This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedGrl11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm an undergraduate student that just completed her first year at a university as a direct admit to Pharmacy School in the Pre-pharmacy program. My overall cumulative GPA at the moment is 3.9. As direct admits, we are supposed to take the PCAT the summer after our first year and receive at least a composite score over the 50th percentile. (Keep in mind we have not had any O-Chem, Biochem, Medical microbio). I took it the other day, and I have a serious issue with my scoring.

My scores:
Biology: 19th Percentile (Way better than what I did on any practice test)
Chemistry: 70th Percentile
QR: 47th Percentile
CR: 5th PERCENTILE!!!!
Yes, it is as weird as it looks.

The Critical Reading Percentile is a HUGE red flag for me. It is by far the easiest for me. On every practice test I recieved 80th percentile or above on CR, and it was very similar to the ACT, which I got a 33 in reading on! I did not find it difficult and I answered every question. I have been googling and its almost like I didn't answer any questions or that English isn't my first language?!?! (It is, and my ONLY!) I've tried to have pearson look into it to make sure the computer properly put in my scores but all they request to do is submit a rescore for $$, which they also say "changes the score hardly EVER". I've signed up to take it again in September, which I really don't want to do since I studied SO HARD to get these scores (Other than Reading). It just makes absolutely no sense to me. Also, on the preliminary score report (have not received official) the 5th percentile, the 5 is in align with the tenth's place. I can't find any other score reports that have a percentile >10 (ugh) to see what it is supposed to look like, but it just all looks very odd to me.

What is your advice? It's just really messing me up because I worked so hard to study and I have such a high GPA and I've been shadowing and really working my way into pharmacy school this past year, just for something like this to happen. Trust me, if it was Chemistry or Bio that I scored this low in I'd be like OK, thats fine.. but READING? The thing I scored best on the ACT and every practice test on? It just makes no sense.......

Thanks ahead for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all don't be so discouraged with reading. That's typically the lowest score for 90% of PCAT takers due to like 6 passages having to be read and 48 questions answered in 50 minutes. Reading is also weighed the lowest. For example i had a 29 in reading but a 97 composite. Do not worry so much on this section.

The biggest improvement you need to make is Biology as this weighs heavy next to Chem. What study materials are you using? If you aren't already, invest in Dr. Collins or Kaplan. Kaplan is much cheaper but not as concise. Work on the passage questions for any practice test and know how to use your logic to get the correct answer. Kaplan + Collins helped me get a 99 in this section.

Edit: know basic micro. Since you have not had this class, use a good study reference and/or youtube to get you the basics. Please know your micro. Please. It will bring your score up.

Chem could use a bit of work, but 70th percentile really is a good number. It's my understanding that Chem is weighed the heaviest, so aim for an 85 this next time around. I solely used Collins and youtube on this section for a 99, as Kaplan was garbage for chemistry. Know periodic trends, reactions, calculations, gas laws, etc.

Edit: Know basic ochem reactions! SN1,SN2,E1,E2,Dehydration,Hydrolysis,Grignard,Carbonyl reactions.

Math needs to come up a bit as well. Focus on working problems in less than 30 seconds if possible. Also work on word based problems.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all don't be so discouraged with reading. That's typically the lowest score for 90% of PCAT takers due to like 6 passages having to be read and 48 questions answered in 50 minutes. Reading is also weighed the lowest. For example i had a 29 in reading but a 97 composite. Do not worry so much on this section.

The biggest improvement you need to make is Biology as this weighs heavy next to Chem. What study materials are you using? If you aren't already, invest in Dr. Collins or Kaplan. Kaplan is much cheaper but not as concise. Work on the passage questions for any practice test and know how to use your logic to get the correct answer. Kaplan + Collins helped me get a 99 in this section.

Edit: know basic micro. Since you have not had this class, use a good study reference and/or youtube to get you the basics. Please know your micro. Please. It will bring your score up.

Chem could use a bit of work, but 70th percentile really is a good number. It's my understanding that Chem is weighed the heaviest, so aim for an 85 this next time around. I solely used Collins and youtube on this section for a 99, as Kaplan was garbage for chemistry. Know periodic trends, reactions, calculations, gas laws, etc.

Edit: Know basic ochem reactions! SN1,SN2,E1,E2,Dehydration,Hydrolysis,Grignard,Carbonyl reactions.

Math needs to come up a bit as well. Focus on working problems in less than 30 seconds if possible. Also work on word based problems.
How did you study for the passage questions because i feel like i missed most of those on the pcat. What strategies can i use on the passage questions for biology. The chemistry passage questions are easy.