obtain a similar position, I get that having a PhD is good for research but I thought with a PharmD you can do more versatile things. I could be wrong. What can a pharmacist do in pharma or biotech then?

Then the answer is no. California is super-saturated. That loan repayment is too substantial post-California income taxes. I would only even possibly consider it if you got into UCSF and you can guarentee sub <$150K student loans.

Yeah, I did get into UCSF actually...I think the tuition is like around 145K, but then I'm not from the Bay area so living costs would be much higher and I would have to take loans out for housing as well because I don't have too much money saved up. I guess I'm in a dilemma because I got into such a great school and I feel like it's a good opportunity to pass up but at the same time I feel like it's a bad idea :confused:

I mean, MD's work in clinical research right and clinical trials? I thought PhamD's could obtain a similar position, I get that having a PhD is good for research but I thought with a PharmD you can do more versatile things. I could be wrong. What can a pharmacist do in pharma or biotech then?

Yeah, I did get into UCSF actually...I think the tuition is like around 145K, but then I'm not from the Bay area so living costs would be much higher and I would have to take loans out for housing as well because I don't have too much money saved up. I guess I'm in a dilemma because I got into such a great school and I feel like it's a good opportunity to pass up but at the same time I feel like it's a bad idea :confused:

Then the answer is no. You don't want to borrow >1x first-year income for school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my personal experience
Last year I have graduated with master degree in pharmaceutical science , an honor student and didn't have to dish out a penny to attend school. I have done so much more than any research student that I have known juggling different projects while i was working on my main one. I didn't want to limit myself to a particular area and decided to explore and decided what direction I want to go. Because of my research results we were granted funds from NIH, we later published a paper (great isn't it?) . I am pretty much capable of doing anything in any area of research and I am not even joking! look at me now...a year later still unemployed...oh did I forget to mention that I live 2 miles away from Research Triangle Park of Durham NC?

On the other hand, my sister is a pharmacist (graduated in 2010) and when I compare between us, I still depend on my family to support me and she is happy, satisfied and independent. I applied to pharmacy schools a month before the cycle closes and received couple of interview invitations... and if I got accepted, I am definitely going.

Last year I have graduated with master degree in pharmaceutical science , an honor student and didn't have to dish out a penny to attend school. I have done so much more than any research student that I have known juggling different projects while i was working on my main one. I didn't want to limit myself to a particular area and decided to explore and decided what direction I want to go. Because of my research results we were granted funds from NIH, we later published a paper (great isn't it?) . I am pretty much capable of doing anything in any area of research and I am not even joking! look at me now...a year later still unemployed...oh did I forget to mention that I live 2 miles away from Research Triangle Park of Durham NC?

On the other hand, my sister is a pharmacist (graduated in 2010) and when I compare between us, I still depend on my family to support me and she is happy, satisfied and independent. I applied to pharmacy schools a month before the cycle closes and received couple of interview invitations... and if I got accepted, I am definitely going.

PrincessMia,

I share that mentality as well. I work for a pharmaceutical company in the RTP and while I've been employed for 4+ years, I'm still choosing to go to Pharmacy school because the job market in pharmaceutical R & D is lacking greatly and the salary is rather poor. While I have experience and I've been able to find jobs in the field without much difficulty, I am the exception rather than the rule. (I interviewed at a new company last week, received a job offer the next day, yada yada.) New grads are having an impossible time finding a job in my field, so hearing about the "troubles" for new pharmacy school grads (which are minor relative to the real world) don't faze me at all.

I have similar thoughts and fears. There is a part of me that sometimes wonders if its a fear of change and/or suceess. Are these thoughts solely coming from within you, or is there an outside influence helping this along? (ie. reading posts that say we are all crazy for doing this). Edit ..... I should have read this entire negative thread before commenting.

