Advice about self-studying for Physics/Biochem during my weird gap year!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoloMan7

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all. I was supposed to be a rising junior this year but with covid and not wanting to miss out on my college experience (research, ambassador, etc.) I have deferred my scholarship until next fall and I am taking a gap year. I will be taking an EMT course this fall semester that is Mondays and Thursdays from 6-10pm. This will then turn into a job in the spring. I will also be doing some volunteering and possibly some shadowing.

Where I am looking for some advice is whether to get a clinically related job or to study for the MCAT this fall/spring. I will have tons of time and can get it out of the way without having 15 hours both semesters next year. Being an EMT will get me plenty of clinical hours and doing some random job in a hospital will not make me stand ADCOMS so I do not see a huge upside to that.

For classes I have taken:

Bio 1: A

Bio 2: A

Cell Bio: A-

Chem 1: B

Chem 2: B-

Orgo 1: A-

Orgo 2: A

Orgo Lab: A

Intro Psych, Developmental Psych, Abnormal Psych: All As

However, I have not taken Physics or Biochem.

I am wondering if you think I can self-study for those and be ready for the test this upcoming spring (see how I feel in January but be willing to push into March/April.)

Thanks for all and any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi y'all. I was supposed to be a rising junior this year but with covid and not wanting to miss out on my college experience (research, ambassador, etc.) I have deferred my scholarship until next fall and I am taking a gap year. I will be taking an EMT course this fall semester that is Mondays and Thursdays from 6-10pm. This will then turn into a job in the spring. I will also be doing some volunteering and possibly some shadowing.

Where I am looking for some advice is whether to get a clinically related job or to study for the MCAT this fall/spring. I will have tons of time and can get it out of the way without having 15 hours both semesters next year. Being an EMT will get me plenty of clinical hours and doing some random job in a hospital will not make me stand ADCOMS so I do not see a huge upside to that.

For classes I have taken:

Bio 1: A

Bio 2: A

Cell Bio: A-

Chem 1: B

Chem 2: B-

Orgo 1: A-

Orgo 2: A

Orgo Lab: A

Intro Psych, Developmental Psych, Abnormal Psych: All As

However, I have not taken Physics or Biochem.

I am wondering if you think I can self-study for those and be ready for the test this upcoming spring (see how I feel in January but be willing to push into March/April.)

Thanks for all and any advice!
It's not recommended, but you are apparently a very good student and only you know what you are capable of. The good news is that you don't have to make a commitment up front.

Buy some review books, start studying, and see how it goes. If you don't like your progress, don't sign up for the test. You are in no rush since you won't be applying until at least 2022. The only fly in the ointment, vis-a-vis your COVID inspired interlude in your education, is that if you don't do it now, all of your other coursework will be one year more stale by the time you take the test, potentially in the winter or spring of 2022, but this is not insurmountable. Plenty of non-traditional students do very well on the MCAT after being away from school for a number of years. Good luck!!!

I tried to study for the test last summer with no biochem and yeah I wouldn't recommend it. It's doable and has been done before but it'll be an obstacle. However as you have a LOT of time, I would at the very least give this a go. I recommend AKLectures for biochem videos over KA.

Reactions: 2 users
I tried to study for the test last summer with no biochem and yeah I wouldn't recommend it. It's doable and has been done before but it'll be an obstacle. However as you have a LOT of time, I would at the very least give this a go. I recommend AKLectures for biochem videos over KA.

What are AKVideos?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are AKVideos?
Youtube videos. They are hands down better than KA, very detailed, and easy to follow. I cannot imagine studying for this w/o biochem. Sure it's doable but if possible, try your best to take biochem.

No, don’t take the MCAT before junior year. Your score is only valid for 3 years. If for some reason you don’t apply senior year or are not admitted you would be putting yourself in a position where you might need to retake the exam.

No, don’t take the MCAT before junior year. Your score is only valid for 3 years. If for some reason you don’t apply senior year or are not admitted you would be putting yourself in a position where you might need to retake the exam.

I just feel with the mass amount of time I have I can put myself in a better position to score well rather than trying to do so with 16 credit hours + extra circulars, volunteering, etc.
Also, I thought my score would be good for 3 cycles (2022, 2023, 2024)? Definitely could be wrong on that though.

I just feel with the mass amount of time I have I can put myself in a better position to score well rather than trying to do so with 16 credit hours + extra circulars, volunteering, etc.
Also, I thought my score would be good for 3 cycles (2022, 2023, 2024)? Definitely could be wrong on that though.
It varies but it is usually within 3 years of matriculation. You should check with individual schools. However, with the average age of a matriculan being 25, it isn’t uncommon for applicants to have multiple gap years.

Back to your original question about self studying for physics and biochemistry. Biochem is the single most important subject on the mcat and permeates all sections of the exam except cars. Physics is something that some people pick up easily while others do not. To be clear, you’re talking about self studying three courses. It is doable but it’s a risk. The vast majority of your peers on the mcat will have completed the classes. For guidance I would recommend finding a free online biochem course (Dr. Alain Birk’s is excellent) and a physics workbook such as those from TBR.

Reactions: 1 user
It varies but it is usually within 3 years of matriculation. You should check with individual schools. However, with the average age of a matriculan being 25, it isn’t uncommon for applicants to have multiple gap years.
Not so much. I just did a spot check of a few schools, and they were all either 1/17 or 1/18 for this cycle, which is between 3.5 and 4.5 years from matriculation in July-August 2021. OP is correct -- based on the schools I checked, a 2024 applicant would be able to use scores from either 1/20 or 1/21.

Not so much. I just did a spot check of a few schools, and they were all either 1/17 or 1/18 for this cycle, which is between 3.5 and 4.5 years from matriculation in July-August 2021. OP is correct -- based on the schools I checked, a 2024 applicant would be able to use scores from either 1/20 or 1/21.

Edit: note that I wrote above that it varies.

Back to your original question about self studying for physics and biochemistry. Biochem is the single most important subject on the mcat and permeates all sections of the exam except cars. Physics is something that some people pick up easily while others do not. To be clear, you’re talking about self studying three courses. It is doable but it’s a risk. The vast majority of your peers on the mcat will have completed the classes. For guidance I would recommend finding a free online biochem course (Dr. Alain Birk’s is excellent) and a physics workbook such as those from TBR.

This advice is absolute gold!

Thank you for all of your responses! I am looking for the biochem course you are talking about but can't seem to find it. Do you have a link to it? Thanks!

Thank you for all of your responses! I am looking for the biochem course you are talking about but can't seem to find it. Do you have a link to it? Thanks!
I think this is it: