Advanced endoscopy fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dockms

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm an fmg currently completing my fellowship in gi at my hone country (Pakistan)...i have heard that one can get a position in advanced endoscopy fellowship even if one is an fmg as most of the people tend to start working on general gastroenterology after completing their fellowship... is that so? I mean does an fmg with a fellowship in gi from abroad (and of course having completed all the USMLE steps) have a good chance at getting an advanced endoscopy fellowship? Can someone give a detailed guideline on this please?

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of competitive US grads can't get an advanced spot. Im not even sure you qualify for the match, and even if you do, I would not at all say you have a "good chance."

The job market for advanced is also pretty abysmal as it has quickly become saturated.

• Certification of Completion of Residency
    • Prior to appointment in the advanced endoscopy fellowship, fellows should have completed a three-year ACGME-accredited gastroenterology fellowship
    • Fellows from non-ACGME-accredited programs must have completed at least three years of gastroenterology education prior to starting the fellowship

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to hijack the thread, but is advanced fellowship worth it these days if you plan to practice in a metropolitan area? Just fresh into fellowship (so no idea if will plan to pursue) but keep hearing mixed things. A common theme seems to be "metro areas are saturated, but if willing to go to the boondocks or have a connection in an area you want to be it's worth it".

Anyone have thoughts on the reality of job prospects after doing the extra year ?

Not to hijack the thread, but is advanced fellowship worth it these days if you plan to practice in a metropolitan area? Just fresh into fellowship (so no idea if will plan to pursue) but keep hearing mixed things. A common theme seems to be "metro areas are saturated, but if willing to go to the boondocks or have a connection in an area you want to be it's worth it".

Anyone have thoughts on the reality of job prospects after doing the extra year ?

Academic jobs in desirable areas are near nonexistent. Community jobs in desirable locations are mostly saturated and will likely go to connections/never be advertised. Overall job market is very tough.

That said, every day I get emailed by recruiters looking for EUS/ERCP in generic communites "close to urban centers" with good pay. My friends from "top programs" who did fourth years however have not had an easy time of the process.

Remember that a fourth year was not a thing until relatively recently, so there are tons of people out in the community doing ERCP that never did a fourth year. The skills they dont have are EUS, and sometimes ESD/POEM although again not often done in community practice.

Reactions: 1 user