Advice: Chronic illness and medical school - forfeit acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have some chronic health issues... One thing I would like to mention is not a lot of doctors have experience being patients, so it might be hard to judge what is actually possible for their patients to do. Not saying to discount their advice, especially because we know our own training best, but to think critically about whether what they say truly applies to you based on what you know about the job and yourself. Maybe a good thing would be to gather a realistic idea of what life is like at your school and try to live on that schedule on your own for a few days?

Another thing is there are a lot of specialties that are more "desk job", not just the lifestyle ones... e.g. I'm in peds and I do the occasional LP or art stick, and walk around on rounds and to answer pages (which can be a few or a lot), but that's about it in terms of physical exertion. There's definitely time to have a snack, take a scheduled med in the break room, or other minor things you would need. Could you push through the more physically exhausting specialties for a few months to make it through 3rd year? Are you dead set on surgery/OB or would you be open to other fields?

Finally I have found that a lot of my issues are solved with good time management/planning/organization. For example, I also have to eat pretty frequently. I ALWAYS carry snacks in my pockets so I don't get stuck in a bad situation (on surgery/OB I ate between cases or literally any other time we had a break). I know lots of residents who prep all their meals and snacks and only eat homemade meals (/leftovers) at work for various reasons, health or ideological... on some rotations or specialties this is going to be harder but at some point it comes down to prioritizing. Also know people who go to the gym daily! On surgery my main priority was sleep so I had zero social life except my weekly trip to the grocery store because I'd just come home, eat dinner and go to bed lol.

ETA: I do know a decent number of people who have taken time off for illness but they have all been able to come back (e.g. a new diagnosis). I also know a LOT of colleagues who have some sort of chronic health problem or disability. It's hard for us to say b/c we don't know you. I honestly think the best thing might be to try living "on schedule" or maybe even shadowing again to see if you can handle it.

Feel free to PM if you want more specifics.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow I know naturopaths doing great things.
One in my area is helping create a liquid vitamin. Anything that absorbs through the Gi by itself is better than pill form:) why are you against naturopaths?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you think the pill form is absorbed?
PS because many/most are quacks and use non evidenced based practices.

--
Il Destriero

Where do you think the pill form is absorbed?
PS because many/most are quacks and use non evidenced based practices.

--
Il Destriero

Of course I know pills are absorbed through the GI. But what I meant is that these 'coated pills' are not exactly good for the Gi. In my case, I had acute gastritis s few years ago; my stomach is permanently damaged. I stopped taking coated pills immediately and switched to more liquid based options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course I know pills are absorbed through the GI. But what I meant is that these 'coated pills' are not exactly good for the Gi. In my case, I had acute gastritis s few years ago; my stomach is permanently damaged. I stopped taking coated pills immediately and switched to more liquid based options.

What evidence do you for this besides feels?

After the bout of viral gastroenteritis the chiropractor confirmed that there was permanent gastric changes requiring special vitamins. The naturopath came to the same conclusion after tasting her urine.

--
Il Destriero

Thumbs down.

After the bout of viral gastroenteritis the chiropractor confirmed that there was permanent gastric changes requiring special vitamins. The naturopath came to the same conclusion after tasting her urine.

--
Il Destriero
Both said the special formulation could only be bought for cash. From their clinic.

But what I meant is that these 'coated pills' are not exactly good for the Gi.

That's literally the point of coated pills: to protect the GI tract. (Also to protect the drug from early degradation and delay release but still...)