Advanced standing for foreign grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank You Guru for your advice...
I'm so happy I finally found a place where I can have some REAL ADVICE about applying... I've been living in the US for a year and here in Florida it seems nobody knows "the reality about applying to dental school".
I was wondering what did you all do in the mean time while you were studying for the Boards not to have a blank on your CV?
Did you do research.... work in some project related to dentistry..... I don't know....
Cause right know it's been a year and a half since I worked on a patient and I'm concerned related to that..........
Do you know what opptions we have?
Where can I do some volunteer job...and if that helps???
Thank you alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!:)
Paola

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I pose the same question as paoimach, what else can we do as getting into school takes more than a year. Its been more than 2 yrs i did real dental work. And its nerveracking sitting without any work at home. I'm on H4 visa so can't do some odd jobs atleast

Guru did you give part2 ?
Lets all keep track of what schools we applied ,scores and where we get in? How about it? and our experiences at the interveiws.
I guess this would be very helpful for all.

Hi paoimach did you apply to nova in florida ?heard its good school with latest equipment and facilities

Hi Merl :) ,
In regards to applying to NOVA, which is en Fr. Lauderdale, 40 minitues form Miami, to be honest, I didn't apply since all what I've heard about it, is that it's all about money, and they don't really care about education. And I thought, if I'll be doing what I've already done at school, and I'm going to pay for it...I DEFINITELY WANT THE BEST (obviously, if I can get into a good program).
Nova is a pretty new dental school..it's I think less than 10 years old. And also, it has ONLY 5 places of which, most are taken by people who did a masters, of a specialization..so my chances were really low, and I wasn't that intrested.
About taking the exams...and the "gaps" in our CV...I was wondering if it would help to do something related to dentistry (as Dental Hygiene) ...work as a Dental Hygienist ...or if one shouldn't put that in your CV.... I'm about to take the Licensure examen to work as a dental Hygienist this december...so I hope at least I can do that....
Also...about Boards...and schools.... As I said before...I've applied to Upenn..and Tufts... Tufts got to me right away..... because of the low board scores...Upenn took longer..but they also rejected me.
Columbia hasn't send me anything yet.... I have a glimpse of hope may be... I could get an interview (I doubt it..but..).
Also, I wonder how many times did any of you took the Part I to get a 90?????
And, what is the average score for Part II? I got an 81...
Well...thank you all, and keep in touch...Paola

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

I too agree with Merl that we should all share in our experiences with passing the exams, applying to various school, and our interviews with them.

I think for us, who havent got into school yet can apply for some voluntary work in the meantime at some clinics if they are willing to take us.

Any information about University of Florida 2 year certificate program?

Since my goal is to practice in FL, seems that Nova Sucks for Foreign trained dentists, so I need to hear something about UF.

Rafael Guerra

Hello all!
I agree that we should talk about our experiences and stuff.
I would like to hear more from you on ur scores, how u thought ur preperation was, how u thought u did on the exams and how u felt your scores were.
Rafael, why do u say that Nova sucks??
Thanks
s

Hi all,

i'll start with my side of story, came to US in april2001, took part 1 in dec( now I regret of not taking in JUly itself) by oct came to know chances of getting to school next Yr are very dim. Anyway after the scores I had some hope (din't score great though)89%
:(
applied to Upenn, stonybrook, connecticut, boston, univ of chicago Nyu.
got interveiw from Upenn ===rejected.
boston& nyu asked to reactivate for next yr ie 2003. Idid haven't heard anything from them

Gave my part2 with the guidance of saravs& few others , , but just 15 days before the exam coz of unavoidable circumstances couldn't revise.* i guess the last days of any prep are imp, confidencewise...memory etc.
With my part2 experience i would advise that don't get sidetracked. Got 86%,aimedfor 90 that would have enhanced tufts acceptance.
Thats it ,'r turn guys& gals
:)

Hi all!
So... it seems all of us are in the same track... :( Trying to get into Dental school, but none of us yet in....
I said Nova Sucks becuase asi I told you on the last message..NOVA is a pretty new University, with very few spots (5 this year I think) and a lot of people intrested in getting there... and, a lot of dentists doing post graduate education who are almost garanteed a spot. So, I wouldn't count on NOVA.
Regarding UF I can tell you that is also a very competitive program. Only for US RESIDENTS (which I'm not). And, if you want to stay for sure in Florida, you have to do only two years...if not... it's the 4 years agian...so doesn't sound intresting for me.
I'm pretty discouraged about board scores...I wonder HOW MANT TIMES DID YOU TAKE PART I TO GET A 90???????? I took it once..and was working while studying, and I was pretty happy with my 81. Most of the people I know took it more than once to pass it..... and they got less than 80...so, I don't know...obviously I was wrong ...
Any way..keep in touch....
Paola

Merl,
86% in part 2 is very very good. Do not despair and something good will come up. Ur scores are very competitive, and 89 in part 1 is good too. I got in Tufts with 88 in part 1.
Chill out and enjoy the waiting period if you can!
I did not know that StonyBrook and Univ of Chicago had programs. I was a little wary of applying to programs that had a bench test or dexterity tests cos its been a while since I ve practiced. Anyways, I think your chances are very bright for BU.
s

well don't worry apply to NYU , they have yrs . program .. its a nice city , i think all the schools are same as long as u get ur degree cos we are dentists already its just our degree is not recognised here and all of them are for money..so just take it wher ever u do get it and finsh soonest possible..well thats my thinking wat do u guys think i am gonaa take part 2 soon .. anyone can throw light..
;)

Does anyone have any news regarding loma linda? have they started sending out their interview letters?

As for my profile, here goes- I came to the US last year in the third week of november and gave my exams in december. I didn't have any idea about the dental board exam til' i came here. I did reasonably well for that kind of a preparation time. I got a score of 85 in my part-1.
I am planning to take one or two subjects again. I would appreciate if anybody could guide me regarding this, i.e, is it worth it?

i am not evevn aware if u can do that.. can u gve one or two exams just to improve ur scores...

Originally posted by anu
i am not evevn aware if u can do that.. can u gve one or two exams just to improve ur scores...

Geee................ my bad. I browsed thro the ada website jus now. I'll have to take the whole exam again. I guess, i could risk that too.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK.. BETTER WASTE NO TIME AND START APPLYING .. TRY TO TAKE PART 2.. BETER SCORE ..SO THAT U CAN IMPOROVE UR CHANCES...BUT ITS UR TIME N CHOICE!!!

I would also like to know more about the so called IDP program in chicago, IL .... does the person get a DDS degree or just permission to practice in Illinois after the program gets over?

UNIV OF CHICAGO degree is valid only in that state, last year after applying came to know this.

hi all,
this forum is becomming more informative and interesting, good for all of us .
well i finished my part 1 , planning to take part 2 , any tips for preparation would be greatly appreciated .

iam on a h4 visa , i live in NY city .
hey , paoimach can u tell me more bout dental hygeinist liscensing exam?
thanx in advance .
sushma.

Hi everybody!
As somebody said, the site is getting more and more informative every minute..Thanks to all for sharing your own experience.
To compudentist, about the Dental Hygiene thing...here in Florida you have to take either the Dental Hygienist Board exam...which is also given by the ADA..or if you took both NDBS you can use that to.... and then, you have to take a practice exam with patients. If you pass that, you would have the licensure, and you can work in Florida. I don't know how it is in NY.
I would recommend you to search in the web about the Dental Hygienist board. Wish you luck with that.:)
Also.... is anybody doing some research...or does anybody have any idea of what volunteer work can we do...?
And about how to prepare to Part II., I would recommend you to use the Dental Decks Part II..and some released exams to see how they are...and the pictures and RX of the patient cases...
Well people...keep in touch...best of lucks....
Paola :cool: :rolleyes:

Hi group

I have an interview date at UPENN on the 16th Oct and on the next day (17th) I have an interview date at Boston . This had created a lot of anxiety in me since these interviews are back to back.

