Advanced standing for foreign grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guru

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I feel its necessary for us to open a new thread/forum for us to discuss every ideas and opinions with regards to admissions into advanced standing program into American universities.

Everyone (Dental foreign grads and other dental students ) are freely allowed to contibute.

I feel this kind of forum will go a long way to clarify every dental admission issues bothering our minds and also provide support for one another.

Thankx

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. We could discuss questions from NBDE-I and II, admission criteria, study guides and aids from TOEFL to any other requirements.

Rafael Costa Guerra, Foreign trained Dentist

hey I support it ,
even before, this issue cropped up and was supported by many international students but nothing could be done, like having a seperate forum for advanced standing students.
hope we all can bring about some change

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I think that is a great Idea too
I support it

-Sarita

Sometimes this year ,I was told that if you pass your part 2 boards, you'll be allowed to do a 2-year advanced standing program in NYU.
How far is this true? What is your view about this? Any current advanced standing student in NYU can also comment on this.

ya its a great idea,iwas looking for a forum of this sort.it would be helpfull to all foreign graduates like me,hope we could exchange our ideas

Yes i also agree with you all,
by discussing, NBDE would become easier to pass with good scores , because foreign dentist are little bit confused
how to start with preparation ?
and what to read and what to leave?

but who will start any issue for discussing first ?????????:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Well ... I think it's a good idea ...

I'm not a dentist yet, but I will be in a couple of years ... studying in Israel.

I have a question for discussion :

Can't I practice dentistry if I get my DMD not in the US ?

Do you really have to get american DMD/DDS degree or you can apply for GPR (or some other residency) of the degree you get in another country and practice dentistry following the completion of the residency ?

Thanks ! :)
Leon

Hello People,
Good to see this thread start again this time of the year.
I ve been wondering when this would start.
I finished my part 1&2, and given interviews in boston/tufts for their advstanding programs. I ve been accepted to the program at tufts for next years 2003 program,
I would really like to hear from people who might be going in for the program next year.
thanks
saravs
ps, hi merl. wondering how things are with u this time around? any admissions?

i am preparing for part 2 and waiting for interviews for adv. standing courses , any would like to share how did they prepare or wat is essential to look into , how much time to devote per day ..i graduated 4 yrs. back.. from school and now totally lost where to start..:confused:

Sounds like I am a little behind everybody else. I graduated from Rio de Janeiro University college of Dentistry in 1997 and I'm only taking part one this December. I work as a Forensic Scientist and ended up getting involved with different aspects other than Forensic Dentistry, leaving me "behind".

After passing part-I I'll be able to comtribute better here, but all I can do is study for now.;)

Rafael Guerra

Hi,
I was wondering ,how many schools are out there which accept International students with PartI only ...
and how r the MS programs offerred by NYU....

:confused:
just confused!

-Sarita

I think the following schools accept applicants with only part 1 scores,
Boston University, New York University, Univ of Pennsylvania,
Indiana University, Nova Scotia, maybe some in Calif. No idea what happens there though.
s

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks so much for the info Saravs.

Hi Saravs

I guess u never got my email. Pls could u give me some information about interview in Boston? I might be interviewing there soon.

Regards,

guru

Hi Group,

I'm preparing for NDB II and planning to take this december. Please pass me your tips and suggestions required for the preparation.
Its good to see lot of foreign grads comming together and sharing the information. I would love to be an active member of this group.

Cheers

Hi Guys..
I was wondering what is the average GPA for the foriegn students( from India) to get accepted...let me know if anybody has an clue.
Thank U

Happy studying for the big test in December!!!

Not sure where you emailed me anyways, I would be happy to tell you how my interview at BU went.
It starts around 8 am, when you are seated with the other interviewees. When I went there were around 8/10 people in the room. Normally they provide breakfast with something to drink.
After the intros are finished you are taken on a college tour, where songs in praise of the college are sung. The person showing you around will try to convince you of why their college is better than any in the world.
Anyways, after that, you are called for an interview along with lunch for the remaining guys. I think they usually have 2/3 people interviewing, and you will be interviewed by one person. I was interviewed by Nargess Ashrayeri, I m not sure if she s still around I was asked questions on what I have done so far, my hobbies, ambitions, how boston is etc. She also asked me whether I knew how to cut crowns.
After that during lunch you d get to meet one advanced standing student. and thats it I guess.
Just be cool and collected and not worry too much. Show your self as having wasted no time, or provide good solid reasons for wasting time if you have.
Best of luck,
s

I have a couple of questions for you, guys :

1) Do you have to take the NDB-I in the US or you can do it in your home country ?

2) Do you have to be a dentist to take the exam or being a dental student is good enough ?

3) Is Green Card a must to apply to advanced standing or all you need is a student visa ?

Thank you !
Leon

Leon,
I do not know the answers to your questions #1 & #3. Regarding question #2: it is my understanding that advanced standing programs for foreign trained dentists are only open to "graduates" of foreign dental schools. I also think I remember reading somewhere that some of the advanced standing programs also require that you have experience in practicing dentistry in your home country after graduating from the foreign dental school.

Another issue which ties into your question #3 and which may be of concern to some of the fine folks on this thread is the availability of financial aid for students in the advanced standing programs. I suspect that it depends on wheather you have a student visa or a green card.

Leon,

As far as I know amswers to u'r ??"s
1) One can give NBDE only in US
2) It would be best if u are foreign graduare than a student for admissions, but can appear for Part 1 if u are student( one of my college student gave part 1 in her 3rd Yr)
3)Gren card is not a must, though few schools prefer GC holder.

Hello Saravs

I presume you were taken in Tufts.....or were you taken in both Tufts and Boston? and you had to drop one.

What did you tell them you'd been doing all this time before applying for this program? After the whole show , would you you be told the final outcome on the same day?

guru

Thanks, guys ...

One more question : is there any statistics about acception and rejection ratio of the advanced standing programs ?

Originally posted by Rafael Costa Guerra
Sounds like I am a little behind everybody else. I graduated from Rio de Janeiro University college of Dentistry in 1997 and I'm only taking part one this December. I work as a Forensic Scientist and ended up getting involved with different aspects other than Forensic Dentistry, leaving me "behind".

After passing part-I I'll be able to comtribute better here, but all I can do is study for now.;)

Rafael Guerra
how did u get into .. well i m curious .. give me leads where a dentist can get into career other than just clinical.. i have a question is it worth doing 2/3 yrs of dds/dmd putting a loan of 120k on ur head?????????????

There are basically 4 ways to practice Dentistry:

Preventive- Well known in the U.S. as public health. You basicaly study population habits and develop ways to impact general oral health. That includes working for the government planning ratios of Fluoride into water, developing brushing techniques for kids, how to affect diet, etc...

Restorative- Well known in the U.S. as general practice. You basically do some preventive measures here and there, but you job is to restablish oral health. That means lots of $$, lots of pain in your buttocks, lots of pain in your back, but that's the "classic" dentist out there.

Scholastic- Teaching Dentistry is another way to stay away from the dental office. You can teach labs, lectures, develot research, etc...

Legal- Working as a Forensic Dentisty is working with law. Malpractice evaluations, bitemarks for court purposes, human identification, mass disasters, etc. It's very interesting but does not give you the lifestyle of an oral surgeon.

If you want to know more of any of these 4 fields, feel free to e-mail me. I'll be glad to help you.

Yours,

Rafael Guerra

Hi group

What's the deal with UPENN 's advanced standing interview and admissions for this year ? Any information about the interview would be appreciated. Has anyone interviewed there yet?

Hey people,
Sorry I was not able to reply to your queries Guru, I was having computer problems.
The first one, I am doing my Masters in Public Health. So thats what I told them I was doing all along. the important thing i think is to show them that you have not spent time idling, ifyou have, i think you have to think of a really good reason to have done that.
I was put on the waitling list for BU for 2002 program, bcos I applied on Dec 15th, 2001 for that. I think thats very late to apply.
I got accepted into Tufts for next years program.
UPenn interview, I have never been to it, I know of a friend who has. He was asked a few questions on theory, like how many species of bacteria are in the mouth etc. I do not know if that is the normal, but I think that its probably not.
Just relax and keep your answers to why you want to be a dentist, ur long term goals etc ready.
S

Isn't it kinda silly ?
"Why you want to be a dentist ?"
But you're already a dentist !!!
:eek:

hi all,
i am curious to know how u guys manage the tution fee ? is it easy to get student loans ? or do u have to be a green card holder ? what is the deal?
i gave my nbd 1 this july cleared it with a pretty decent score(92), but i have not yet applied any where .
probably i will apply after i have my part 2 score , is it o.k to do that?
iam also worried about fee...............................
can anyone throw some light on this ........please?
thanks
sushma.

