Advice for deciding on SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to have been accepted to the Tufts MBS, Loyola MAMS, and BU MAMS programs. I'm also on waitlist for Gtown and Tulane ACP. Looking for some advice and help for straightening my thoughts out. Money is not a terrible issue and I'm a CA resident. While going to a UC would be great, I don't really care where I end up.

1) Loyola MAMS
Pros:
-- Tiny class size (55), very tight knit and individually supported
-- Great published numbers (>90% somewhere)
-- Guaranteed interview at Loyola (although caveated with lower acceptance rate from what I've read)
-- Realistically, many midwestern med schools generally seem easier to get into than those of the northeast.
-- Geographically closer to CA so possibly gives me a good path home? (pipedream)
Cons
-- Alumni med school list not quite as impressive as that of Tufts or BU
-- My personal med school preferences (assuming I do very well in one of these) goes BU > Tufts > Loyola (although overall not a major concern, I'd be overly happy with any of them)

2) Tufts MBS
Pros:
-- 'True' SMP that actually lets me take med school classes with med students
-- Something to do during the glide year (MBS vs. MPH) and I'm planning to apply after a full year of grades
-- Lenient grading/low competitiveness due to lack of curve from what I've read around here?
Cons:
-- Huge classes, block scheduled
-- Somewhat sketchy on the published numbers, not sure what to believe
-- Individual advising can be hit or miss

3) BU MAMS
Pros:
-- True SMP
-- Also with an impressive acceptances list on the level of that of Tufts and with good acceptance numbers
-- Ends with a thesis (although my app is already research heavy so not entirely sure how important this is)
Cons
-- No linkage, seems to be more about getting into med school in general
-- Classes are even bigger than those of Tufts
-- Difficult to complete in 1 year (although this is neutral as I will be taking 1 gap year + 1 glide year at min)

------------

If anyone has any other thoughts that could help me decide, please post! It seems all three are highly respected programs thus I'm having a pretty difficult time deciding, so anything that you can chime in will help! I do rank Tulane and Gtown above the three so if those waitlists do materialize, I will plan to go there.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What did you end up doing? Also a CA resident looking at SMPs

I was in the same position as you (got accepted to all of those except I didn't apply to Tulane ACP) and I ultimately chose Loyola. I have received 4 II so far including one at BU early in the cycle.