Adversity Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NorthOfBroad

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been thinking of an adversity essay topic to write but like many other applicants I have never really had that much adversity in my life, or none that I really would feel comfortable talking about. While it sounds trivial on my end, can I talk about helping my roommate find help when he was depressed/had suicidal tendencies? We had to fight to get help for him from an overburdened county mental healthy agency and supporting him (i.e. cleaning up after him and such) while we waited until we could get an appointment with a social worker. I know this isn't really adversity on my end, especially compared to the living hell he was going through. Is this an adversity essay or just another problem I overcame?
 
That sounds like adversity to me. You put a plan in action. And you talk about what you took away from it. I don't feel it has to your personal adversity, but it is definitely something that affected you. I think this is a great experience to talk about....a lot better than most can bring to the table. I'm sorry you had to go through it though, and I hope your friend is okay.
 
Sounds good to me!!!


I've been thinking of an adversity essay topic to write but like many other applicants I have never really had that much adversity in my life, or none that I really would feel comfortable talking about. While it sounds trivial on my end, can I talk about helping my roommate find help when he was depressed/had suicidal tendencies? We had to fight to get help for him from an overburdened county mental healthy agency and supporting him (i.e. cleaning up after him and such) while we waited until we could get an appointment with a social worker. I know this isn't really adversity on my end, especially compared to the living hell he was going through. Is this an adversity essay or just another problem I overcame?