Advice for getting accepted to an MSW without much experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

An Idealist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm majoring in Classical studies and anthropology, but I'm interested in social work with a clinical focus, particularly in medical social work and working with the disabled and elderly. I've only recently started thinking about social work as a career, but I do have informal experience with the environment; a close family member had a chronic illness and spent the last three or so years in a nursing home. Of course, I understand that this is not enough for me to get into a good MSW (I was hoping for NYU or Fordham since I live in NYC and would like to remain in the area). So I thought a public policy minor might help - I was told it certainly wouldn't hurt - but I feel that it would be more beneficial to someone interested in macro social work.

So lately, I've been thinking about dropping the minor, which would give me some extra time to maybe do some volunteer work. In my opinion, volunteer experience would look better than a public policy minor, but I don't want to make any rash decisions, only to regret them later. Ideally, I'd like to both volunteer and do the public policy minor, but I commute back and forth to school (which is about 2 hours one-way) and I have a part-time job (which is unfortunately unrelated to social work, but it pays the bills), so on top of my coursework, I don't have the time to do both this semester.

I have a good GPA (4.0), but for an MSW, I don't think that would matter much. I plan on graduating in Spring 2014, so I'd be applying for Fall 2014. Unfortunately, that doesn't give me much time to get more experience in the field :( Still, I plan to do some volunteer work this summer, and am trying to find job opportunities in the field (though this is difficult due to my lack of experience).

Would a public policy minor offer any significant benefit to either my skill set or application? Is it worth it? Or should I just drop it, and use the time to volunteer instead? Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you want to work in social work at the macro level, a public policy minor won't matter much. All it will do is maybe help prepare you for some of the policy classes in an MSW program. Since you are applying to some of the more well known schools of social work, it would probably be best to drop the minor and start volunteering. Since your interests like in medical social work and working with the disabled and elderly, you may want to call up the volunteer departments at your local hospitals. Usually they are for positions in customer service at the front desk, so you may want to contact the social work departments if its a possibility (doubt it though). You can also try volunteering at community agencies, they always need the extra help and if you show initiative, they may give you tasks where you can acquire some valuable skills before application. Having said that, make sure you let your practicum placement coordinator know exactly what you are looking for in a medical social work setting. See if you can get in a psych ward or try and go to a hospital that has a established system for social workers, where they are split on different floors and given special tasks to work in different departments. Make sure not to get pushed into a general medical social work practicum, where all you do is discharge asap. I have learned far more at an established community health center for lower income individuals/families than at a well known private medical center doing the above.

Unless you are offered the favorable settings mentioned above, I would ask about practicum settings for the disabled and elderly. It is a growing area and I believe it will provide quite some employment in the future for social workers. I would type more, but I gotta run. If you have any questions, pm me, hope I was able to answer some of your questions.

Slugathor is right -- volunteer work will better show your interest in social work than a public policy minor. Plenty of agencies in NYC also offer internships to college students, mostly because they tend to be short-staffed. YAI-NIPD serves the developmentally disabled and has a large internship and summer employment program.

Any other questions about NYC-area social work? I'm finishing up my M.S.W. at Hunter this May and can probably answer whatever you throw at me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both so much for your advice! Slugathor, I will definitely keep what you said in mind about practical work.

I did drop the public policy class, so I am really excited that I now have time to do a little volunteer work! I have been looking for opps and I was thinking of volunteering at a suicide hotline. It's not directly related to the area I'd like to work in, but I think it would be a really good experience. I'm also looking into some volunteer work at hospitals for the summer. I found a few options, and have to force myself to sit down for awhile and just get all my inquiry emails out.

I am really nervous though, because I'm applying for fall 2014, but my application will really only reflect like 6 months or so of volunteer work, depending on the date that I submit my application. Will this severely affect chances of acceptance? I'd really like to stay in NYC, which is why I'm applying to NYU and Fordham (in addition to the fact that these are great clinical programs, of course).

I am also considering Hunter for my MSW. I actually am going there for my undergrad degree, and I talked to an advisor at the career development service office, and he said that typically people accepted to Hunter's program have several years of social service/case management experience. Querk, I saw you mentioned that you are at Hunter. What is the student population like? Just wondering if what the advisor said is true, or if there are people there who started right out of undergrad.

