Advice, dropping out of med school? keep pushing?

Started by kolopsia
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolopsia

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't write this to absolve myself of my own shortcomings and poor insight, and I regret taking someone else's seat in med school. I admit that I didn't make an informed decision about my career choice.

But I just want to know what you would do, if you were in my situation.

After 2 years and doing 2 rotations, I realized that medicine and its culture is just not for me. None of the material in the 2 years interested me -- at all. I didn't find the second year material any better than the first. For what it's worth, I had average grades and step the first two years.

The work in the rotations, thus far, has been nauseous: I can't muster any enthusiasm, despite my best efforts. I can't imagine doing this for another 6 years of my life--let alone the rest of my life.

My friends say, "well, dude, only two rotations! you have to wait and see what you like! You don't even know yet! Fourth year will be better"

Well, that's two more years of loans, of "giving it some time." I already foolishly gave it more time, after the first year. I do not want that phrase to become my mantra for the rest of my career. Life's too short.

So I need a "drink and a quick decision."

Prior to med school, I had a low paying entry-level job. To be honest, I enjoyed it a lot, despite the low pay. I am extremely frugral and didn't spend much. I realized that I do not need intellectual stimulation or battles. I am content to be a snail.

In terms of skills and vision for what I would do instead of med school? I have no idea. Like many other med students I talked to, I had a one-track mind after college and decided that med school was "the only thing I could imagine doing" -- well, those people knew themselves better than I did, apparently. I do recognize the harsh job market, that med school is an investment on practical skills, and its not like life will be easier outside of med school.

What would you do? Push on? I just don't know...
 
Last edited:
One day all of you little bastards will realize how little the whole "liking your job" and "being satisfied with what you do" thing really means. There are bigger problems in the world that I am just beginning to realize. I can no longer stand the complaints about petty things..............I lost my pet Goldfish Paulie last night to a tragic and vicious attack by my girlfriends cat.......and it has really opened my Eyes..........and one day I hope you can learn to appreciate what you have!
 
Thank you for your heartfelt advice. Your Goldfish Paulie is in my thoughts.

One day all of you little bastards will realize how little the whole "liking your job" and "being satisfied with what you do" thing really means. There are bigger problems in the world that I am just beginning to realize. I can no longer stand the complaints about petty things..............I lost my pet Goldfish Paulie last night to a tragic and vicious attack by my girlfriends cat.......and it has really opened my Eyes..........and one day I hope you can learn to appreciate what you have!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stick it out. At this point you've come too far. At least finish the MD. You never know where life will go so keeping options open is always a good thing. There are a number of options for MDs that don't involve direct patient care, not to mention even some specialties that may fit the bill. Most of these outside MD jobs don't pay as well as patient care, but they still pay better than most other jobs out there. You could be a well paid snail at least!

Debt wise, you're already at a point where you'll probably be paying it back with an IBR plan. If you decide to go back to your old job, you'll be making 25 years of the same IBR payment regardless of actual debt because payments are fixed to your adjusted gross income, and it's doubtful your AGI will increase to the point where the IBR payment equals your actual payment. So that's one more reason to stick it out.

Look for places in medicine that avoid the things you dislike and possibly look into what other options exist for MDs.
 
I would push forward. We all have these days kolopsia. Medicine is an extremely broad field. I am sure you will find something you are interested in when you put the time in to look around. Best of luck man. I feel for you, I really do.
 
I don't write this to dissolve myself of my own shortcomings and poor insight, and I regret taking someone else's seat in med school. I admit that I didn't make an informed decision about my career choice.

But I just want to know what you would do, if you were in my situation.

After 2 years and doing 2 rotations, I realized that medicine and its culture is just not for me. None of the material in the 2 years interested me -- at all. I didn't find the second year material any better than the first. For what it's worth, I had average grades and step the first two years.

The work in the rotations, thus far, has been nauseous: I can't muster any enthusiasm, despite my best efforts. I can't imagine doing this for another 6 years of my life--let alone the rest of my life.

My friends say, "well, dude, only two rotations! you have to wait and see what you like! You don't even know yet! Fourth year will be better"

Well, that's two more years of loans, of "giving it some time." I already foolishly gave it more time, after the first year. I do not want that phrase to become my mantra for the rest of my career. Life's too short.

So I need a "drink and a quick decision."

Prior to med school, I had a low paying entry-level job. To be honest, I enjoyed it a lot, despite the low pay. I am extremely frugral and didn't spend much. I realized that I do not need intellectual stimulation or battles. I am content to be a snail.

In terms of skills and vision for what I would do instead of med school? I have no idea. Like many other med students I talked to, I had a one-track mind after college and decided that med school was "the only thing I could imagine doing" -- well, those people knew themselves better than I did, apparently. I do recognize the harsh job market, that med school is an investment on practical skills, and its not like life will be easier outside of med school.

What would you do? Push on? I just don't know...

Get the MD and look at other options. M4 typically isn't that bad, so you're through 70% of the hardest part. Many people do other things with their MD.
 
I am going to echo everyone (except Junior) and encourage you to stick it out as well.
Like people have already said, there are many other things that you can do with your MD (teach, write..)
I would re-examine your reasons for going into medicine and try to find something within the medical field that aligns.

good luck! Iʻm sorry you feel this way. donʻt give up thought! youʻve come so far!!!
 
Finish the MD. Even if you hate it, the degree will help your future endeavors and at this point you have come too far.
 
Two rotations down in 3rd year? You must push on. I haven't experienced it yet but I have heard that 4th year is much better. Then you can explore options with your degree or suffer through intern year so you can get licensed.

Take care of yourself. Seek professional help. Do whatever it takes to get through as you have come too far. Best of luck!
 
I don't write this to absolve myself of my own shortcomings and poor insight, and I regret taking someone else's seat in med school. I admit that I didn't make an informed decision about my career choice.

But I just want to know what you would do, if you were in my situation.

After 2 years and doing 2 rotations, I realized that medicine and its culture is just not for me. None of the material in the 2 years interested me -- at all. I didn't find the second year material any better than the first. For what it's worth, I had average grades and step the first two years.

The work in the rotations, thus far, has been nauseous: I can't muster any enthusiasm, despite my best efforts. I can't imagine doing this for another 6 years of my life--let alone the rest of my life.

My friends say, "well, dude, only two rotations! you have to wait and see what you like! You don't even know yet! Fourth year will be better"

Well, that's two more years of loans, of "giving it some time." I already foolishly gave it more time, after the first year. I do not want that phrase to become my mantra for the rest of my career. Life's too short.

So I need a "drink and a quick decision."

Prior to med school, I had a low paying entry-level job. To be honest, I enjoyed it a lot, despite the low pay. I am extremely frugral and didn't spend much. I realized that I do not need intellectual stimulation or battles. I am content to be a snail.

In terms of skills and vision for what I would do instead of med school? I have no idea. Like many other med students I talked to, I had a one-track mind after college and decided that med school was "the only thing I could imagine doing" -- well, those people knew themselves better than I did, apparently. I do recognize the harsh job market, that med school is an investment on practical skills, and its not like life will be easier outside of med school.

What would you do? Push on? I just don't know...

Finish the MD. Then I would advise you to look into policy. You can do office-type work and other really cool things while still using the knowledge you have, and then branch into other things.

The National Academies has some really cool fellowships to help you get your feet wet in policy and see if you like it (and they're paid!). You can actually take a leave of absence from school to do them (one of the fellows in my class did that from Harvard, and another Academies friend took some time from Case so I know it can be done) if you set it up right. Plus it gives your school a little bit of prestige in having a Mirzayan Fellow, so many are receptive to that. They're about 12 weeks long. If you like it, AAAS has some 2-year fellowships with decent pay where you can make sure you really like it and make connections to organizations you might want to work for.

Also, medical journalism is a really cool field if you think you'd like that sort of thing. But I think that if you really liked your entry-level job, you might really like the NAS. It is a really variable job. I am a former fellow and if you find the site interesting I'll share my stores about it, plus if you email literally anyone on that site they will to.
 
I don't write this to absolve myself of my own shortcomings and poor insight, and I regret taking someone else's seat in med school. I admit that I didn't make an informed decision about my career choice.

But I just want to know what you would do, if you were in my situation.

After 2 years and doing 2 rotations, I realized that medicine and its culture is just not for me. None of the material in the 2 years interested me -- at all. I didn't find the second year material any better than the first. For what it's worth, I had average grades and step the first two years.

The work in the rotations, thus far, has been nauseous: I can't muster any enthusiasm, despite my best efforts. I can't imagine doing this for another 6 years of my life--let alone the rest of my life.

My friends say, "well, dude, only two rotations! you have to wait and see what you like! You don't even know yet! Fourth year will be better"

Well, that's two more years of loans, of "giving it some time." I already foolishly gave it more time, after the first year. I do not want that phrase to become my mantra for the rest of my career. Life's too short.

So I need a "drink and a quick decision."

Prior to med school, I had a low paying entry-level job. To be honest, I enjoyed it a lot, despite the low pay. I am extremely frugral and didn't spend much. I realized that I do not need intellectual stimulation or battles. I am content to be a snail.

In terms of skills and vision for what I would do instead of med school? I have no idea. Like many other med students I talked to, I had a one-track mind after college and decided that med school was "the only thing I could imagine doing" -- well, those people knew themselves better than I did, apparently. I do recognize the harsh job market, that med school is an investment on practical skills, and its not like life will be easier outside of med school.

What would you do? Push on? I just don't know...

What's miserable about medicine:by the time you're in a position to know you want to quit you're so burried in student loans, and you have such a gigantic gap on your resume, that it's tough to actually leave. You can't just go back to the entry level job because you now need to pay for two years of loans. Yet, of course, if you go forward you're diging an even deeper hole. The situaion sucks.

Most people, FWIW, don't quit. The jobs in medicine that tend to attract avrage stats people that aren't particularly interested in the intellectual stimulation of medicine include Anesthesiology, Pathology, PM&R, and to a much lesser extent psych and ER. You could have the same hours as that entry level job througout most of residency and then into your practice, for much better pay and job security.

On the other hand Peds, and to a lesser extend OB, Sugery, Psych, and Path tend to each capture a few hearts that were otherwise uninspired by medical school. I know that Peds and Psych were the only two rotations I could stomach, and Peds was the only one where I actually prefered coming into work to staying home in bed indefinitely. So you may still get lucky there.

If you stay in all I can recommend is that you really experiment with careeer fields not covered in your core classes. Maybe PM&R? Maybe Pain management? Gas? Aerospace Medicine? Set up a lot of electives early. I don't think anyone's advising you to quit because no one has any practical idea how you would do that and not spend the rest of your life paying off student loans for a career you don't have. Even in a good job market that would be tough. Maybe someone later will come along with a more practical plan.
 
Iiiiiit's my life. Don't youuuu forgeeet. It's my liiiife. IItttt neverrrrr endsssssss.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQYyKzyDaE[/YOUTUBE]

I've asked myself, how much do you commit yourself?
It's my life, don't you forget
Caught in the crowd, it never ends
It's my life, don't you forget
Caught in the crowd, it never ends
It's my life, don't you forget
Caught in the crowd, it never ends

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus!
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses. I read them all. I guess there is not much to say or do, right? There is a reason why medical admissions are stringent: so they don't admit people who will later regret their decision. Tonight I will dream of flamingos and cheesy 80s music from above video. Tomorrow will be another day.

Of clinic. On July 4th. And here we go again.
 
3rd year is the worst year ever. You are a total nobody and everyone dumps on you. Grow a thick skin and remember its all temporary.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I should be prepared to have a worst time than my 2nd year now that im starting 3rd year? I thought rotations were going to be more laid back... not after this though.
 
No, jumpman. Most people seem to enjoy third year a lot -- my friends certainly seem way more enthusiastic than I am, and SDN posts seem to suggest this trend as well. So I am probably an outlier. I've heard some say that people who don't enjoy third year more than the first two are probably the socially awkward who lock themselves in the library all day, anyhow. Well, I didn't enjoy the first two either, nor did I study all day. So it's all individual, and I don't hope to discourage you.

So I should be prepared to have a worst time than my 2nd year now that im starting 3rd year? I thought rotations were going to be more laid back... not after this though.
 
Last edited:
One day all of you little bastards will realize how little the whole "liking your job" and "being satisfied with what you do" thing really means. There are bigger problems in the world that I am just beginning to realize. I can no longer stand the complaints about petty things..............I lost my pet Goldfish Paulie last night to a tragic and vicious attack by my girlfriends cat.......and it has really opened my Eyes..........and one day I hope you can learn to appreciate what you have!

I don't think it's "liking your job" so much as it is "not hating every second you're doing your job."
 
So I should be prepared to have a worst time than my 2nd year now that im starting 3rd year? I thought rotations were going to be more laid back... not after this though.

I personally think its the worst part of medical training. Its everything that sucks about Intern year (long hours, no idea what you're doing), everything that sucks about second year (giant piles of books and qbanks for periodic standardized tests) and quite a few suckie things unique to third year (you have no place in the hospital but aren't allowed to leave, you'll often hold up walls for hours at a time, nurses feel no compulsion to even speak to you because you're not a real doctor, unlike residency you spend the majority of your time on services you don't even have a remote interest in or use for). My tune may change as Intern year goes on, but in general I think that third is worse than second, and every year after that gets better.
 
Last edited:
I don't write this to absolve myself of my own shortcomings and poor insight, and I regret taking someone else's seat in med school. I admit that I didn't make an informed decision about my career choice.

But I just want to know what you would do, if you were in my situation.

After 2 years and doing 2 rotations, I realized that medicine and its culture is just not for me. None of the material in the 2 years interested me -- at all. I didn't find the second year material any better than the first. For what it's worth, I had average grades and step the first two years.

The work in the rotations, thus far, has been nauseous: I can't muster any enthusiasm, despite my best efforts. I can't imagine doing this for another 6 years of my life--let alone the rest of my life.

My friends say, "well, dude, only two rotations! you have to wait and see what you like! You don't even know yet! Fourth year will be better"

Well, that's two more years of loans, of "giving it some time." I already foolishly gave it more time, after the first year. I do not want that phrase to become my mantra for the rest of my career. Life's too short.

So I need a "drink and a quick decision."

Prior to med school, I had a low paying entry-level job. To be honest, I enjoyed it a lot, despite the low pay. I am extremely frugral and didn't spend much. I realized that I do not need intellectual stimulation or battles. I am content to be a snail.

In terms of skills and vision for what I would do instead of med school? I have no idea. Like many other med students I talked to, I had a one-track mind after college and decided that med school was "the only thing I could imagine doing" -- well, those people knew themselves better than I did, apparently. I do recognize the harsh job market, that med school is an investment on practical skills, and its not like life will be easier outside of med school.

What would you do? Push on? I just don't know...

In college I majored in BME. The first two years were basic intro science courses and liberal arts courses. When I got to junior year we started doing real BME work and I realized that I hated it. But it was too late to turn back so I stuck it out and I'm glad I did. I never practiced as a BME but the skills I learned have certainly come in handy (mostly outside of med school). make the best of the situation you're in and keep moving forward...things will work out in the end and you'll find your niche.

So I should be prepared to have a worst time than my 2nd year now that im starting 3rd year? I thought rotations were going to be more laid back... not after this though.

3rd yr >> 2nd yr > 1st yr

...and I think the majority of med students would agree with me. those who think otherwise went to med school for all the wrong reasons and those who complain about being a third year have very little perspective. you've got to start somewhere and in clinical medicine the learning curve is very steep so yes, there will be a lot of standing around and not knowing what's going on and various people not including you but it's up to you to try to learn something from every situation.
 
In college I majored in BME. The first two years were basic intro science courses and liberal arts courses. When I got to junior year we started doing real BME work and I realized that I hated it. But it was too late to turn back so I stuck it out and I'm glad I did. I never practiced as a BME but the skills I learned have certainly come in handy (mostly outside of med school). make the best of the situation you're in and keep moving forward...things will work out in the end and you'll find your niche.



3rd yr >> 2nd yr > 1st yr

...and I think the majority of med students would agree with me. those who think otherwise went to med school for all the wrong reasons and those who complain about being a third year have very little perspective. you've got to start somewhere and in clinical medicine the learning curve is very steep so yes, there will be a lot of standing around and not knowing what's going on and various people not including you but it's up to you to try to learn something from every situation.

Glad to hear it. Looking forward to 3rd year. Despise sitting in the classroom, studying from books etc... Feel like an active learning environment is the best way for me to learn personally. Being engaged and asking questions is what I look foward too. Whether itll pan out like that I have yet to see.
 
\
...and I think the majority of med students would agree with me. those who think otherwise went to med school for all the wrong reasons and those who complain about being a third year have very little perspective.

Glad you cleared that up for me. I never realized how little perspective I had, or how I did this for all the wrong reasons.
 
The decision should be yours and yours only. I would recommend pressing on while looking for an alternative career after graduation. There is no point in saying, "I completed 2 years of medical school." You can be an asset in other fields such as consulting once you have your MD. Remember that you create your own happiness and you need to find out what makes you happy and pursue that in your free time until it becomes possible to devote more time to that. Good luck!
 
Are you a guy or a girl?

If guy, man the fk up. Med school sucks, especially third year - don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Finish your MD, do residency, make money, life gets better.

If girl, okay whatever. You likely have better things to do with your time, like buying shoes. Drop out if you want. If you're attractive try to marry rich. If not, well..
 
I didn't want to make a judgment before even seeing what you had to say so I read every word. It sounds like you barely squeezed into medical school and didn't appreciate that accomplishment. The first year of medical school won't give you any idea of what it is like to be a doctor. You did quit. I'm not going to sit there and pretend that I didn't have the same thoughts. I thought about giving up a few times and I know that there are many other people who thought about it too. It's a hard road and you made it in but couldn't handle it. That's it. I still have doubts and the future is uncertain but this is the path I chose and I'm going to stick with it.
 
One day all of you little bastards will realize how little the whole "liking your job" and "being satisfied with what you do" thing really means. There are bigger problems in the world that I am just beginning to realize. I can no longer stand the complaints about petty things..............I lost my pet Goldfish Paulie last night to a tragic and vicious attack by my girlfriends cat.......and it has really opened my Eyes..........and one day I hope you can learn to appreciate what you have!
This is the worst response ever
 
I don't write this to absolve myself of my own shortcomings and poor insight, and I regret taking someone else's seat in med school. I admit that I didn't make an informed decision about my career choice.

But I just want to know what you would do, if you were in my situation.

After 2 years and doing 2 rotations, I realized that medicine and its culture is just not for me. None of the material in the 2 years interested me -- at all. I didn't find the second year material any better than the first. For what it's worth, I had average grades and step the first two years.

The work in the rotations, thus far, has been nauseous: I can't muster any enthusiasm, despite my best efforts. I can't imagine doing this for another 6 years of my life--let alone the rest of my life.

My friends say, "well, dude, only two rotations! you have to wait and see what you like! You don't even know yet! Fourth year will be better"

Well, that's two more years of loans, of "giving it some time." I already foolishly gave it more time, after the first year. I do not want that phrase to become my mantra for the rest of my career. Life's too short.

So I need a "drink and a quick decision."

Prior to med school, I had a low paying entry-level job. To be honest, I enjoyed it a lot, despite the low pay. I am extremely frugral and didn't spend much. I realized that I do not need intellectual stimulation or battles. I am content to be a snail.

In terms of skills and vision for what I would do instead of med school? I have no idea. Like many other med students I talked to, I had a one-track mind after college and decided that med school was "the only thing I could imagine doing" -- well, those people knew themselves better than I did, apparently. I do recognize the harsh job market, that med school is an investment on practical skills, and its not like life will be easier outside of med school.

What would you do? Push on? I just don't know...

Don't dare drop out. The debt is already too high to justify it. 1.5 more years is nothing (4th year is basically a half year and you are already 2 rotations deep). If you just want to be a "snail," do it with a degree behind your name that will pay off the debt you've racked up. There are a TON of options outside of the small glimpse you are seeing now.

Anecdotally, I know people who hated the first two years and hoped 3rd year would get better, only to be crushed when they hated that too. They're all much happier now that they are actually doing their specialty. You can make it what you need it to be.

Also, you aren't the only one to hate 3rd year. There are threads about it every year (do a quick search). Besides, I wouldn't be surprised you find a specialty you actually like.

Don't like people? Consider Path or Rads.
Like kids? Peds...you can even work part time and make more money than other full-time jobs.
Hate kids? Family Med/Geriatrics/Cards/etc.
Like procedures? Gas, ENT, etc.

There is something out there for everyone. Trust me.
 
i duno if you've seen that documentary "doctor's diaries" but the only person who seems happy at the end is the women who just skips out and goes to work a 9-5 job for a pharm company. she seemed like she was making bank and had a functional family life, unlike the others...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i duno if you've seen that documentary "doctor's diaries" but the only person who seems happy at the end is the women who just skips out and goes to work a 9-5 job for a pharm company. she seemed like she was making bank and had a functional family life, unlike the others...

If I remember correctly, she didn't have kids, and maybe was single. But yeah seemed pretty happy.

The ophthalmologist and anesthesiologist seemed pretty satisfied too.
 
If I remember correctly, she didn't have kids, and maybe was single. But yeah seemed pretty happy.

The ophthalmologist and anesthesiologist seemed pretty satisfied too.

They did both seem fairly happy, despite having both had divorces. I think the happiest of all was that Jewish woman who was a general practitioner at that under-served hospital who got married and had kids right when she was turning 40. She seemed to think she had it all in the end.
 
They did both seem fairly happy, despite having both had divorces. I think the happiest of all was that Jewish woman who was a general practitioner at that under-served hospital who got married and had kids right when she was turning 40. She seemed to think she had it all in the end.

The Doctor's Diaries Nova Documentary referenced here was an eye-opener for me

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/doctors-diaries.html

The one that stunned me the most was the mechanic turned ER doctor, Tom Tartar.
He had an amazing story from his past as a body builder, bouncer, mechanic, getting into medical school at Harvard in his "late" years (non-trad), having interesting questions for his professors during Medical School, and then....something went terribly wrong for him. Really felt badly for the guy, and he's on his third marriage I believe. He looks like heck, been barred from a State or two having lost his medical license, and now travels outside of the USA to practice. Pretty grim

The females stuck out the most to me, especially the black females. I really look up to these ladies for going against the grain. I had to go to the Nova website to look up their names.

Luanda Grazette spoke about the fear she had her first year that someone from Harvard administration was going to approach her and inform her they make a mistake in selecting her. That's pretty honest. Who hasn't felt that way?

I think it was Cheryl Dorsey who had a van and drove it to blighted areas to care for the poor. Very cool story.

Doctor's Diaries is a reality check for medical students. They should do more documentaries like that and less of the Reality Show crud.
 
Thank you for your heartfelt advice. Your Goldfish Paulie is in my thoughts.

You've been given a tremendous opportunity but don't recognize it yet.

Maybe not next week, next month, but in a few years; ten, twenty, thirty. Picture this scene: You'll be sitting on a park bench feeding the birds, or at a bar sipping a drink, telling the person next to you how you "could have," been an MD, but dropped out.

Your reasons will change, but the constant will remain: a remorse that gnaws at you, and all the what ifs, and what could have beens, will haunt you.

The MD will avail to you doors that you don't even know exist--even without a residency--that it's worth hanging around to check out.
 
The Doctor's Diaries Nova Documentary referenced here was an eye-opener for me

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/doctors-diaries.html

The one that stunned me the most was the mechanic turned ER doctor, Tom Tartar.
He had an amazing story from his past as a body builder, bouncer, mechanic, getting into medical school at Harvard in his "late" years (non-trad), having interesting questions for his professors during Medical School, and then....something went terribly wrong for him. Really felt badly for the guy, and he's on his third marriage I believe. He looks like heck, been barred from a State or two having lost his medical license, and now travels outside of the USA to practice. Pretty grim

The females stuck out the most to me, especially the black females. I really look up to these ladies for going against the grain. I had to go to the Nova website to look up their names.

Luanda Grazette spoke about the fear she had her first year that someone from Harvard administration was going to approach her and inform her they make a mistake in selecting her. That's pretty honest. Who hasn't felt that way?

I think it was Cheryl Dorsey who had a van and drove it to blighted areas to care for the poor. Very cool story.

Doctor's Diaries is a reality check for medical students. They should do more documentaries like that and less of the Reality Show crud.

Honestly what I found most interesting was seeing who was happy and who wasn't, and why.

I frequent hSDN occasionally because I'm a masochist and I hate joy, and kiddos are always saying they want to do nsurg, CT surg etc and that family just isnt as important to them because that'll just kinda happen. On the other hand, if you'll notice in the documentary the people who were happiest with their jobs were the ones who had a reasonable family life. Even the lady who decided to go off and help the poor wished that she'd had someone to come home to so that her work wouldn't be her whole life. The divorces seemed kind of obvious to me, some of the wives frankly struck me as pretty and naive about the whole process. Anyways, for all that premeds/ even we focus completely on the career, it looks like a lot of our satisfaction and happiness will actually derive from our lives outside of work. This may be a "duh" moment, but it was made very clear in the documentary and I found that interesting.
 
I hear a lot of you guys telling him that there are many other ways he can use his MD other than clinical medicine. My question is, if a DO were in his situation, would those other fields of medicine be available to him despite his DO degree?
 
I hear a lot of you guys telling him that there are many other ways he can use his MD other than clinical medicine. My question is, if a DO were in his situation, would those other fields of medicine be available to him despite his DO degree?

+1. Curious about this, too.
 
I hear a lot of you guys telling him that there are many other ways he can use his MD other than clinical medicine. My question is, if a DO were in his situation, would those other fields of medicine be available to him despite his DO degree?

This isn't about other fields in medicine, but my story of a DO unhappy with medical school and doing something different.

I'm just graduated from a DO school and I have to say that there are plenty of opportunities out there if you're creative. Things didn't go the way I planned or hoped to when I started medical school. I graduated with honors at an ivy league institution but due to an average MCAT score I failed to get accepted into an MD school. Took a year off and tutored for an agency that catered to the very rich and was quite happy (I loved teaching).

I applied to both DO and MD schools my second time around and got into a DO school. Well, long story short, I hated my school. I hated the work. I hated studying for Step 1 and Step 2. I hated being on the floors. All in all, I hated the way medical school was taught. The suck it up attitude that so many have was sicking. The "yes, sir, whatever you say sir" or "how high do I jump" mentality made me want to vomit. I found myself wanting to do something more creative.

The hot new thing these days is running a start up. Well, that's what I did. I worked my butt off developing a new app and making key partners. No one cared that I was a DO student as long as what I made and what I talked about was real and exciting. I applied to a start up accelerator program and now am preparing to pitch to 50 top venture capitalists and angel investors for our "d-day" (demo day). The company is valued in the high millions. We are about to get our first round (series A) of venture funding of close to 10 million. All of this without even starting residency. I'm not even sure if I'm going to continue with my training. Everywhere I go I'm proud to tell everybody I'm a DO. I can talk about the mind, body connection and how that relates to my start-up. So there is hope out there. Be creative. Follow what you love!
 
Last edited:
Well I just graduated from school today. Figured I was entitled to changed my status.

So basically you have 200k in debt for no reason? It doesn't seem that your DO degree was any factor in the job you have now. I was asking that if someone with a DO degree could use that degree in fields other than clinical medicine, not in fields that just require an MBA.
 
So basically you have 200k in debt for no reason? It doesn't seem that your DO degree was any factor in the job you have now. I was asking that if someone with a DO degree could use that degree in fields other than clinical medicine, not in fields that just require an MBA.

Actually no, I use what I learned in medical school just about every day in my start-up. By leveraging my understanding of how our nervous system takes in data and processes it, I have been able to get key doctors on board with the project. My team will initially release an app to help elementary school children learn about biology and science. We have a couple of schools on board to test it. We have education and exhibit departments of museums and zoos wanting to use our platform. Ultimately, the longer term goal is to change how we physicians enter data into an EMR system using the system of icons and data entry that the platform uses. I would have never been able to do what I do now had I not gone to medical school.

Have you looked at any of these start up accelerator/incubator programs? One amazing one out of UPenn is Dream it ventures. Y Combinator doesn't even take MBA grads or students into their program as they feel they don't offer any innovation (this is where Dropbox Scribd, reddit and Airbnb started). They are looking for physicians, creators, hackers and designers to change what we have. These will be the ultimate non-clincal jobs of the future and being a DO doesn't hinder me any bit. In my travels, everyone has quite curious and interested in my DO background and how it relates to what I do now and where I ultimately want to go.

BTW, getting about $10 million in series A venture capital funding makes the 200k in debt look like chump change. Will be able to repay back my loans and do something wicked fun and cool along the way. Nothing bets being an entrepreneur.
 
Actually no, I use what I learned in medical school just about every day in my start-up. By leveraging my understanding of how our nervous system takes in data and processes it, I have been able to get key doctors on board with the project. My team will initially release an app to help elementary school children learn about biology and science. We have a couple of schools on board to test it. We have education and exhibit departments of museums and zoos wanting to use our platform. Ultimately, the longer term goal is to change how we physicians enter data into an EMR system using the system of icons and data entry that the platform uses. I would have never been able to do what I do now had I not gone to medical school.

Have you looked at any of these start up accelerator/incubator programs? One amazing one out of UPenn is Dream it ventures. Y Combinator doesn't even take MBA grads or students into their program as they feel they don't offer any innovation (this is where Dropbox Scribd, reddit and Airbnb started). They are looking for physicians, creators, hackers and designers to change what we have. These will be the ultimate non-clincal jobs of the future and being a DO doesn't hinder me any bit. In my travels, everyone has quite curious and interested in my DO background and how it relates to what I do now and where I ultimately want to go.

BTW, getting about $10 million in series A venture capital funding makes the 200k in debt look like chump change. Will be able to repay back my loans and do something wicked fun and cool along the way. Nothing bets being an entrepreneur.

Pretty unique situation though (i.e. not everyone is either an entrepreneur or has the ability/energy to pull off a 10$ mil start up).

Awesome job, congrats.
 
Actually no, I use what I learned in medical school just about every day in my start-up. By leveraging my understanding of how our nervous system takes in data and processes it, I have been able to get key doctors on board with the project. My team will initially release an app to help elementary school children learn about biology and science. We have a couple of schools on board to test it. We have education and exhibit departments of museums and zoos wanting to use our platform. Ultimately, the longer term goal is to change how we physicians enter data into an EMR system using the system of icons and data entry that the platform uses. I would have never been able to do what I do now had I not gone to medical school.

Have you looked at any of these start up accelerator/incubator programs? One amazing one out of UPenn is Dream it ventures. Y Combinator doesn't even take MBA grads or students into their program as they feel they don't offer any innovation (this is where Dropbox Scribd, reddit and Airbnb started). They are looking for physicians, creators, hackers and designers to change what we have. These will be the ultimate non-clincal jobs of the future and being a DO doesn't hinder me any bit. In my travels, everyone has quite curious and interested in my DO background and how it relates to what I do now and where I ultimately want to go.

BTW, getting about $10 million in series A venture capital funding makes the 200k in debt look like chump change. Will be able to repay back my loans and do something wicked fun and cool along the way. Nothing bets being an entrepreneur.

Your story is a unique one. My friend is trying to go through the same path, but graduated from a top 10 MD program. Very intelligent, good looking, charismatic too. Things should work out though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dysthmia

2 Depressive Sx including
  • \/ Concentration
  • Feelings of Hopelessness
  • Appetite
  • Sleep (Insomnia)
  • Energy
  • Self-esteem
lasting for 2 years without an asymptomatic period longer than 2mo.

Get treatment see if it resolves and you begin feeling enthusiastic about things again.


I don't write this to absolve myself of my own shortcomings and poor insight, and I regret taking someone else's seat in med school. I admit that I didn't make an informed decision about my career choice.

But I just want to know what you would do, if you were in my situation.

After 2 years and doing 2 rotations, I realized that medicine and its culture is just not for me. None of the material in the 2 years interested me -- at all. I didn't find the second year material any better than the first. For what it's worth, I had average grades and step the first two years.

The work in the rotations, thus far, has been nauseous: I can't muster any enthusiasm, despite my best efforts. I can't imagine doing this for another 6 years of my life--let alone the rest of my life.

My friends say, "well, dude, only two rotations! you have to wait and see what you like! You don't even know yet! Fourth year will be better"

Well, that's two more years of loans, of "giving it some time." I already foolishly gave it more time, after the first year. I do not want that phrase to become my mantra for the rest of my career. Life's too short.

So I need a "drink and a quick decision."

Prior to med school, I had a low paying entry-level job. To be honest, I enjoyed it a lot, despite the low pay. I am extremely frugral and didn't spend much. I realized that I do not need intellectual stimulation or battles. I am content to be a snail.

In terms of skills and vision for what I would do instead of med school? I have no idea. Like many other med students I talked to, I had a one-track mind after college and decided that med school was "the only thing I could imagine doing" -- well, those people knew themselves better than I did, apparently. I do recognize the harsh job market, that med school is an investment on practical skills, and its not like life will be easier outside of med school.

What would you do? Push on? I just don't know...
 
Interesting

- OP posted in July 2012. how is OP doing now? that would be amazing to know

- countthestars guy/gal- congrats! i have a feeling your story is exactly what i imagine the OP was looking for- someone who left it all behind for something more. one thing tho: you mention an undergrad degree from an ivy league school- did that help people trust you?

- trogghunter- your friend sounds awesome - intelligent, good looking, and charismatic? the dynamics of this one intrigues me- are you a guy/girl talking about a guy/girl? it's either a bromance, a secret crush (both?)

- the fact this topic seems to resonate with so many - and the last post outlining depression - is fascinating. how many med students meet the symptoms of clinical depression? what about depression vs a major depressive episode (MDE)?
-- is it a depressed person in med school? or is medical training making the person depressed?
(interesting article - Overtime Work as a Predictor of Major Depressive Episode: A 5-Year Follow-Up of the Whitehall II Study
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0030719
Marianna Virtanen,
Stephen A. Stansfeld,
Rebecca Fuhrer,
Jane E. Ferrie,
Mika Kivimäki)
 
Last edited:
Well I just graduated from school today. Figured I was entitled to changed my status.

When someone congratulates you, the proper reply is a simple thank you.

So far you've extolled the virtues of yourself, all the money you'll be making, how proud of your degree you are. Wonderful things. However, in the absence of humility, no matter what you do, you're social graces will remain a reminder that manners DO make a difference.
 
When someone congratulates you, the proper reply is a simple thank you.

So far you've extolled the virtues of yourself, all the money you'll be making, how proud of your degree you are. Wonderful things. However, in the absence of humility, no matter what you do, you're social graces will remain a reminder that manners DO make a difference.

I think you're misinterpreting his posts - countthestars has provided all the info that people were curious about regarding his unique situation. I don't see his posts as bragging... simply sharing his story :shrug:

To get to this level, I'd bet his "social graces" are pretty damn good...

Edit: I see your post congratulating him. I think you're reading a bit much into a lack of a reply on an internet forum.
 
No one believes a medical students that they dropped out because they didn't like it... 99.9% will believe you failed your exams even if you didn't take them or did take them and passed them.. I'm sorry but that's the cruel thing people have in their head.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.