Guru,
The interview in BU is pretty cool. Around 8-10 people are invited, and after the tour, you are called for the interview, while others are served lunch. I guess there are 3-4 people who interview, and normally u are asked general questions. I was asked if I knew to cut crowns.
Thats it I think, relax and take it easy.
s

Hi group,

SARAVS, I want to thank you for all your tips. I guess I am just a lil' bit tensed up for those interviews. Do you think they also check how confident you are on the interview?

COMPUDENTIST, I think your part 1 scores are cool for admission. As per loans, I believe you don't have no other choice than to sign up for the loan OR someone co-signs for you. I think Loma Linda might be your best bet because theirs is an 18 months program and cost about 70K. This is cheap compared to other schools.

Hi, Guru !

Does it matter from which dental school you graduate as long as you get the degree ? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by guru
Hi group

What's the deal with UPENN 's advanced standing interview and admissions for this year ? Any information about the interview would be appreciated. Has anyone interviewed there yet?

I had an interview for Upenn's PASS program a week back. The interview as such was a breeze. You are interviewed by three faculty members.

They have a very strange but definite policy regarding selection of their PASS class. It is definitely not the scores, not yor gpa or toefl scores. They look for people who they feel have the persona to be a part of upenn. The dean and faculty very well understand the positives and negatives associated with being a foreign trained dentist.

But, at the end of all, I'd have to say this, " I have my hands up, I haven't figured out what they want. But, I surely hope that come december, my name figures in the *accepted* list".

hi guru,
thanx for ur suggestion.
good luck for ur interviews.

Hello group

DR. HANNIBAL , Thanks for you response. Its so bad if after months of preparing for this tests and they don't even consider it. Well I guess we just keep our fingers crossed and also pray. Did you say the final list comes out in december?

C2H5OH ,I believe some dental schools has a better image in the dental community than others.I'm sure UPENN is one of them.

Originally posted by guru
Hello group

DR. HANNIBAL , Thanks for you response. Its so bad if after months of preparing for this tests and they don't even consider it. Well I guess we just keep our fingers crossed and also pray. Did you say the final list comes out in december?

C2H5OH ,I believe some dental schools has a better image in the dental community than others.I'm sure UPENN is one of them.

I dunno whether the final list would come out in december cuz' their application deadline is til' february. They do consider your scores but, I *guess* it isn't their first priority.

I'd like to know about the other advanced standing students and their interview experiences too. Please do keep the feedback on.

Is there any stats about the percentage of acception/rejection of foreign grads by US dental schools ?

Actually I think they do consider your scores. However, when my friend went to the interview, he said that virtually everybody who had applied got called for an interview. I guess it must be really frustrating to wait till Dec for the results. But, is it not true that most seats in most dental programs are filled in a first-come-first-serve basis??
When I was called for the Interview at UP I was tempted to go there, but I am glad I stuck to TUFTS. The best thing about them was that they start the earliest so they also interview fairly early and they tell you in 2 weeks!
Best of luck to you both though. By the way whats ur scores dr_hannibal and guru?
Regards,
Saravs

Originally posted by Leon
Is there any stats about the percentage of acception/rejection of foreign grads by US dental schools ?

I believe the figures are close to about 600 applications per dental school. Again, these are but approximate figures for admission into schools that have atleast about 15 seats to offer for foreign trained dental grads. I hope this helps.

So, the chances of getting admitted to a two year program would be close to 1 in 40 ( the figures are definetely better for students applying to programs where the number of seats are more)

hI SARAVS,

just wanted to know how soon did you get any response from tufts regarding interview. Have any idea about how many seats are still left.
I'm just anxious coz i din't get any response from them , it has been 3 weeks since i sent application.

