advanced programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pej933

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a 4th year med student currently applying to anesthesiology, if I interview at a program that only offers advanced track, meaning the program begins as CA-1, I'm basically applying for the 2007-2008 year, correct?

I got a little confused about this because someone said that when I apply to an advanced prgoram, I'm applying as a graduate who has already completed my internship year. I have obviously not even started my internship anywhere.

Please clarify this.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

pej933 said:
As a 4th year med student currently applying to anesthesiology, if I interview at a program that only offers advanced track, meaning the program begins as CA-1, I'm basically applying for the 2007-2008 year, correct?

I got a little confused about this because someone said that when I apply to an advanced prgoram, I'm applying as a graduate who has already completed my internship year. I have obviously not even started my internship anywhere.

Please clarify this.
thanks

No it just means that you need to also apply for an interim internship year(IM, Transitional, or Gen Surg). Advanced tract programs start in your CA1 year(july 2007 for this match cycle) but you are responsible with regards to also matching in your intern year(July 2006).

Categorical anesthesiology programs are 4 year programs with an included transitional internship. Many programs have both advanced and categorical tracts.

THANKS,
that's what I thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious about how this works, too. Do most people apply for the combined categorical positions, or is it better for some reason to get a separate transitional or internal medicine internship first and then go to an advanced residency position elsewhere? It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to have the categorical position and not have to apply and match separately for residency and internship, but maybe I'm missing something here.

QofQuimica said:
I am curious about how this works, too. Do most people apply for the combined categorical positions, or is it better for some reason to get a separate transitional or internal medicine internship first and then go to an advanced residency position elsewhere? It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to have the categorical position and not have to apply and match separately for residency and internship, but maybe I'm missing something here.

I can answer some questions but my situation was a little different when I matched. I went outside of the "ERAS match" so taking a advanced CA1 position for 2006 was all I was interested in. For any specific help with ERAS you will need other input.

Programs that have both positions available may have to share available transitional spots with other programs within the same univ. So they may not be able to offer these spots to everyone they accept. Say if a Med cntr is accredited for 8 anesthesiology spots but only 14 transitional spots and these need to be divided up amongst anesthesiology, derm, optho, rad ETC...you can see how there would not be enough to go around.

Therefore they accept people into an advanced tract that starts as a ca1 but you must also match into an interim internship to be completed elsewhere.

This also allows anesthesiology programs to look at non-traditional applicants with greater ease. Ie..Someone who completed either internship in another field or finished a previous residency.

QofQuimica said:

many of the top programs only offer advanced positions, which forces applicants to find their own pgy-1 position.

QofQuimica said:

Usually best to apply to both. Not every program offers a categorical, and those that do may have a limited number of categorical positions. For example may take 4 residents a year but only offer 2 categorical positions so the other 2 residents wound need to find their own prelim year. I agree it is easier to have the categorical position (only move once, cut down on interview expenses), but not everyone offers one, and you probably want to cover your butt by also applying to prelim years. I have heard a rumor that Anesthesiology may be changing to where every program will offer categorical positions, which will make things a lot easier.

KetamineDrip said:
Usually best to apply to both. Not every program offers a categorical, and those that do may have a limited number of categorical positions. For example may take 4 residents a year but only offer 2 categorical positions so the other 2 residents wound need to find their own prelim year. I agree it is easier to have the categorical position (only move once, cut down on interview expenses), but not everyone offers one, and you probably want to cover your butt by also applying to prelim years. I have heard a rumor that Anesthesiology may be changing to where every program will offer categorical positions, which will make things a lot easier.
i can say this from the interviews i've gotten so far..

most ppl that had both adv and categorical are now changing to just Categorical. infact a lot of the places were just like, "yes ERAS does show up with a advanced slots for us, but in reality we're going to be categorical this year"

So if you were to apply for a CA-1 position during your internship year do you need to designate that you want to start CA-1 this year?