advice about caribbean schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bocajuniors

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have applied to auc and am in the process of applying to ross university. i have applied to a couple of podiatry schools. i know its an old and i'll go ahead and beat the dead horse, but what are my chances of residency in the usa if i graduate from one of the caribbean schools? i'm interested in emergency medicine. i also understand that i spend roughly two years in the caribbean and two in the usa. do i get to choose where i go? or is it specific? any answers would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are slimmer, but then you already knew that. How much slimmer will be up to your individual performance. The Caribbean forum has a wealth of good info I'm sure.

I'm not speaking from experience but from my own research into this subject. As for residency, it will be more difficult, but a good USMLE Step I score will open up doors. As for choosing where you do your rotations, I think it's partly up to you and partly up to chance. I almost went to SGU and understood that you do not simply pick where you do your rotations, though you do have input. As for things being harder, it will be a bit more difficult. Don't, however, listen to all the naysayers. I'm going to a US MD school, but I would certainly consider AUC, Ross, or SGU if necessary. The person that interviewed me for SGU also told me to try and keep track of attrition at other US schools. Transfer spots are available but only when someone drops out. She said that many people from SGU transferred to Miami, and that the dean had close ties with that school. There's a good chance that each non-US school has slightly different transfer opportunities. Whatever happens, just work hard, don't get discouraged, and you'll land a spot in emergency medicine, even if it doesn't happen overnight.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are my chances of residency in the usa if i graduate from one of the caribbean schools? i'm interested in emergency medicine.

My understanding from reading the International Medicine>Caribbean forum, is that there is a 50% chance that you will successfully match into a US residency. Your chance of matching into an extremely competitive residency like EM is very, very low.

Yes, harder, but not impossible. It's silly to dismiss it as such. OP, don't take this last post to heart because you can always be the exception.

i have applied to auc and am in the process of applying to ross university. i have applied to a couple of podiatry schools. i know its an old and i'll go ahead and beat the dead horse, but what are my chances of residency in the usa if i graduate from one of the caribbean schools? i'm interested in emergency medicine. i also understand that i spend roughly two years in the caribbean and two in the usa. do i get to choose where i go? or is it specific? any answers would be appreciated

You can do it if you work hard. Kick A@# on the Steps and you'll match somewhere. If not there's always the scramble, but for now I'd just worry about getting into a school and studying for classes. Worry about matching when you're pushing MS3/MS4. You'll be fine.

My understanding from reading the International Medicine>Caribbean forum, is that there is a 50% chance that you will successfully match into a US residency.

You have to also factor in the attrition rate because a significant percentage of every freshman class isn't still around in 4th year to have that 50% (or whatever it really is) chance of matching.

It's a harder road, but it's a second chance. If you do really well, you give yourself a shot. Not an equal shot, but a shot.