Advice for a prospective MPH student

Started by Neuronerd028
Tags Tags
mph
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Neuronerd028

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some general advice here. I am interested in pursing a MPH and after months of research I believe I would be most interested in a social and behavioral sciences program (like those offered at Yale, Harvard, Columbia). I want to know what I should be doing in the meantime to make myself a competitive candidate as I would like to attend a top program. Just to give you a better idea i graduated from a top-tier liberal arts school with a 3.5 GPA. My major was neuroscience and i completed a pre-med track. I have done multiple research internships (one at the NIH) however they were all in cancer biology. I currently work as a clinical research coordinator, working on over 40 studies at a respected research hospital. i also volunteer on a LGBTQ helpline weekly.

My question is: what sorts of things should I be doing to increase my chances and is my current job in clinical research enough to prove my devotion to public health?
 
I think you're already a competitive candidate for all those schools based on GPA/experience. Getting a strong GRE score will seal the deal. You could explain why you are moving from cancer bio research to social/behavioral sciences in your SOP but really so long as you articulate that your academic and research experiences has prepared you for an MPH well, you'll be fine.