Advanced vs categorical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serenity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interviewing at few places that have more advanced spots than categorical.
Now I am definitely interested in categorical as I dont wish to move from one place to another.
On the other hand don't want to risk not matching by foregoing the advanced track.
How do you reply if they ask you which track you are interested in?
Need input guys

Members don't see this ad.

serenity said:
I am interviewing at few places that have more advanced spots than categorical.
Now I am definitely interested in categorical as I dont wish to move from one place to another.
On the other hand don't want to risk not matching by foregoing the advanced track.
How do you reply if they ask you which track you are interested in?
Need input guys

The strategy I am taking is to tell them openly which track I prefer and why, but also to emphasize that I plan to rank both tracks. If you're really interested in a program, you should rank both tracks, and tell them that you are doing that and in which order.

Also,

One important thing to realize if you haven't already is this:

If a program offers both categorical and advanced, be sure to ask them this question point blank:

If I match in your advanced position, will you provide me an intern year locally or will I have to find one on my own?

Two places that this happened for me was Univ of Chicago and UT Southwestern in Dallas. Both came back and said "Oh yes, if you match in our advanced position, we provide you with an intern year." So I would have been able to move locally and slide right into the gas program.

Net result: You get to rank a place TWICE and thus increasing your odds of becoming an anesthesiologist. Not to mention, the competition is less for these, and you get your gas residency.

Yes, some will tell you, no if you match advanced, we don't provide an intern year, which wasn't even said to me ever. Either way, some students see as an opportunity to stay local one more year and get some things taken care of. Others are just happy that they will become an anesthesiologist. Go figure!
Hope this helps!
Tim

Members don't see this ad :)
timtye78 said:
Also,

Yes, some will tell you, no if you match advanced, we don't provide an intern year, which wasn't even said to me ever. Either way, some students see as an opportunity to stay local one more year and get some things taken care of. Others are just happy that they will become an anesthesiologist. Go figure!
Hope this helps!
Tim

It's very encouraging, Tim, but, the only thing is, the programs may be that eager toward AMGs, but much more reluctant to provide an intern year, if you are an IMG( even if you are a citizen of this country). It may be in the rules, but I haven't actually heard from anyone I know( IMGs) who matched to the programs even 4-5 years ago, when gas was much less competitive, especially for IMGs, that any program provided an intern year for IMG.

This discussion is getting interesting :p
Can anyone else shed light on this?
FMG/IMGs matched into anesthesiology, please comment!!!

When talking to the Program Director in all my interviews, I asked them about how they decide to rank advanced vs. categorical positions. #1- they take into consideration what your preference is 3 or 4 yr. Be sure and ask if there is 1 rank list, or a separate categorical and advanced list. At cleveland clinic (for example) there are 2 separate lists and you could be # 5 on one and #20 on the other (don't understand why that is, but from word of mouth from lady in charge of rank lists). On the other hand, my interview at U. Chicago said there is one rank list everyone is on, and you match 3 vs. 4 yr. based on your preference and what is avaliable by order you are on their list. I think the best approach is telling them that you will take either spot if you want to DEFINITELY match at that program. Hope this helps!