Advice for current cycle/next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalstudent132

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I applied to 11 schools this cycle and was declined by 9 with no interview, and I have yet to hear back from the other 2.
I have a 3.34 oGPA and a 3.06 sGPA, my first attempt on the DAT I scored a 19 AA 18 TS with a 16 on orgo. Retook the DAT with a 21 AA 21 TS 16 PAT in January. I have over 500 hours working at a dental office, 400 total hours shadowing dentists/orthdontists. My EC's are relatively weak and I have no volunteering hours.
I've begun volunteering now and preparing for the next cycle, I was curious if there was any universities you guys think I'd have a good shot of getting into, as well as anything I can do to up my chances of getting in. Another comment is that I had a 3.6 oGPA at a CC while in HS, and a 3.6 oGPA avg for the last 3 years, my only bad year was freshman year. Also, is it worth it to try and apply anywhere that still has open applications until 2-1-17 right now?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't submit a last-ditch application. It will likely be a waste (IMO).

Keep doing what you're doing. If you have to reapply, there is a section where you can discuss what you've done to improve your application. Contact the two schools you're waiting on and let them know you're waiting and you're interested.

Good luck! I hope it works out!

Do you think it is necessary to enter in a Masters program? I was looking into doing 1 year of that in order to boost my GPA as advised by a certain dental school, but am unsure how wise of a decision this may be as opposed to other options

edit: Also, in regards to applying next cycle, will I have to fill in everything again on AADSAS or will it remain there and I can adjust as necessary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do a master's program to boost your gpa. In terms of volunteering, make sure you do some dental related and non dental related experiences. Such as NYU's oral cancer walk, Columbia's give kids a smile, or even volunteering at the Greater New York Dental Meeting. I'm from New York City, and I have only applied to New York Dental schools....:soexcited:

That 16 PAT is tough, in my opinion I would want you to retake just to get an 18 on it. Some schools want to seem some level in the performance it seems. The question I am left with all the scores is that "How can this applicant be so good at the other stuff, but not take time or not able to do average on PAT" Now there may be tons of valid reasons for a lower PAT, but that may be a question the Adcom may ask or consider.

I know I would personally want to look into that if I was reviewing that score. My app, I got an 18 QR maybe adcoms asked if I sucked at math (i don't), but face value they could consider it.

I would look into Psychology courses that count as bio courses to increase you BCP and sGPA, there are "easy" classes out there to help. There are other science courses that are considered easier and are either both BCP and sGPA helping or just sGPA.

I can tell you the amount of extras are not that big unless you commit to a few things. I think that side of your app is great!

Overall, boost gpa and maybe retake for a higher PAT.
DM, if you want more advice.

Thanks for the advice all, I got at 17 on my PAT on the 1st DAT if thats any better .... :D Also, I've taken something like 8 psychology courses, I don't believe any of the psychs counted towards my sGPA. I asked about the PAT's with one specific dental school and they told me they would entirely overlook that based on my other scores for the test, I also do not want to study for that test again.

Thanks for the advice all, I got at 17 on my PAT on the 1st DAT if thats any better .... :D Also, I've taken something like 8 psychology courses, I don't believe any of the psychs counted towards my sGPA. I asked about the PAT's with one specific dental school and they told me they would entirely overlook that based on my other scores for the test, I also do not want to study for that test again.

When did you apply in the cycle. This may have some impact.

Make sure your personal statement is on point and clearly identifies what you improved on from previous cycle.

Here are the MAJOR KEYS to a great personal statement

An Introduction (1st paragraph)
The first paragraph of your personal statement should be about how you realized that dentistry was your passion. Describe any particular reasons or specific life event that triggered your passion for dentistry and helped you pick this course. Customize your personal statement exclusively for dentistry and give reasons why certain aspects of your life may have contributed to your decision to apply for dentistry. Financial incentives are rarely accepted as a motive so it is best to leave your monetary expectations out of your statement.

Relevant Work Experience (2nd paragraph)
Describe your work experience, volunteer program or a dental shadowing. It is extremely important to relate what you saw and what you learnt to your understanding of a career in dentistry and also convey how that experience reinforced your desire to become a dentist. This is the major key right here

Extra Curricular Activities (3rd paragraph)
Your 3rd paragraph should be about you outside of your academic scores. This could be anything from drama, sports or performing arts to traveling, playing a musical instrument, volunteer work or awards. You can talk about virtually anything as long as you link it up to how it can contribute to making you a good dentist. A long list of interests and achievements with no link to dentistry will be unlikely to impress the reader enough to want to grant you an interview. A successful personal statement will link interests and achievements to valuable transferable skills for example team leadership, decision-making, patience, communication skills or manual dexterity.

Compelling Conclusion (4rth paragraph)
In this final section, summarize your qualities and reiterate your core reason for wanting to be a dentist and how you would be a valuable student to their school.