Last edited:
she speaks the truth. if you were my child, unless you had a full scholarship and were trying to "find yourself" there is absolutely no way i would let you go to pharmacy school. the time investment, lack of jobs, lack of realistic opportunities is not worth a penny. i don't want to destroy your "dream" if your dream is to be unemployed, in a lot of debt, be treated like garbage by your superiors and customers, then that is your dream.

it isnt different in hospital either. you will be treated like **** by superiors. you will be expected to be their slave or servant. you will hate your life if you stay in pharmacy. i do not know of any pharmacists happy with what they are doing.

What education would you allow you child to get? You left this very important bit of information out.

I have similar thoughts and fears. There is a part of me that sometimes wonders if its a fear of change and/or suceess. Are these thoughts solely coming from within you, or is there an outside influence helping this along? (ie. reading posts that say we are all crazy for doing this). Edit ..... I should have read this entire negative thread before commenting.

I'm sure it has something to do with change/success. Once you choose a field, that title becomes you and you are defined by your role and you "become" that job. I don't know if it's normal cold feet or if I'm realizing I'm doing the wrong thing. But the problem is...I don't know what to do. I thought it was this but I'm not sure anymore :scared:

As for the influence - both internal and external.

negative nancy reporting for work!!

you forgot teaching at a pharmacy technician vocational school part time with no benefits.

Real life experience here folks. Our own colleague sounding the alarm.

And i thought I was negative.

PrincessMia,

I share that mentality as well. I work for a pharmaceutical company in the RTP and while I've been employed for 4+ years, I'm still choosing to go to Pharmacy school because the job market in pharmaceutical R & D is lacking greatly and the salary is rather poor. While I have experience and I've been able to find jobs in the field without much difficulty, I am the exception rather than the rule. (I interviewed at a new company last week, received a job offer the next day, yada yada.) New grads are having an impossible time finding a job in my field, so hearing about the "troubles" for new pharmacy school grads (which are minor relative to the real world) don't faze me at all.

Real question here, with a pharmd are you going in retail, hospiatal, industry? just wondering.

you forgot teaching at a pharmacy technician vocational school part time with no benefits.

Real question here, with a pharmd are you going in retail, hospiatal, industry? just wondering.

Haha good old rph888...

I love hearing from you. The negative outlook you spread just makes me want to stomp on flowers and euthanize puppies. I really don't agree with the severity of your outlook on pharmacy but it is always entertaining to watch you get a rise out of people. :smuggrin:

Rph,

I'm intending to go into industry with my degree. I work with 2 PharmD's at my company, so I'm familiar with the job prospects of the field within industry. Furthermore, as someone who has a Bachelor's and a graduate degree, I'm more than familiar with the job prospects of a PharmD as well as the field within industry.

Thanks for posting this. I'm actually in the same boat as yours as far as the ultimate "To go or not to go" dilemma is concerned. I was so gung-ho about pharmacy at first but didn't look into the job market or cost of tuition until I finally got my acceptance letters.

At this point, I'm debating whether it's better to just use my company's generous tuition reimbursement to get a different degree and come out debt free (along with a great job security) or dive right into pharmacy and explore the unknowns. The scary part is that, like you, I'll be set back at HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars before I get my shiny PharmD title.

**ignore this post.**

Last edited:

If you are thinking about making big bucks after graduating, then you are mistaken. YOU can make big bucks in ANY professions as long as you are cunning and is a hard working individual. If you think about it, most jobs are affected by a poor market, but like I said, if you put in the hard work, then you will have a job.

As for PharmD careers, you can do clinical research with a phD in biological sciences. You don't need professional degrees with this type of careers. Also, most pharmD research focus on epidemiological side of drugs and populations.

If you are thinking about making big bucks after graduating, then you are mistaken. YOU can make big bucks in ANY professions as long as you are cunning and is a hard working individual. If you think about it, most jobs are affected by a poor market, but like I said, if you put in the hard work, then you will have a job.

As for PharmD careers, you can do clinical research with a phD in biological sciences. You don't need professional degrees with this type of careers. Also, most pharmD research focus on epidemiological side of drugs and populations.

I'm not thinking about "big bucks". I'm thinking about stable full-time job with benefits that is relatively non-stressful, AND pays enough to be able to pay off my student loans off in a timely manner while still having left-over $ for the basics.

