Advanced standing DMD + Postbac Premed Programs for 6yrs OMS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your citizenship status is more important than having a bachelor's degree. Roughly speaking, non-citizen = non-acceptance

I asked several program directors regarding 6 year programs for Advanced standing graduates. First You must be US citizen or PR . whether you will get accepted with only 2 year advanced standing ( no first 2 year DS and US Undergraduate degree) or not Depends on the program you are applying to. Most of them require Full US BA/ BS and Full DDS. However, some programs will take advanced standing graduates if they are competitive and strong applicant. 6 year programs that have no problem according to PD respones are UIC , Cornell , LLU , UCLA and one of Texas program ( houston program i guess) and other programs that i don't remember right now. Some PD explained AS applicants are at disadvantage but they are still eligible to apply. At some Omfs programs , omfs department has upper hand in selecting applicants with little medical school restrictions. But that is not the case for for oms program affiliated with prestigious med school like MGH . where applicant has to be accepted by both med school and oms program. That the case for 6 year program. However ,Most 4 year programs are ok with AS applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to get into decent 4 year oms. If you, however, want MD so bad , then either apply to 6 year programs that are ok with AS grads or just apply to Med school like regular applicant ( you stated that you have no problem in doing premed program ) then why not do 4 year instead 2 and save yourself the trouble of explaining your situation to Oms and med school adcoms. There are even some 3 year MD programs like one at NYU. GL

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your response.