Three important points to remember before submitting your personal statement:

1) Do not lie about your achievements or your skills.

2) Do not be arrogant or smug.

3) Get your personal statement edited before submitting it.

I suggest doing post-bach and not a masters seeing as how you have a 3.3ogpa and not a 3.0 or below. Take Sciences courses and get straight A's so you can boost that science gpa up a bit.

I say stick with your DAT since a 21AA is good (and explain why you got a 16 on PAT in your supplemental apps) bc what if you end up with a lower score than a 21AA the third try? that would def look bad to dental schools. Another reason why you probably did not get as many interviews is bc of lack of volunteer hours---which it is great that you are getting a head start now for next cycle (aim for 400+).

Lastly, it also really depends on the schools you applied to. With your stats, you could probably get into a private school. Next cycle definitely include UDM, NYU, USC, Tufts..esp since they have larger class sizes (over 120+) and tuition is pricier than most schools so they tend to accept a lot more ppl than they have seats for since students they accept end up declining if they get into a cheaper institution. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ok, so I just got invited to interview at NYU, not entirely sure if I want to even attend the interview according to what I have heard about that uni. I am curious to hear peoples opinions on it. "Rumors" I have heard describe that school as accepting 360 kids and failing half the class in the 1st year burdening them with $100K debt and no chance to ever get into another dental school, as well as the labs being absolute garbage in respect to tidiness and age of equipment

Ok, so I just got invited to interview at NYU, not entirely sure if I want to even attend the interview according to what I have heard about that uni. I am curious to hear peoples opinions on it. "Rumors" I have heard describe that school as accepting 360 kids and failing half the class in the 1st year burdening them with $100K debt and no chance to ever get into another dental school, as well as the labs being absolute garbage in respect to tidiness and age of equipment
In my honest and biased opinion, NYU is a "factory" school that is only churning out as many general dentists they can educate. Let's face it, NYU is overcharging their students to make a pretty penny for the brand/name. Most patients won't ask where did you go for dental school. They will continue visiting your office if you have a great personality and if you have the skills. The clinical experience is sub-par compared to many other dental schools nearby.

After hearing my thoughts, you shouldn't be hesitant towards taking the NYU interview. Take this opportunity and decide whether to go or not after you are accepted.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

Make sure your personal statement is on point and clearly identifies what you improved on from previous cycle.

Here are the MAJOR KEYS to a great personal statement

An Introduction (1st paragraph)
The first paragraph of your personal statement should be about how you realized that dentistry was your passion. Describe any particular reasons or specific life event that triggered your passion for dentistry and helped you pick this course. Customize your personal statement exclusively for dentistry and give reasons why certain aspects of your life may have contributed to your decision to apply for dentistry. Financial incentives are rarely accepted as a motive so it is best to leave your monetary expectations out of your statement.

Relevant Work Experience (2nd paragraph)
Describe your work experience, volunteer program or a dental shadowing. It is extremely important to relate what you saw and what you learnt to your understanding of a career in dentistry and also convey how that experience reinforced your desire to become a dentist. This is the major key right here

Extra Curricular Activities (3rd paragraph)
Your 3rd paragraph should be about you outside of your academic scores. This could be anything from drama, sports or performing arts to traveling, playing a musical instrument, volunteer work or awards. You can talk about virtually anything as long as you link it up to how it can contribute to making you a good dentist. A long list of interests and achievements with no link to dentistry will be unlikely to impress the reader enough to want to grant you an interview. A successful personal statement will link interests and achievements to valuable transferable skills for example team leadership, decision-making, patience, communication skills or manual dexterity.

Compelling Conclusion (4rth paragraph)
In this final section, summarize your qualities and reiterate your core reason for wanting to be a dentist and how you would be a valuable student to their school.

Three important points to remember before submitting your personal statement:

1) Do not lie about your achievements or your skills.

2) Do not be arrogant or smug.

3) Get your personal statement edited before submitting it.

I disagree with this somewhat. It's too structured and too "in your face." I personally think the personal statement shouldn't be basically be a goal and a list of achievements you have to reach that goal. That's going to result in a boring personal statement that is basically dumping half your AADSAS application onto the PS.

I'm of the personal opinion that your PS should tell a story, and that any achievements/extracurriculars you have that are already in your AADSAS app should only be mentioned in order to give context to the story you're telling. For example something like "I shadowed with Dr. blablabla in my first summer after college and encountered an experience that completely changed the way I saw dentistry: he was doing a procedure on... etc." It's just more authentic and natural to read that way.

You want to sell yourself, but in a subtle way. Rather than saying "I gained teamwork skills by working on the exec board of a college organization," tell a short anecdote that shows off a variety of skills that could include teamwork. You'll stand out.

That's just my opinion on the subject haha

Reactions: 1 users