Advice for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmehta211

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an interview coming up at UCONN Medical school. I know my application has one weak point, my gpa, but all other items are great (solid mcat, clincal and research experience, letters of rec., extra curric., volunteer work, etc.). How can i highlight my strong points and show that i will make a good physician without hiding my weak grades? the school knows me well, since i have done several summer programs with them, thus i feel if i have a good interview, i will have a good chance of getting in. thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, if it isn't mentioned, do not bring it up yourself -- even at the end when they ask, "Is there anything else you want to tell me?" Instead, use the opportunity to update them on what you have been doing since you applied. For instance, if you have had more grades come in since the application (and they are good ones), let them know. No need to make a verbal list, just type an update letter and hand it to the interviewer. Let them know about any new leadership position, awards, accomplishments. Also, let them know what it is you like about the school (if they haven't already asked).

The fact you are being interviewed is an indication that they think you are academically qualified. If they mention grades at all and directly challenge you to defend yours, then do not admit you have a low gpa, just say that you managed to maintain highly respectable grades while working, volunteering, etc. Get the picture? Everything you say about yourself during the interview is meant to sell you... do not cut your own throat.

Good luck to you.

Hi ana,

Thanks for your response. Since the time of my application submission, i have been busy with a postbac program. Unfortunately, I became ill at finals, and my final grades didn't reflect my hard work during the semester, but i received glowing recommendations from the professors to compensate. i guess we all have a twist of bad luck every now and then.

any advice for questions concerning interests in fields of practice? i know this particular school trains mainly primary care physicians, however, i cannot honestly make that decision or inclination now. should i just tell them what they want to hear?

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing to do is to be sincere. ARE you interested in primary care? If you were, then tell you should them so and be enthusiastic.

Frankly, I wouldn't try to bluff if I were you. I have interviewed lots of student applicants, and I can smell insincerity a mile a way.

If you don't know, then say so. However, it is perfectly fair game for you to speculate based on your interests. Do you have any experience working with children that you enjoyed? Then mention it and say ".. maybe peds?.." Do you have interest in prevention and well health care? Then say so... that is one of the foundations of family practice. You get the picture, right?

Don't lie and don't try to con your interviewer. I can tell you from personal experience that nothing is more irritating than finding an applicant who thinks I am too big a schmuck to know when I am getting a snow job. However, I give full marks for intelligent and open minded answers (that have some mark of sincerity because they contain details and specific examples) even when they do not conform to my personal beliefs.

It's been my experience that most interviewers just want to get to know you. Think of your interview as a great opportunity to show the school that you not only look great on paper, but that you're an interesting person with good communication skills as well. Keep a list in your head about the areas you want to focus on during your interview and try to steer the interview towards the topics that you want to elaborate on. Ask questions...not just about what the school offers you, but also ask questions about your interviewer's opinions, etc. Don't be afraid to carry on a conversation with your interviewer. I think many students sometimes think of the interview as a process where it's all about you, but try to think of it as more like a conversation than an interview. This takes some of the pressure off of you, too and gives you a chance to find out something about your interviewer.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the responses everyone...i had a great interview and am now just waiting to hear.