Originally posted by dr_hannibal
I believe the figures are close to about 600 applications per dental school. Again, these are but approximate figures for admission into schools that have atleast about 15 seats to offer for foreign trained dental grads. I hope this helps.

So, the chances of getting admitted to a two year program would be close to 1 in 40 ( the figures are definetely better for students applying to programs where the number of seats are more)

So ... I guess one should be a very good and very lucky dentist to get in ... hmmmmmmmmmmm ...

Hai Friends,
It is a good idea to start a forum exclusively,Who is going to start?

Originally posted by Leon
So ... I guess one should be a very good and very lucky dentist to get in ... hmmmmmmmmmmm ...

There are a few dental schools that accept 30 or more advanced standing graduates too. The ratio would significantly reduce in that case. Your best bet would be to apply to the maximum number of colleges and hope for the best.

Hi Merl!
Glad to hear from you. I had applied to TUFTS on the 15th of July. After that I got the letter inviting me to the Interview on the 2nd of August. My Interview date was fixed on the 15th of August, and I was accepted on the last week of August.
My friend went to the interview 3 weeks ago. She has been put on the waiting list. There are only 14 seats each year at TUFTS, of which when I had gone, 7 were taken by waitlisted people from last year. So in all there were around 7-10 seats for 2003 program.
I am one, I know another person who is going so, that is 5 left.This is if all the waitlisted people are going to come to the 2003 class.
Also, BU has increased its seats to 75 I think. Thats what I heard and I m not sure if its accurate or not. So, if u have applied to BU u should be fine for next year.
s

HI SARVAS,

thanks for the info, I wanted to get in tufts..now i feel the chances are dim...still somehow hope to get it.One major advantage with tufts is it starts program soon and more over its one of the best.
Did you get my email?Congrats once again. how long is your Masters program? tell more about it

Merl

Its no big deal. I think the secret is to apply as soon as possible. I guess the dental schools are really scared of missing out on some students and loosing a lot of money in the process. So the earliest bird often wins the prize. For eg, Merl you might remember last year we were not able to make it to BU. But, I know of one guy who got in with 86, just bcos he applied early.
Since all you guys have submitted everything fairly soon,
you should be fine. Hannibal, and Merl what are u r scores ?
thanks,
s

Hi Everybody,
I'm an Argentinian Dentist, graduated 4 years ago. I've finally finsh taking the Dental Boards, but, after applying to 3 programs, I've realized (nobody told me this before), my scores sucked!
I've got an 81 in the Part I and the same in Part II.
I've already been rejected from Tufts University, and UPenn. So I don't understand why Upenn rejected me if somebody said the scores are not so importante.
I would really appreciate if you could tell me about your personal experiences...and what do you think I should do.
I don't know if I'll be able to take part I again this december, since I don't think I have enough time...What would you suggest me?
Do you consider my score veeeeeeeeeery low?
Thank you alla, and best of lucks to you all...
Paola:confused:

Hi paoimach,

upenn doesn't take scores as only factor in accepting that doesn't mean it (score)has no weightage. As far i know people below 85 are usually are not called for interveiw. And bw 85-95 above they select whom they feel would fit in their atmosphere .surprisingly many in 90's are not the one's who get in.
As far as your scores they are not bad, but the increasing No of applicants force Univ to go for the best scores. And this year many schools have increased the min score to 85 and above.

you could still try in NYU as your score in part2 isgood enough, apply fast hope this helps

Hi Merl,
Thank you soooooooooo much for answering me so fast!
I 've just finished filling my NYU application... And I'm about to ask for the score reports from the ADA and TOEFL.
I was wondering if you know something from Columbia University (I know is Ivy league...and that they have a great program...).. I've applied to Columbia, but still no answer.... They told me that the scores weren't that important, but as you said, they matter.....
Also I have an other question.... Do you have any idea of what I could do to "improve" my CV? Like research(and where)...or something that as a foreigner dentist I could do..?
Again, thank you sooooooooo much !!:)
Paola

Hello Paoimach

I feel you can try your luck with NYU with your scores and I also honestly wish you can re-take the part one again 'cos scores above 85 are more recognised nowadays.
But as per Columbia,you can get more information on their website.