Advertising for medical company

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burnted_out

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
i am ready to launch a medical company that I worked on during the last stages of residency. Is it illegal for me to advertise the services through my hospital or at other hospitals since I am a practicing physician? We are advertising through the typical means of course but I feel that advertising directly to the hospital system I will be at given that it’s massive and other hospitals might be beneficial.
Is this legal to do? It’s my understanding that physicians are not allowed to divert patients to any company that they have a business interest in that’s why I ask.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to 1) check your contract regarding outside business adventures and 2) check with HR regarding rules for advertising (there is a conflict of interest you will have to declare) and rules regarding patient/colleague recruitment.

and you cant just email your in hospital network colleagues - you have to go through the proper channels else risk legal backlash.

If you would be in direct competition with someone already contracted with the hospital (and nearly everything right down to the sodas are contracted), then you’d probably get a not-so-nice cease and desist letter.

Check with hospital admin first, but the short answer is “probably not”

Reactions: 1 users
If you would be in direct competition with someone already contracted with the hospital (and nearly everything right down to the sodas are contracted), then you’d probably get a not-so-nice cease and desist letter.

Check with hospital admin first, but the short answer is “probably not”

Thanks for your response. It’s actually not an MD service, as in, no clinical treatment whatsoever, so there are no other physicians, or physician/healthcare professional recruiting of any kind, and it’s an online service online. We are also a private group, but I agree I think you are right - I looked at the contract at length before and there are no clauses in terms of not owning something medically related. It also is not in direct competition or actually have anything to do with our practice/field and there is no similar service in the entire state from what I am aware. But again you are right, I will talk to the group and legal and HR to make sure I am not stepping on anyone’s toes. Thanks man!

Last edited: