MD & DO Advantages of Post-Bacc??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AWolfman

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need help deciding if taking a post-bacc program will help my application. I am planning on taking the MCAT for the first time solely to gain admission into a post-bacc program, but do not feel confident to score as high as possible ATM. (TPR practice scores around 500)
Below are my statistics:
-3.6 GPA Chemistry Major, 3.8 in the final 2 years
-Gap year claiming residency in Texas
-Medical Scribe 500+ hours (will triple by application deadline)
-Chemistry tutor 1 year
-Laboratory experience 2 years
-President of my fraternity, planned Relay for life, other leadership positions, etc.

Do you think a post-bacc program will benefit my application if I score low on my MCAT the first time to gain entrance, and then retake at a later date to improve my score?

Would it be better to study and get a high score on my first attempt and forego the post-bacc?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
 
Do you think a post-bacc program will benefit my application if I score low on my MCAT the first time to gain entrance, and then retake at a later date to improve my score?

Would it be better to study and get a high score on my first attempt and forego the post-bacc?

The latter/bolded is by far the better option.
 
You have 0 need for a post bac. Do the second option in your post and study a solid 4-6 months for the MCAT and just kill it the first time. Post baccs are for students with low GPAs (like 3.1/3.0 low, not "3.6 low") and this is not a problem of yours, your GPAs are fine
 
I smell troll.


On what planet would you need to do a post-bac for???


I need help deciding if taking a post-bacc program will help my application. I am planning on taking the MCAT for the first time solely to gain admission into a post-bacc program, but do not feel confident to score as high as possible ATM. (TPR practice scores around 500)
Below are my statistics:
-3.6 GPA Chemistry Major, 3.8 in the final 2 years
-Gap year claiming residency in Texas
-Medical Scribe 500+ hours (will triple by application deadline)
-Chemistry tutor 1 year
-Laboratory experience 2 years
-President of my fraternity, planned Relay for life, other leadership positions, etc.

Do you think a post-bacc program will benefit my application if I score low on my MCAT the first time to gain entrance, and then retake at a later date to improve my score?

Would it be better to study and get a high score on my first attempt and forego the post-bacc?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!