Advice about January 29th MCAT! Please read!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mathy88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to get some advice from all of you. I took my MCAT last year and did very, very poorly (23). I was unprepared, took it about a week after my incredibly stressful final exams ended, and basically should have just not been taking it then (which I sort of knew) but I didn't change my date because I just wanted to get it over with and I was sort of hoping for the best. It was an awful idea, and I really regret it.

I'm taking a year off before applying (I'm in my senior year now) and am scheduled to take the MCAT again January 29th. I feel about a hundred times better this time than I did last time. However, I'm still only getting around 28-30 on AAMC exams. I always end up being one question away from getting the higher score! Its really frustrating.

Basically I'm worried that if I retake and get below a 30 it will really hurt my chances, however I also don't know that studying until March is going to be a good idea because I have a pretty heavy coarse-load this semester. I'd like to apply in June, and don't want to wait until the summer.

Any advice?
Thanks so much!

(Btw, I'm also a math major at a very good school with a 3.6 GPA and lots of research/clinical experience)

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get a 28 I'm sure you will get in somewhere; obviously not a top-10 but you should get accepted to a medical school assuming everything else on your app is solid.

Even if I got a 23 the first time? I feel like I HAVE to get above a 30 this time to prove myself, and obviously taking it a third time is not ideal because that just doesn't look good...right?

And the rest of my application is pretty solid, I didn't do well in two of my core classes but I've made up for it elsewhere (by doing really well in my math classes and biochemistry) and I have excellent recommendations.

Please respond!! I'm getting really anxious about the exam. Not sure if I should just take it and void it - but really not sure if I can do any better in March.

Helppppp. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Please respond!! I'm getting really anxious about the exam. Not sure if I should just take it and void it - but really not sure if I can do any better in March.

Helppppp. :confused:

A 28 and a 3.6 will be a hard sell to MD schools, so I have to disagree with the poster above unless you're interested in going DO.

I mean it'll be "alright," but it won't be a combination that I would be confident on.

The most practical thing you can do is, reduce the course load for the spring/drop them completely, and maybe take some classes over the summer/fall to compensate.

There's a well-known statistical equation where if you take your gpa*10 + MCAT score - 1 > 65, you will be good for MD schools (maybe not the top ones, but honestly who really gives a ****? MD is MD in the end and you can get into any residency depending on your USMLE scores)

i.e. 3.6*10 + x -1 > 65, so you'd need a 30 on the MCAT.

If you could dedicate February, March, and April to the MCAT just studying (try SN2Ed's schedule that is stickied), and you spent 4-5 hours a day, I'm confident you'd get over a 30 and even higher on the MCAT.

It's not the end of the world if you don't "graduate" on May of 2010, I mean if you took classes in the summer or even in teh fall, you could finish it then.

You would also be able to walk during graduation as it shouldn't be a problem.

But honestly, if you don't want to waste another year if your eally want to get into an MD school and you got a 23 on the MCAT, then you haven't understood the concepts that well/remembered them that well.

MCAT has a lot of short-term memory things. Quick reflexes (coming through practice problems) makes it fairly straightforward to get a high score on the PS if you practice it a lot. So PS is probably the most straightforward one to do better on. BS is second and Verbal is the last/worst.

Summary: Delay your spring classes until summer/fall at the most take 2-3 classes (easy ones that don't require any if at all study time), and just focus on the MCAT for 3-4 months. We're in January (3rd week), so if you did this soon, you would have February, March, April so 3.5 months to study for the May 1st exam.

May 1st exam score comes out June 1st, and you'd be right on the spot for applying on time (which I believe starts on June 5th, 4 days later).

Your GPA is fine, and getting As might get your gpa above SLIGHTLY (maybe by a tenth or two or three), but the benefits are MARGINAL at the best.

You're going to get the best bang for the buck if you just spend some solid study time on the MCAT with no distractions, no other obligations (WORK, school, extra curriculars, etc.).

But yeah, if you follow SN2Ed's 96 day schedule by using the books he recommends (TBR Physics I and II, Gen Chem I and II, Orgo I and II, Exam Krackers Bio, EK Bio 1001, EK Orgo 1001, EK Gen Chem 1001, EK Physics 1001, and EK 101 Verbal Passages + the 8 REAL AAMC MCAT exams), I strongly think that you'll get over a 30 and even higher on the real thing.

Also check out the 30+ MCAT Thread and read through all the 30+ responses and how they studied to give you an idea of what you'er doing wrong

I mean think about it this way. Say if you get a 28 or even lower on the MCAT. Then you're definitely/most likely not going to get into an MD school (but you can get into a DO school though), and you'll end up taking another year off if you want to get into an MD school anyways.

Of course, if all you're interested in is getting into ANY medical school in America, then if you get anything over a 25 you should be solid. Even your 23 + 3.6 gpa will get you into some DO schools like Lake Erie --- the standards at some of the schools are a little lower.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to get some advice from all of you. I took my MCAT last year and did very, very poorly (23). I was unprepared, took it about a week after my incredibly stressful final exams ended, and basically should have just not been taking it then (which I sort of knew) but I didn't change my date because I just wanted to get it over with and I was sort of hoping for the best. It was an awful idea, and I really regret it.

I'm taking a year off before applying (I'm in my senior year now) and am scheduled to take the MCAT again January 29th. I feel about a hundred times better this time than I did last time. However, I'm still only getting around 28-30 on AAMC exams. I always end up being one question away from getting the higher score! Its really frustrating.

Basically I'm worried that if I retake and get below a 30 it will really hurt my chances, however I also don't know that studying until March is going to be a good idea because I have a pretty heavy coarse-load this semester. I'd like to apply in June, and don't want to wait until the summer.

Any advice?
Thanks so much!

(Btw, I'm also a math major at a very good school with a 3.6 GPA and lots of research/clinical experience)

ALso, with the planning that I laid out, I state that you could take it May 1st (giving you 3.5 months if you start NOW), and in a worst case scenario, if you think you did bad on THAT May 1st MCAT, you can continue to study throughout May and take it again on either May 23,27, or June 17th (giving you an additional 23,27 or 46 or days additionally).

And your application would not be late and still be early even if you took it as far as June 17th (which the scores would come out on July 17th or so?).

It's when you start taking the MCAT in late July/August when you start running into problems, but honestly it's not the end of the world for that.

Thank you for the quick reply, I really appreciate it.

I can't take this semester off...many of the classes I have to take are either only offered in the spring semester or not offered at all in the summer. I suppose that technically there is a class that I could drop (because I don't necessarily NEED it) but I'd really rather not do that. Also I'm already enrolled/paid for all my classes. Also, doesn't it look bad if you have a reduced credit load?

What if I take it in June, and have about a month to study after I graduate? I would keep up with studying this semester, but I wouldn't want my school work to slip because I'm studying for the MCATs instead of my classes.

My only issue is that I've taken all the AAMC exams (except 10) and the Kaplan exams. I'm not sure what else to study with...besides re-taking all of those again (for a third time).

Also, how do you feel about sitting for the exam and then voiding it? I'm afraid that if I actually take the exam (unless its really really awful) I wouldn't void it. I can't change my date now, because the two weeks deadline has already passed.

Thank you for the quick reply, I really appreciate it.

I can't take this semester off...many of the classes I have to take are either only offered in the spring semester or not offered at all in the summer. I suppose that technically there is a class that I could drop (because I don't necessarily NEED it) but I'd really rather not do that. Also I'm already enrolled/paid for all my classes. Also, doesn't it look bad if you have a reduced credit load?

What if I take it in June, and have about a month to study after I graduate? I would keep up with studying this semester, but I wouldn't want my school work to slip because I'm studying for the MCATs instead of my classes.

My only issue is that I've taken all the AAMC exams (except 10) and the Kaplan exams. I'm not sure what else to study with...besides re-taking all of those again (for a third time).

Also, how do you feel about sitting for the exam and then voiding it? I'm afraid that if I actually take the exam (unless its really really awful) I wouldn't void it. I can't change my date now, because the two weeks deadline has already passed.

It all boils down to your risk tolerance.

1) It doesn't look bad if you're taking less credits. From what it sounds like you just need to finish the final classes, but honestly, I would just minimize it to the things you absolutely needed. Putting your time and energy into the MCAT will bring more benefits not only int he short-run but in the long run of your career. And just say that you were working a part time job babysitting/tutoring/volunteering/working or or whatever, that way if they ever asked you (highly unlikely though) what you did on the spring you wouldn't have to just say I just studied for the MCAT the whole time lol.

Your GPA is fine, your problem spot is the MCAT. You need at least a 30 on it to stand a decent/good chance into getting into an MD school. Ify ou're hispanic/black/etc. that may not be the case of course, but it sounds like you're not.

The big question is how well do you know yourself? Are you good at multi-tasking? Are you good under high loads? Do you get distracted easily? Do you handle endurance/stamina marathons? You gotta be pretty sure if you can study for the MCAT and do a full time schedule at the same time.

If you're good, then maybe you'll be fine, but if you're doubtful, I don't think you'll do too well doing both at the same time.

You scored a 23 on the original, and you are getting in the 27-30 range right?

Your problem is you don't understand the material/haven't practiced the right stuff sufficiently. What books/course did you use?

You really just need to take the time to sit down and go over the fundamentals for physics/chemistry in particular and you can get the highest gains on that if you just do lots of plug and chug questions. This will help you drill the concepts into your head.

Bio/Orgo will be memorization/short-term memorization rather, but a lot of practice will help too.

Again, look at the SN2ed 96 day schedule (little over 3 months to complete).

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it will be a big deal. If admission committees ever asked, just say that you weren't feeling very well or something. Don't say that you bombed it because then they may think you're a ****** lol. Tell them you had explosive diarrhea and they'll understand (they have to do a lot of rectal exams and the diarrhetic ones are the worst :) ) LOL.

I mean seeing as you are signed up for the January one, take it and see how you do. If you feel that by the end of the test that you didn't do as well as you think you needed to, then void of course. If you think you got a 30 on it, then see what happens.

In either case, I would still start studying after the MCAT. See this MCAT that is coming not as the last time you will be taking it, and just study through until the score comes out (if you decide to see it). This way you will not forget the stuff you know now, and waste a month doing nothing MCAT related. It's kind of a ****ty situation I know, but I'm in a similar position too (32 on the MCAT, but 3.35 gpa in engineering, so I need a higher MCAT (35+) to balance out my gpa.) Im going to take it May 1st, and continue studying after May 1st, see how my score is on June 1, and then decide whether or not I will take it on June 17th (45 days after May 1st or so).

Tradeoff: You have to study after the first and hopefully only time that you take the MCAT which sucks donkey and goat balls when you want to stop, but if you're in a position where oyu can't afford to just take it once and get an OK score, then you're really out of luck.

Summary: Take the MCAT see what happens, but continue studying after it and plan on taking it on May 1st which gives you 3.5 months or so. SN2ed's schedule is 96 days and is laid out for you. I would recommend the books that I recommended above if you're not using them already, and go over everything again slowly for ~60 days and then do practice tests (you can use berkeley review CBTs, and Gold Standard CBTs as well since you exhausted AAMCs and Kaplans AND in a couple of months you can redo AAMC 3-10 as you will have forgotten a lot and you use them to calibrate yourself to the exam.

Here is SN2ED's schedule: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

Again, i can say pretty confidently that if you can do what he says in that thread, there would be no reason why you can't go over a 30 on the MCAT.

Cut the additional class that you don't need to graduate if you're absolutely deadset on finishing your classes this semester.

Ideally/most realistically you need to have 3-3.5 months to just focusing solely on the MCAT with no other obligations. Doing full time classes is putting you in a precarious position, and it's risky. Sure you may be paying for tuition for the spring, but the opportunity costs in not getting into the medical school of your choice (i.e. every year of lost income as a future doctor will far outweigh any costs in the short run) far outweigh any short-term misery/bull**** you have to go through now.

You also mentioned that you can't take them in the summer right? Are you sure you can't take them somewhere else like at a college near your home or even taking the classes in the fall? It's not like you're in a rush really.

At the end of the day , your gpa is FINE, however, it's safe to say that your MCAT score will determine whether or not you get into an MD school or not.

Not the classes you take this spring/summer/fall. You've already proven that you're capable of doing the work and your GPA shows for that.

Now you have to prove that you're not a *******.

Last edited:
In any case, hopefully you do well on the January MCAT. If it goes well, then obviously what I said above need not apply to you any longer. But it's still a safe idea to start studying again after your January MCAT (if you don't void it), just in case you **** up on this one.

If you do decide to study after the January one, then you need to really start reassessing where you went wrong and where you are weak. You need to take an honest critical look at yourself and figure this out. The more brutal and realistic you are, the better off you will be.

You also need to start picking at the 30+ MCAT CBT thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250), in case you start studying for the MCAT again after the January one (obviously don't waste your time on this right now seeing as the January one is coming up very soon right?)

You'll get clues as to what people did, what their mindset was like, etc. and it'll key you on some things that you didn't realize before.

Thanks so much for the advice Mister T. I really appreciate it. I'll take the January and see how I feel/if I should void it, and then just start back up studying again. I'll see about my classes as well and maybe try to drop a class or two if I can. It just sucks because a lot of people at my school manage to study for the MCATs with a full class load and do fine on it, for some reason I seem to be the exception to that rule. I can't help but feel disheartened.

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me and I'm definitely going to take everything you say into account! Good luck to you with studying as well!

Thanks so much for the advice Mister T. I really appreciate it. I'll take the January and see how I feel/if I should void it, and then just start back up studying again. I'll see about my classes as well and maybe try to drop a class or two if I can. It just sucks because a lot of people at my school manage to study for the MCATs with a full class load and do fine on it, for some reason I seem to be the exception to that rule. I can't help but feel disheartened.

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me and I'm definitely going to take everything you say into account! Good luck to you with studying as well!

You can't compare yourself to others for so many reasons. For instance, you don't know their GPA, their parental pressure, their socioeconomics status, the difficulty of their classes, their interest in studying, etc. etc. etc. And we're all at different levels of physical/emotional/intellectual maturity.

Just remember that this is not a rat race against your peers. Go at your own pace. There are things that you are better than others, and there are other things that others are better than you.

One thing you have to keep in mind that the MCAT isn't an IQ test, you can study for it and you can improve as much as you want (to get as high as the 40s even, there are stories that I personally know of normal people nad on the 30+ mcat thread where people went from low scores to very high scores after enough hard work and shrewd thinking).

Honestly, the exam doesn't test intelligence as much as it does the same **** over and over again.

I studied for about 4 weeks while on a full time schedule and received that 32 and to be honest a lot of the stuff was just high school level chemistry and physics.

My weakest sections were verbal (10) and biological sciences (10) and I lost points on those because I didn't drill enough for verbal nor memorize enough bull**** the days before the exam.

Though a 32 is fine, it's not enough when your GPA is low as mine (3.35), but my argument is that my reasoning skills are a lot better than the average premed and I've taken harder classes, but adcoms don't really give a **** when they'll admit some phys. ed major from CC (no hate to you fellas, you guys did it right lol) with a 4.0 gpa.

It's really just a game tbh.

But anyways, I wouldn't feel disheartened. You need to remove yourself from your fate --- kinda becoming an ascetic. Cold and aloof to your fate --- and you end up like a robot --- just doing everything mechanically and automated.

It's kind of like RNA translation, you're bound to catch some errors here and there, and you have to ask yourself when you got them wrong, was it because you didn't understand the concept being tested or was it something else (like lack of time, difficult question, stupidly worded, something obscure that you didn't cover, etc. etc.)

And yes, it's a good idea to cut as many classes as possible. It's a tiny sacrifice you have to make if you want to minimize your risks. As far as you should be concerned, your gpa is set, you've proven that you can do hardwork.

So you're basically at the break even point, and a lot is riding on your MCAT score. Don't mess that up. The ability to do well on this MCAT is in your hands as difficult as that may seem --- but it takes time to do things.

And don't fret too much about studying again after the January MCAT, you'll get your score in about 4 weeks, so it shouldn't' be too long. Hopefully you find out some good news and can then burn all your books.

Case 1: I guess the best case scenario for you is if you get over a 30 on this MCAT. If that happens, and you continued studying til your score came out, it wouldn't be a big deal because you could just stop. If you do drop the classes, then you won't have them, but that shouldn't be a priority in your plan of attack. And to boot, you'll have more free time to do other things, you know --- to relax, sleep in, meet other people, whatever. Much of college anyways isn't what you do in class but what you do outside.