Thanks for the tip on clinical research.

I'm not thinking about "big bucks". I'm thinking about stable full-time job with benefits that is relatively non-stressful, AND pays enough to be able to pay off my student loans off in a timely manner while still having left-over $ for the basics.

Thanks for the tip on clinical research.

I am afraid that a stable full-time job won't exist without being stressful.

What are your basics? This varies largely from one person to another ;)

Oh I forgot to add this old saying, but keep it in mind, "what is the goal of education?". Are you willing to go to college, spend 4 years of undergrad in biology, then another 4 years in pharmacy, just to go out and count pills at a corner? Money is important, but how much is enough

I am afraid that a stable full-time job won't exist without being stressful.

What are your basics? This varies largely from one person to another ;)

Oh I forgot to add this old saying, but keep it in mind, "what is the goal of education?". Are you willing to go to college, spend 4 years of undergrad in biology, then another 4 years in pharmacy, just to go out and count pills at a corner? Money is important, but how much is enough

lol that's why I said "relatively" non-stressful. Some jobs involve risking their lives....I call that stressful. Working in a hospital pharmacy or behind a counter does not seem stressful to me. Why not? b/c I take 19-24 units of classes per semester, volunteer in 2 research labs, and have a part time job. I am usually out the door at 7 am and come home around 10pm. This used to be stressful but I got used to it...

Anyway, what are my basics? A home, food, and spending money to go out once in a while. I don't need a new car and I don't drop $$ on brand name clothes or similar things.

It's not just the money. I am a private tutor right now and I make good money tutoring rich kids. Everyone tells me I should just open a tutoring business. I would never do that, I chose pharmacy initially because I wanted to develop specialized knowledge in a niche field (I'm an academic at heart), apply it to helping people, and be involved in continuous learning. That's more important than money...but I'm beginning to worry the cost of it is making it not worth the effort.

So instead, you're going to take out more student loan debt, go through four more years of college and into a field where there are more schools opening every year with the economy still going down in flames? Your sister may have a job but you most likely won't. Walgreens is on a nation wide hiring freeze and reimbursements from third parties are declining faster than the stock market after 9/11. That's just the retail side. You want to go clinical? Enter stage left: AT LEAST one year of residency, probably two. The job market there is even smaller. More than likely, you will STILL be unemployed even after your PharmD. Go look at the PharmD forum rather than the Pre-Pharmacy forum. The grass isn't greener.

Don't go.. The world is ending this year anyway - Didn't you hear?

Don't go.. The world is ending this year anyway - Didn't you hear?

If you're not going to provide a helpful response to my question, then please don't respond. You don't look cool.

I also am accepted and have had serious reservations along the way, too. But, at the end of the day, you should seriously consider doing what you are able to do and do it well, I guess. What I'm trying to say is that if you get a PharmD then you'll be able to live a comfortable life doing something interesting and positive, and nobody really cares what you do for a living unless you're buying a house or something like that, which shouldn't be a problem with a pharmacy degree. Also, I'd ignore all the negative "don't do it" posts 'cause these types of responses are from people who are too spoiled to realize that they have it made compared to some 3rd world underage slave in the mines or whatever. I think I'll end up going 'cause it's job security, and unless we have some sort of cataclysm, that is not going to change. Not to mention, a PharmD's still very competitive to achieve and since you're in you should definitely go unless the thought of pharmacy really makes you cringe and you have another idea for your future that seems more fulfilling because a job is a job is a job. . . It's a tough decision, good luck with your decision.

thanks

lol that's why I said "relatively" non-stressful. Some jobs involve risking their lives....I call that stressful. Working in a hospital pharmacy or behind a counter does not seem stressful to me. Why not? b/c I take 19-24 units of classes per semester, volunteer in 2 research labs, and have a part time job. I am usually out the door at 7 am and come home around 10pm. This used to be stressful but I got used to it...

Anyway, what are my basics? A home, food, and spending money to go out once in a while. I don't need a new car and I don't drop $$ on brand name clothes or similar things.

It's not just the money. I am a private tutor right now and I make good money tutoring rich kids. Everyone tells me I should just open a tutoring business. I would never do that, I chose pharmacy initially because I wanted to develop specialized knowledge in a niche field (I'm an academic at heart), apply it to helping people, and be involved in continuous learning. That's more important than money...but I'm beginning to worry the cost of it is making it not worth the effort.

:) I can see you 've worked really hard to achieve your goals. When I set my mind on pharmacy, knowing the job market was bad, I asked myself some specific questions. Of course everyone wants a house like u said, but how big do you want, 3, 4 or 5 bed rooms? What is ur dream car? (Toyota Camry?). U said you would like to spend money to go out once in a while, how much would u like to spend? What kind of restaurant?

If you could answer these specific questions honestly to yourself, you would know how much was enough. Imagine if an employer paid you 70k as a retail pharmacist, would you feel okay? how would you pay ur loan? Income based?

I am sorry I am not trying to be an *******, hope u dont mind ;)

2. No, staying in CA

Hey Pharmasaur, looks like you got a lot of "doom and gloom"/sarcastic responses on this thread (to be expected on SDN) and not a lot of helpful advice.

My advice is to go for it. You'll have plenty of opportunities at UCSF to explore different practice settings. There are definitely pharmD positions at biotech companies. I work for one of the largest biotech companies in the bay and there are plenty of pharmDs that work here.

I went through the same thought process that you are going through now. I am scared to give up my relatively easy (although not fulfilling) job at a biotech where I make a decent salary to go back to school. But, when it comes down to it, I know that getting a pharmD is the right thing for me. You should also seriously consider doing a PhD if you're interested in doing research alone. I'm choosing pharmD because of the clinical aspect as well as the flexibility and patient interactions.

Good luck! BTW, I got accepted to UCSF for next fall, so we'd be classmates if you decide to attend :)

Skimmed the thread, so I apologise if this has already been suggested. OP, there is a fantastic thread on working in industry in the Pharmacy forum. If you haven't already read, it's worth your time.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

:) I can see you 've worked really hard to achieve your goals. When I set my mind on pharmacy, knowing the job market was bad, I asked myself some specific questions. Of course everyone wants a house like u said, but how big do you want, 3, 4 or 5 bed rooms? What is ur dream car? (Toyota Camry?). U said you would like to spend money to go out once in a while, how much would u like to spend? What kind of restaurant?

If you could answer these specific questions honestly to yourself, you would know how much was enough. Imagine if an employer paid you 70k as a retail pharmacist, would you feel okay? how would you pay ur loan? Income based?

I am sorry I am not trying to be an *******, hope u dont mind ;)

Yeah I see your point. No I wouldn't take a 70k job...for 200k loans??? Makes noooooo sense financially. How would I ever pay it all back? Unless there's loan forgiving...

Hey Pharmasaur, looks like you got a lot of "doom and gloom"/sarcastic responses on this thread (to be expected on SDN) and not a lot of helpful advice.

My advice is to go for it. You'll have plenty of opportunities at UCSF to explore different practice settings. There are definitely pharmD positions at biotech companies. I work for one of the largest biotech companies in the bay and there are plenty of pharmDs that work here.

I went through the same thought process that you are going through now. I am scared to give up my relatively easy (although not fulfilling) job at a biotech where I make a decent salary to go back to school. But, when it comes down to it, I know that getting a pharmD is the right thing for me. You should also seriously consider doing a PhD if you're interested in doing research alone. I'm choosing pharmD because of the clinical aspect as well as the flexibility and patient interactions.

Good luck! BTW, I got accepted to UCSF for next fall, so we'd be classmates if you decide to attend :)

Thank you for the advice! I'm curious as to why you chose PharmD over PhD....do you want to return to work for the biotech company?

Skimmed the thread, so I apologise if this has already been suggested. OP, there is a fantastic thread on working in industry in the Pharmacy forum. If you haven't already read, it's worth your time.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Thank you - I took a look at it. Really interesting, the fellowships and all..it's an option. thanks.