If there's a nail in the coffin for the illegitimacy of US News, this is it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anakinmemer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Pulled their prelim rankings to recalculate after receiving too many complaints from deans. I think we can assume which ones are at the top of the list. Looking at you Harvard and NYU.

Obviously the schools that went up aren't calling for a recalculation, so why would they listen to the ones that went down over the ones that went up? Money. Obviously just speculation but there has to be some link. My money is on NYU buying their way back into the top 5 with the "adjusted" calculation...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think publishing minute updates on the mess at this stage is very helpful.

Schools pulling their support out of this was a good start, and the publicity surrounding the severe issues with the company was also helpful. But at this point, I think it's best to not focus on them anymore. Medicine is much more interesting.

Reactions: 2 users
The less oxygen we give to the USNWR, the better it is for everyone!

The US News ranking clearly does not inspire any confidence, when it is renegotiating its rankings on the eve of official release of its grad school rankings.

However, this also reveals the hypocrisy of these “high-minded schools”, which in reality do care about their pecking order on the ranking list -even though they would like to create an illusion of collective embargo against USNWR.
Lose-Lose!

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think publishing minute updates on the mess at this stage is very helpful.

Schools pulling their support out of this was a good start, and the publicity surrounding the severe issues with the company was also helpful. But at this point, I think it's best to not focus on them anymore. Medicine is much more interesting.
They didn't pull their support if they are using their influence to alter the rankings. The fact that people are giving them brownie points for being high and mighty and pulling their endorsement of US News is odd, as they clearly care deeply how they are placed on the list, or they wouldn't be complaining about it

I do think it is important to highlight blatant manipulation such as this to delegitimize the list. More people treat it as gospel than you might realize

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users