Merl, I inderstand you interviewed at UPENN some time ago, how was it? Kindly pass any tips.

To Paoimach , I had worked in the past as assistants to several dentists . These has given me continous state-of the- art dental exposure. I also have this as part of my CV.

Dr Hannibal , pls I will advice you not to apply to Univ of Chicago 'cos you are kinda limited to practising in Chicago and if I am right I think you don't come out with a DDS ,you are given a certificate instead. As per Loma Linda , I do not think they've started giving out interview dates yet.

Originally posted by guru
Hi group

I have an interview date at UPENN on the 16th Oct and on the next day (17th) I have an interview date at Boston . This had created a lot of anxiety in me since these interviews are back to back.

Merl, I inderstand you interviewed at UPENN some time ago, how was it? Kindly pass any tips.

To Paoimach , I had worked in the past as assistants to several dentists . These has given me continous state-of the- art dental exposure. I also have this as part of my CV.

Dr Hannibal , pls I will advice you not to apply to Univ of Chicago 'cos you are kinda limited to practising in Chicago and if I am right I think you don't come out with a DDS ,you are given a certificate instead. As per Loma Linda , I do not think they've started giving out interview dates yet.

thanx a lot for that. your upenn interview is gonna stretch upto 4 PM. You'd be better off takin a flight from philadelphia to boston if there is any.

Hi everybody :) ,
This forum has become kind of an "addiction"...since I've learned more here about everything related to the Advanced Standing Programs than any other place..I thank you all for that..and for sharing everything you've done.
Also, thanks to Guru for the tips...AND BEST OF LUCKS IN YOUR INTERVIEWS!!! :clap:
Yesturday I was wondering about dental assisting.... I'm really interested in going to NY...since here in Florida that field is saturated from dentists from all over latinamerica as me....
I was looking on the internet..and the average salary is betueen 13-15 dollars.... Can u live of that???????? Also, I thought that could help...being in NY and trying to do some volunteer research at some university... I don't know.....
Any way...Thank you all...and enjoy your weekend.
Paola

Do you guys in NY want a meeting?

Hi all,

Guru- i had been to upenn interveiw this jan, we were last batch to be interveiwed for this yr class. we have personal interveiws with 3 people ,general questions of what you did after graduation, how different is it from home country here(if u say had some exposure here)what would you do after school here.
hobbies. etc
unlike previous batches who had sold 25-30 min with interveiwer ours was very less. somehow felt thatthey already selected & it was for name sake.

Hi group

Thankx to everyone that contributed in giving me tips on UPENN interview. I really appreciate that.

Dr Hannibal, I actually tried to book a flight from Philly to Boston , but I am yet to find ......( or should I say that the ones I saw were quite high for me i.e $300 and above). I think I'll just go on Amtrak or greyhound.

Paoimach , I still think earning $15 an hour is still better than staying home and watching talk shows on T.V

Goodluck to everyone !!!!!!

Hi all!
People going to Boston for interview try to stay some place with ur friends/family etc.....unless ur loaded ofcourse.
When I went to Boston, I had to shell out 120 bucks for this dingy little room!
and ofcourse, DO NOT DRIVE IN BOSTON!!! The traffic is crazy.
Go early for the interview, better check the route to the interveiw spot before the actual interview so there are no nasty suprises.
Good luck
saravs

Is there a possibility that we could start our own forum, instead of a single thread ?

I think that foreign grads have a vast variety of topics for discussion ... so they deserve a forum of their own ...

I have a stupid question for all of you, guys ...

Why you decided to live in USA, and not some other english speaking country, e.g. UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. ?

And another stupid question : why don't you take the California's boards and get a license to practice dentistry in this state ?

I need the dental decks and Kalphan review for part 2.

Lina,
I've got the Dental Decks Part II as good as new (they are the new ones.... 2001)... I'm asking 185 plus S&h...(negotiable).
Let me know if you are still interested.
Paola

hi all,
hey paoimac , iam sorry for the delay , well thanx for the info.
do u really get 15$ /hr..........?
coz some of my freinds here in NY and NJ are working as assistants and they r just getting 10 -12 bucks/hr.
15/hr is too good .
GURU, all the best for ur interviews, by the way what r ur scores ?
dr_hannibal , i also feel that graduating fom chicago univ is of not much use, the programme is called as IDP ( INTERNATIONAL DENTISTS PROGRAMME) and not DDS , but it allows u to practice in some states apart from chicago , but iam not sure .

cheers
sushma.

wat do u guys say doing PG , DOES IT MAKE SENSE, I HEARD SOME STATES ALLOW U TO GIVE SOME EXAMS AND U CAN PRACTICE..

hi all,
Leon- I'll try my best to answer your questions. There are many foreign graduates trying to pursue dentistry in the countries you have stated , more over the natives themselves opt to come here, may be coz of quality of education offered and the end gains being welcoming too . There are many subtle reasons for a foreigner in choosing Usa which are different form person to person.
As for california bench tests 70% of the applicants try that option its not that easy to got through,at times need to take 2 or more attempts .Instead of counting on which has less margin of being successful it would be better to go to school also give us better veiw of dentistry practised here and necessasary skills.

Hi, merl ... thanks for the reply !

How many years of trying is the average for getting accepted to Advanced standing program ?

I was wondering which program all of you were applying to,is it an advance graduate program or a 2yr program for foreign dentists to get a DDS degree.IS PART 2 required to get into a dental school to get a DDS degree?can someone clear me?

Hai,
We are all applying for advanced standing program for foreign graduates which gives us DDSdegree.part1 is mandatory .It depends on the school which you are applying weather we need to write part2 or not.Because of increasing competition,all are taking part2 now before applying to make their application stronger.It all depends.Hope I cleared your doubt.
Bye,
Aparna

Merl,
How did your interview at UPENN go?
s

Hi saravs,
I din't apply to u penn this yr still think'n about it. LAst yr when we asked if we could reapply again they said very rare chances of acceptance unless part 1score is improved or added some more credentials. since they don't need part2 I have nothing new to add.
Tufts boston Univ , Nyu no news from them.

hi leon average would be 1-2 yrs. if we take part1 in july chances are more with good score.usually by the time dec batch applies most of the schools are filled

Hi, I am a new user here, I am not sure whether I use it right. I got an interview from UPenn for next week, is it too late? What will be the chance of getting into the program, any suggestions about it? thanks!

Hi, Merl !

Can you take the part one while still being a student, or you have to be a dentist to do that ?

Leon,

If you request the booklet about the National Board Dental Examination, most of the questions you are asking will be answer on the first 2 pages. I strongly suggest you to get the brochure.

http://www.ada.org/prof/prac/licensure/ce1.pdf

To asnwer your question, part I can be taken by: US Dental Students after completion of the first 1/2 of the Dental program OR Foreign trained dentists that can prove (by ECE oficial Transcripts) they are Dentists somewhere else.

http://www.ece.org/

Good luck to you.

Rafael Guerra

Merl,
I think you should not think of TUFTS. I had a friend who was called for an interview and is being waitlisted. So..... BU looks like your best shot and I think its going to be it!
I am sure you will make it there.
Healthfully,
S

HI SARAVS,
Thankyou for the info, Ialmost counted tufts out, I was positive of boston till yesterday when i found out that should reapply online.A month before they said a letter saying reactivation would be fine ,after receiving that said I would be getting interveiw call soon.
I'm already late for this yr, I'm so furious about it.

