This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubbub

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a recent hire medical scribe completing classroom training and very excited to start on-site training in the ED of a small hospital (not the busiest ED). A little bit of background, I'm a premed student and I also have type one diabetes, so I wear an insulin pump and CGM (continuous glucose monitor). I'm planning to hook my pump on the waistband of my scrubs. I work very hard to keep my glucose in tight control so that it doesn't disrupt things, and that will be especially important as I start work as a scribe, but I cannot always control what happens - my pump may light up/vibrate with an alarm that I need to clear (just the click of a button) or I may have a low and need to treat it with glucose tabs that I keep on me (rare occurrence and I hope it never happens on the job, but still something that could happen). While I do not plan to ever let this affect my work, I do feel that I need to let those that I will be working with know, just in case.

My question is, how do I go about doing this especially in cases when I am not always working with the same physician, or we have a rushed introduction? Or - is it necessary for me to tell them? I am a little worried that my pump will be mistaken for a cell phone (it is a touch screen insulin pump, alas), as is always the case in academic settings, and I don't want anyone to think that I am not paying attention. Very very rarely, the infusion site of my pump could also get torn out (the cannula that is usually in my abdomen or lower back) and I would need to immediately use my back-up supplies and change it (a process that takes about 15 minutes). This worries me a bit because I know that as a scribe I need to be everywhere that the doctor I am working with is -- I don't want my medical issue to ever get in the way of that, and if it were to, I don't like how that would reflect back on me, even though it is technically "not my fault."

Bonus points to anyone who can answer who works in an ED with T1D, but any and all advice appreciated! I know this is something I need to face now if I am going to become a doctor, so I am excited to learn.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently a scribe! Let me preface this by saying that I am told the physicians at the sites I work at are supposedly quite friendly compared to who you could be working with.

Even if you have a rushed introduction with a physician (be it PA or DO/MD), there will eventually be a lull when docs are finished putting in orders and you are starting up with charts to speak with them. In fact, you really have to speak with them quite often for the relevant exam/x-ray readings, etc. So there will definitely be time to explain your situation (especially in a smaller ED).

Second note: People you will be working with see all types of medical devices every time they work. Even if someone initially mistakes your pump control as a cell phone, they will catch on pretty quick.

Overall, do not worry about it-you may even gain some extra respect for handling your situation so professionally

Don't even worry about it. You can have your pump out and do whatever you need to do. I work as an ED scribe right now and I imagine if I had a CGM and pump on I would not be a nuisance to the doctors and they would not care either. Remember they deal with this type of stuff all the time and I doubt they would even think twice about it. You don't need to overthink it!

If they're doctors, and they get mad for being you on pumps and all, idk what to say... JK. Doctors will love you and understand your condition especially if you're doing your job well.