Advice for a young whippersnapper?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyesAreAwesome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am looking for some advice in terms of what I should do coming out of high school. Young, premature, whatever - I know... but please understand that, albeit very far ahead in the future, ophthalmology is something I'm already very passionate about.
For the past few years, I have been dissecting eyes, practicing suture techniques in my spare time, and binge watching cataract removals on YouTube. Fun stuff! So I really can't imagine doing anything besides becoming an MD/Ophthalmologist.
The minor setback is that I am 15 years of age. I will graduate high school at age 17 (one year early) with a 4.0 GPA and standard diploma. I hope to attend a state University (Oregon) completing a general sciences undergraduate. Then, go on to med school, residency, yadda yadda. If you couldn't tell already, I am very eager to begin a career in the medical field and it would really be a shame if I didn't do everything possible to accomplish that.

My question is, is there anything not in my "plan" that I should do instead? Perhaps I should opt for a different undergraduate degree? Do you regret (not) doing something pre-med school? Is there any general advice out there for someone like me? Anything???

Thanks a bunch!
Dani

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy your life. There will be plenty of time to study medicine and ophthalmology when you are actually in medical school. You have a long road to go and as you go through it you might realize medicine is not what you actually want to do. There is nothing you need to worry about now, just get good grades and keep an open mind.

I "chose" ophthalmology because eyes are absolutely fascinating. I like the demographic of patients I will likely work with and I think it is very empowering to have the ability to change a person's life by giving them their sight. Plus, I figured, the field has a low mortality rate.

Thanks for your responses! I will definitely keep the advice in mind : )

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user