Hi all,

does anyone have info regarding Univ of pittsburgh. how many are taken every year ..how is the bench test etc Any info regarding this is appreciated.
Thankyou

Hi everyone,
I've been absent for almost a week... I've been trying to figure out what to do with my life..since idealistic as I am..I thought next year I would get into dental school.... but anyway...
Just wanted to share with you that yesturday I recieved my rejection letter from Columbia....:( .. That was my last shot... Any way... it was the only university who sended me a letter saying that they were really sorry that they didn't have a spot for me.... that they were impressed by my education..bla bla.... The thing is that eventough I was rejected I appreciated that at least one univ. took a look to my stuff ...
Concerning Univ. of Pittsburgh..what I can tell you Merl is that I called them to find out more about the program...and what te secretary told me was that they have very few spots...that the program is very competitive... that applicantes usually apply with high eighties and ninties.... and that's it.........
And everybody..that's it for today.....
Have a nice weekend all....
Paola

did u apply to nyu , i heard they take students easier than other universities.
Originally posted by paoimach [/i]
Hi everyone,
I've been absent for almost a week... I've been trying to figure out what to do with my life..since idealistic as I am..I thought next year I would get into dental school.... but anyway...
Just wanted to share with you that yesturday I recieved my rejection letter from Columbia....:( .. That was my last shot... Any way... it was the only university who sended me a letter saying that they were really sorry that they didn't have a spot for me.... that they were impressed by my education..bla bla.... The thing is that eventough I was rejected I appreciated that at least one univ. took a look to my stuff ...
Concerning Univ. of Pittsburgh..what I can tell you Merl is that I called them to find out more about the program...and what te secretary told me was that they have very few spots...that the program is very competitive... that applicantes usually apply with high eighties and ninties.... and that's it.........
And everybody..that's it for today.....
Have a nice weekend all....
Paola
[/QUOTE]

Hello group

Merl, as per Pittsburg, I also applied there . The little I know is that they are probably taking less than 10 this year. I submitted my apllication mid sept, but still yet to get an interview date with them. I know someone that was told to prepare a class two amalgam in some previous year's interview.

Anu , it is true that NYU takes the highest number of adv standing applicant but I do not believe its as easy as people think.

Paoimach, pls do not get discouraged by the Columbia letter. Let this inspire you to higher level and to a better performance.

Angelalee, for UPENN interview you just need to be your normal self. 'Cos all they wanna see is your personalty.

Merl,
Nothing would ever surprise me about BU. I think its one big sham there. Anyways, when I went for the Interview there, the person interviewing me had no interest at all in what I was telling her. All that she did was stare at my Face!
Anyhow its our need so, I dont think we can afford to be too furious and vengeful. I still think you have loads of time to apply to BU and get in for next year. So chill out and re apply its only another 100 bucks.
UPITT is another strange school. I had applied in July. And they cashed in the check I had sent with the application last week!
So I think they take it real slow.
I heard that they increased the number of seats in BU to 75. Is that true???
One good thing about BU is that they take care of your patient requirements. So if you do get in thats one less worry.
Good luck
s

Hai guru,
Please tell me some thing more about UPEN interview.What questions they asked you?I am having interview this week and this is my first interview.
Thanks in advance

Hi everybody :)
I appreciate so much all the encouregement of Guru... To be honest..I knew when coming it was not going to be easy...but then...I never imagine it will be so difficult....they make it almost impossible to get there...to the DDS..
Right now, since I made my mind that I won't take Part I again this December cause I can't study all that material in a month and a half.. so I've decided I'll take it in July...and in the mean time...I'm volunteering as a dental assistant to stay in touch with the dental field.. It's kind of frustrating not to be able to treat patients...and just assist in a dental office but it's better than nothing...
Unfortunately..since I'm with a student visa, I'm not allowed to work:( ...
But anyway...
Send you all the best of lucks...and keep in touch...
Paola

Hi group

Aparna, all I have to say about the interview is to be yourself. At this stage all they want to see is your personalty. They already have your scores and grades. You'll be asked questions about your past and also your future goals and aspirations. I wish you luck.