Advice and Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshbeatschris

New Phuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if you were in my shoes, what would you do...

My shoes (aka stats)
-currently have a 4.0 pre-pharmacy gpa
-have two associates degrees and a bachelors in which I graduated Magna
cum Laude
-took PCAT in January, got an 80th percentile (my personal cut off point)
-signed up to take it again in October, but think I might want to back out of
it because...
-Just scored a job at Walgreens as a pharmacy technician and I will be
going for my certification right around the same time
-Will have been out of gen chem and organic chem for about 6 months, so
that won't be as fresh.

Would you take it again and risk getting a lower score, or would you stick with the 80th percentile?

I'm in calculus and physics right now and will be working 30 hours at Walgreens, so time is very, very limited for studing again for PCAT.

Any advice or past experience is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

I think your 80 is fine given your outstanding GPA. But, if you have a particular school in mind it wouldnt hurt to drop the admissions counseler a line and see how they feel about it.

I think your experience at Walgreens, and your ability to get good LOR will overshadow any possible liability that your PCAT score might be to them. Drop the PCAT and concentrate on learning something interesting at your job to tell the adcoms.

Excel in your classes (lock down A's) and pharm tech job this fall and get your certification.

Your score's solid and you could always retake it in mid-January if you want to.

if you have a 4.0 gpa you should be goin to med school

i know this comment will piss some ppl off, but oh well

Members don't see this ad :)
chris,
Do some other things with your time, an 80 is fine and if it is not with all your other quals then maybe you don't want to be a part of that pretentious school. I would say that you could take sometime with yourself and reflect on the path you have taken and why you have taken it. I promise when you interview you will be gald that you took the time to figure out your answers to some of the difficult questions they ask. It will also allow you to come up with some original answers to the general stuff that most people have the same answer for. Why did you decide to become a pharmacist?---because I want to help people. Then why not nursing or med school or therapist?
Use the time you would have for a more productive thing that will help you get into school.
DR

Thank you for giving me your advice and opinions. I did, in fact, decide to drop taking the PCAT again. I will use that time to pass the Pharm Tech certification test and try to keep my 4.0 with calc and physics.

Chris