Case 2: On the other hand, if you **** up on this one, and you continue studying, while dropping 2 or 3 classes (with very low credtits and I'm talking like 6 credits a week) you will have averted a major disaster in many ways, by now having an additional 3.5 months to study (up to 4.5 months if you decide to take it again on June 17th) for the MCAT with almost every day dedicated to studying/exercising (yah I said that you need to not be a fat ass)/relaxing/sleeping well.

Because you seem to have studied once, this review over 3.5 months should be more than adequate in assessing your weak points and whatnot.

Absolute worst case scenario for the May 1, you STILL feel like you ****ed up, you'll get your score out on June 1, and you can then decide with a whole two weeks before the June 17th MCAT comes out whether or not you want to take the MCAT a third time. If **** turns loose on June 1st, at least you can take a week or two break at some point between May 1 and June 17th in case you want a break. In fact, I would recommend it (May 1-May 15th is probably ideal, because that way you can minimize the amount of studying from May 15th to June 1st which is when the May 1st score comes out, and this beats studying a whole month from May 1st to June 1st and hten taking a 2 week break at that point).

But I don't think that will happen if you end up studying for 3.5 months and hitting all your weakpoints. I'm pretty confident on that.

Just make sure to read up on SN2Ed's schedule, purchase any of those books if you have ****ty ones, and read the 30+ MCAT Thread that i told you about before.

Good luck, don't give up, and lurk around the SDN MCAT Forum for motivation/inspiration/support etc.

Last edited:
Wow, can you give your 32 to me?! Hah I wish. Well, thanks again for the advice. Right now I'm sort of thinking I'll take the exam and void it and just start back up studying right away.

I believe I have to take 12 credits this semester to remain a full time student at my school and stay in the dorms etc. so the most I can cut back on is one class, but I guess it will have to do.

I have the Kaplan books - I guess I should try to get the books that Sn2ed recommended. I hate the thought of buying MORE books but I guess if those books are really that good then I should. I also have some pretty old examkrackers books.

Thanks again for the encouragement and good luck to you with everything!

Wow, can you give your 32 to me?! Hah I wish. Well, thanks again for the advice. Right now I'm sort of thinking I'll take the exam and void it and just start back up studying right away.

I believe I have to take 12 credits this semester to remain a full time student at my school and stay in the dorms etc. so the most I can cut back on is one class, but I guess it will have to do.

I have the Kaplan books - I guess I should try to get the books that Sn2ed recommended. I hate the thought of buying MORE books but I guess if those books are really that good then I should. I also have some pretty old examkrackers books.

Get the BR books...for sciences....:thumbup:

mister t, so according to your equation, you can get a 4.0 and a 26 on the mcat.. right? seems a little far-fetched, i mean a 4.0 is hands down amazing but it seems that you should AT LEAST need about a 28 for an md?

mister t, so according to your equation, you can get a 4.0 and a 26 on the mcat.. right? seems a little far-fetched, i mean a 4.0 is hands down amazing but it seems that you should AT LEAST need about a 28 for an md?

Everyone and school has their own equations....

not my equation, its thrown around here on SDN. It shouldn't be taken for granted and it's compiled from the raw data that was available from two years ago.

It gives you a rough/somewhat accurate picture of where you are.

Probably +-1 or 2 MCAT points is the error range?

Last edited:

Do you need to be full time to be in the dorms? Can't you live off campus or something?

The only reason that i can think of why you would absolutely need to be full time that makes sense is if you have any health insurance policy under your parents that makes you do so.

I don't know if this works in your school --- but maybe you can ask the registrar, but can't you sign up for say 12 credits, and then drop the amount you need before add/drop ends?

I mean they wouldn't kick you out of the dorms on your last semester would they? And worst case scenario, you could live in an off-campus apartment near campus and save money to boot. Living in the dorms is overrated anyhows with mandatory meal plans and gay ass restrictions.

The reason why I (and many others) put so much emphasis on this is because it's going to be very difficult with 12 credits and more doing a solid job of preparing for the MCAT, especially in the situation you're in.

There's a 50/50 chance as far as we know (and you know) that you can do both without burning out/not doing anything at all.

Don't expect that you'll do well by a last minute cram session (it can happen, but don't count on it/rely on that), it's just not worth it.