Advice for creating a DO school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spamrad

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm currently applying to medical school. I've applied to several MD schools but would like to apply to a few DO schools as a back-up. However, I'm lost figuring out where to apply. Is there any good source like the MSAR but for DO? Where can I figure out which schools would give me the best chances of matching into an allopathic residency? Are some DO schools better than others? My advisor says no--and that I should choose solely on geographic location--but I'm hesitant to believe that advice.
For reference:
-I *think* I want to go into family medicine or pediatrics, but would really like the option to change my mind in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think the general consensus is that DO schools are not "better" than each other, but most people agree that you should try to attend schools that are more established (have been around longer) compared to those that are newer. Some schools have mandatory attendance, dress codes, etc so you might want to consider that as well. You can look at specific match lists that schools post to see which have placement into programs/specialties that interest you.

I am not aware of any DO MSAR type of tool, but you shouldn't have any problems stats-wise for any DO school

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are good for any DO school. Choose them based on mission, location, cost, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
I'm currently applying to medical school. I've applied to several MD schools but would like to apply to a few DO schools as a back-up. However, I'm lost figuring out where to apply. Is there any good source like the MSAR but for DO? Where can I figure out which schools would give me the best chances of matching into an allopathic residency? Are some DO schools better than others? My advisor says no--and that I should choose solely on geographic location--but I'm hesitant to believe that advice.
For reference:
-I *think* I want to go into family medicine or pediatrics, but would really like the option to change my mind in medical school.
-My scores: MCAT 510, GPA 3.66 overall (3.5 BCPM).
-I have almost 2 years of clinical experience and LOTS of volunteer hours.
You're fine for any DO school, and there are bad DO schools. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

I have a high opinion of:
NYITCOM
UNECOM (esp. if you're in the NE)
PCOM
VCOM
MUCOM
CCOM
KCOM
DMU
KCU
AZCOM
Touro-CA
Western

I'd look for schools with well established rotation sites and solid board scores. I ultimately went MD but was accepted to a few DO, of which I'd say Kcu, Pcom, and azcom fit your list pretty well. All urban(ish), all have OK rotations (pcom shares sites with several Philly MD so I'd prob say they have an edge here), all have good board scores (kcu and azcom really stressed to me how they help prep for usmle, which will be imperative for matching allo residency).

I've also heard similar things about DMU, CCOM, rowan, and western, but those three above are the only ones I can speak to personally. If you're a Michigan, Texas, Ohio, or Oklahoma resident, definitely apply to their state DO schools. Good luck OP.

Hello!
For reference:
-My scores: MCAT 510, GPA 3.66 overall (3.5 BCPM).
-I have almost 2 years of clinical experience and LOTS of volunteer hours.
If you don't get in this cycle you should *REALLY* reapply MD with your stats.

If you don't get in this cycle you should *REALLY* reapply MD with your stats.
I'm two years out of undergrad, and honestly just feel ready to go to medical school asap rather than applying again. This app process is grueling, I don't want to do it twice.

But I think with my stats I may finish up all my MD secondaries before starting on DO. Thoughts?

I'm two years out of undergrad, and honestly just feel ready to go to medical school asap rather than applying again. This app process is grueling, I don't want to do it twice.

But I think with my stats I may finish up all my MD secondaries before starting on DO. Thoughts?

I'd absolutely do all MD secondaries, applying DO concurrently doesn't hurt. If you're really interested/open to DO apply ASAP so you can at least secure a seat early on to reduce the stress, which can be worth a lot to know that at the end of the day you're going to be a doc.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd look for schools with well established rotation sites and solid board scores. I ultimately went MD but was accepted to a few DO, of which I'd say Kcu, Pcom, and azcom fit your list pretty well. All urban(ish), all have OK rotations (pcom shares sites with several Philly MD so I'd prob say they have an edge here), all have good board scores (kcu and azcom really stressed to me how they help prep for usmle, which will be imperative for matching allo residency).

I've also heard similar things about DMU, CCOM, rowan, and western, but those three above are the only ones I can speak to personally. If you're a Michigan, Texas, Ohio, or Oklahoma resident, definitely apply to their state DO schools. Good luck OP.
This is really helpful. Thank you so much! Best of luck in medical school. :)

This is really helpful. Thank you so much! Best of luck in medical school. :)
Thanks! And to answer your other question, yes, finish the MD secondaries first. You're not even close to late for DO. It's getting close for MD. General rule of thumb is MD secondaries should be done by labor day or so.