Advice for a rising D1 for specializing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted961052

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d use the search bar because this question is asked a million times every day

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are things you can control and things you can't control. Stressing about things like "private practice being more difficult" and "specializing" isn't going to help over the course of the summer. I'm going to give some life advice: Self Discipline

What you should do is be mentally and physically healthy to do your best in school and go with the flow. It's called self-discipline.

Wake up at 7 am, run workout, 8 am go to part time job, 5 clock get off, 6 pm cook a healthy dinner, and 8 clock sleep. Why is this important? The people with the BEST discipline in controlling themselves just always do better in life whether it's getting high grades in school to specialize, or having a successful business. Ask yourself, are you one of those people?

Reactions: 12 users
Rainee, spot on, although 8pm is too early for me.

Haha. I start every weekday at 4 AM. 4 AM morning meal, 4:30-6:00 Gym, 6-7 Ready self for work, 7-5 Work, 5-6 Dinner with Family, 6-8 Free time with Family.

Weekends are sorta similar but always out and about.

The point of the post is you gotta ask yourself: are you the guy sleeping in til 11 AM playing world of warcraft all day...or are you self motivated and self disciplined enough to keep to a schedule/routine and maintain it. The guy that is self motivated and self disciplined enough to stick to a routine will probably do better in the long run... and YES I was the associate AND the student waking up at 11 AM on weekdays/weekends playing WOW all day when I was younger and when I was associating. I changed because I dunno i grew out of that lifestyle and honestly you can't do that as a business owner. I am excited for Vanilla WOW release. I will probably just watch it on Twitch at work all day. I don't think I will have time to actually play.

Reactions: 3 users
OP. Give it some time. You're not even in DS yet. I started DS wanting to be an exceptional general dentist. Became somewhat disillusioned around D2 and decided ortho was the best path for me. No regrets whatsoever. You're just going to have to keep your grades up to give you the choices down the road.

It's been said many times. Choose the profession you can be happy with for the next 30-40 years. Each of the specialities are very different and each specialty as been affected by technology and the changing times (ortho mostly). You also have to figure in the referral game with each of the specialities. Some rely heavily on referrals (endo, perio, OMFS) and others rely less on referrals (pedo) and ortho is somewhere in the middle. I say this because if you are reliant on referrals ... you'll need to be good at building professional relationships with GPs. This used to be collegial and for the patient's benefit, but like I said earlier .... times have changed.

Look at your patient demographics. Pedo ..... young kids. Ortho ..... mostly teens, young adults. Perio/pros ..... older. OMFS .... all ages.

Look at the nature of the work. Ortho .... repetitive, high numbers of patients in a given day. Endo .... less patients, less repetitive.

Lots of variables. Get good grades. Explore your options.

I relate 100% to your schedule, But I don't get up till 5AM. The ready self for work hour is IMHO vital, as I cannot imagine walking into my office and just sitting behind the chair. I need to review what is planned for the day with the staff, and make any adjustments that happen to pop up. I too get up early on the weekends, as I would feel like I lost part of the day if I slept in till 11.
Having grown up in HS, college, and DS as a musician playing gigs till late at night/early morning, this has been a complete about face for me, but I agree with you that without the discipline and routine it brings, it is almost impossible to run a business. On rare occasions when I have some time off, I will sit in at a second set with some musician friends and get up late the next day (9AM). I pay for that luxury of being thrown off schedule for about 2 days.

Reactions: 1 user