I am also considering Hunter for my MSW. I actually am going there for my undergrad degree, and I talked to an advisor at the career development service office, and he said that typically people accepted to Hunter's program have several years of social service/case management experience. Querk, I saw you mentioned that you are at Hunter. What is the student population like? Just wondering if what the advisor said is true, or if there are people there who started right out of undergrad.

I graduated with my B.A. in January 2011, applied in October with around nine months of post-bachelor's work experience in human services, and started at Hunter the following January. I know several people who were accepted directly from undergrad. Usually, those entering just out of college have some related coursework and/or volunteer work, and those who have less experience tend to have better undergrad records. I also have several classmates who are older career-changers from different fields. So, yes, you probably have a decent chance. Part of the reason that Hunter has a lot of experienced caseworkers is our part-time program for people who are already employed in a social work setting.

BTW, are you looking at the two-year or accelerated program? The latter is more selective (between 1/5 and 1/6, I was told in my interview), and I believe that if you don't get into one, you can apply to the other later in the year.

Not to plug Hunter too much, but the cost-to-reputation ratio is great. NYU and Fordham are quite expensive. Just sayin'. :)

I graduated with my B.A. in January 2011, applied in October with around nine months of post-bachelor's work experience in human services, and started at Hunter the following January. I know several people who were accepted directly from undergrad. Usually, those entering just out of college have some related coursework and/or volunteer work, and those who have less experience tend to have better undergrad records. I also have several classmates who are older career-changers from different fields. So, yes, you probably have a decent chance. Part of the reason that Hunter has a lot of experienced caseworkers is our part-time program for people who are already employed in a social work setting.

BTW, are you looking at the two-year or accelerated program? The latter is more selective (between 1/5 and 1/6, I was told in my interview), and I believe that if you don't get into one, you can apply to the other later in the year.

I'm looking at the two year program since I don't really have any experience and am way underqualified for the accelerated program. Hopefully that helps my chances of acceptance!

Not to plug Hunter too much, but the cost-to-reputation ratio is great. NYU and Fordham are quite expensive. Just sayin'. :)
Hey, I don't blame you. Why do you think I'm going to Hunter for undergrad? :D I mean, yeah, there's always something broken in the classrooms. And there are never enough seats. Half the time the classrooms aren't even big enough to accommodate the class. But the professors are (usually) good, if not absolutely amazing. And no debt! :D

So I was pretty happy when I heard that Hunter has a good MSW program since tuition is so cheap. The program is good, right? lol. I only actually heard this from Hunter's career development services counselor, and I kind of thought he'd be a little biased, working for the school and all. Did Hunter provide you with good field work placements? Were you prepared beforehand? Is it normal to feel unprepared? I was reading some other posts on this forum and noticed that one poster said s/he felt completely unprepared and unqualified to begin field work in working with the developmentally disabled, and others responded, saying they felt the same way when they were beginning field work. So maybe that's just a general MSW-thing :confused:

I mean, yeah, there's always something broken in the classrooms. And there are never enough seats. Half the time the classrooms aren't even big enough to accommodate the class. But the professors are (usually) good, if not absolutely amazing. And no debt! :D

The social work building is very new. We have colorful minimalist furniture and a cafe with delicious cheese plates. Come up to Harlem sometime and bask in the possibilities.

Did Hunter provide you with good field work placements?

I don't think there's much of a difference between placement settings between NYC social work programs. Hunter shares many (most?) sites with Columbia/Fordham/NYU students.

Were you prepared beforehand? Is it normal to feel unprepared? I was reading some other posts on this forum and noticed that one poster said s/he felt completely unprepared and unqualified to begin field work in working with the developmentally disabled, and others responded, saying they felt the same way when they were beginning field work. So maybe that's just a general MSW-thing :confused:

Yep. I have a sneaking suspicion that they do it so you can get used to the kind of uncertainty and rapid change that characterizes agency work. It's the same with any M.S.W. placement. I have no comment on the wisdom of throwing inexperienced interns in with vulnerable populations, but you'll at least get a lot of supervision.

Qwerk, I don't know you and I adore you. Just because of phrases like the below :)

The social work building is very new. We have colorful minimalist furniture and a cafe with delicious cheese plates. Come up to Harlem sometime and bask in the possibilities.

Qwerk, I don't know you and I adore you. Just because of phrases like the below :)

Qwerk said:

Agreed. I admit a silent chuckle when reading that response. :thumbup: