Advice for a prospective MPH student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronerd028

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some general advice here. I am interested in pursing a MPH and after months of research I believe I would be most interested in a social and behavioral sciences program (like those offered at Yale, Harvard, Columbia). I want to know what I should be doing in the meantime to make myself a competitive candidate as I would like to attend a top program. Just to give you a better idea i graduated from a top-tier liberal arts school with a 3.5 GPA. My major was neuroscience and i completed a pre-med track. I have done multiple research internships (one at the NIH) however they were all in cancer biology. I currently work as a clinical research coordinator, working on over 40 studies at a respected research hospital. i also volunteer on a LGBTQ helpline weekly.

My question is: what sorts of things should I be doing to increase my chances and is my current job in clinical research enough to prove my devotion to public health?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're already a competitive candidate for all those schools based on GPA/experience. Getting a strong GRE score will seal the deal. You could explain why you are moving from cancer bio research to social/behavioral sciences in your SOP but really so long as you articulate that your academic and research experiences has prepared you for an MPH well, you'll be fine.