adoption while in medical school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sthpawslugger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

While this isn't exactly an academic question/comment, I'm not sure where else here I could post this and receive quality feedback on the subject other than the Spouses and Partners forum(which seems a bit slow as of late).

Has anyone ever adopted while in medical school? Or, were you not given consideration for adoption due to low/ no income? Were there any other unique barriers to overcome as a medical student(me) and spouse(wife, in this case) to adopting a child that is different than having your own? We are very non-traditional by age and thus having our own is possibly becoming less of an option...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all,

While this isn't exactly an academic question/comment, I'm not sure where else here I could post this and receive quality feedback on the subject other than the Spouses and Partners forum(which seems a bit slow as of late).

Has anyone ever adopted while in medical school? Or, were you not given consideration for adoption due to low/ no income? Were there any other unique barriers to overcome as a medical student(me) and spouse(wife, in this case) to adopting a child that is different than having your own? We are very non-traditional by age and thus our own is possibly becoming less of an option...
As a dad, I don’t advise trying to adopt during med school. There is just too much demand on your time

Reactions: 2 users
I'll agree with @sb247 but say that there's never really a "good" time to have or adopt a child. If you and your wife want your family to grow, you'll find a way to have it happen.

You aren't getting younger and you might have even less time in residency to take care of a child, as you'll be expected to be physically present somewhere. While in the first portion of med school, depending on if you have recorded and optional lectures, I'd wager that you would have the most free time for interviews, home inspections and evaluations, and lawyer meetings. You can always push adoption off and find excuses, but you will never get those potential lost years with your future children back.

Do what you need to do to pursue happiness.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Has anyone ever adopted while in medical school? Or, were you not given consideration for adoption due to low/ no income? Were there any other unique barriers to overcome as a medical student(me) and spouse(wife, in this case) to adopting a child that is different than having your own? We are very non-traditional by age and thus having our own is possibly becoming less of an option...
One of my students adopted a child during his clinical years...so it's doable.

As to whether adoption agencies might not like your being a med student, you'll just have to ask them.

My niece is adopted, so I commend for your altruism.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all,

Former Director or Admissions here. We had a married, older student, 20 year career military, then med school, adopt while in med school sometime around junior year. I remember his beautiful little boy attending match day at about 1 1/2 to 2 years old. Everyone loved him and supported the family in this big step. Everything is doable - maybe not easy - but doable. My daughter entered med school married with a one-year old and a five-year old. Both boys played sports and took Suzuki music lessons. Carve out the life you want to live. Good luck!

The parents in my class are some of the top scoring students. In talking with one of them about the challenges this presents, he said "it makes me prioritize my time better. I'm not able to waste any time or be inefficient like most of you do. I work really hard until 5 or 6 each day, and then go home and be dad."

Reactions: 1 user
Adopt me please.
The parents in my class are some of the top scoring students. In talking with one of them about the challenges this presents, he said "it makes me prioritize my time better. I'm not able to waste any time or be inefficient like most of you do. I work really hard until 5 or 6 each day, and then go home and be dad."
What a jerk