Advice for Medical School? Freshman?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a freshman right now. I have joined several clubs, etc. Was wondering what other kind of stuff I should do? I posted a thread similar to this a couple months ago and I got a couple A-s and ONE B+ -_- I know this doesn't kill my chances and I'm doing really well right now. I am considering taking Organic Chemistry over the summer, and am willing to study my ass off so I can get ahead and do O Chem 2 in the fall. I was wondering if I should study for the MCAT right now? I know that you guys may think it's too early but if I study for it right now, I'd score really high when I take the actual exam (late 2018/early2019). Is research a good idea this early? No, right? I've joined a couple clubs, am currently shadowing a doctor and I'm also volunteering at various places. Furthermore, I do other volunteer stuff for charity fundraisers, etc. What else should I be doing? I'm hopefully doing research in the fall and looking for internships right now. What else should I be doing to really make me "stand out"? I really like horror movies, as weird as it sounds. How would I be able to use this to my advantage? Bc I know medical schools want to know about things you are passionate about and a "people person". My grades are really good this semester and I'm most likely going to get straight A's. I was thinking of studying for the MCAT this summer. How would I begin? Which test books would you recommend? Those of you that have been accepted, congrats and I was wondering if there was any more advice you could bestow upon me? Thank you! Also, sorry if my questions sound dumb. I'm very curious and really looking to get some good advice. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I am a freshman right now. I have joined several clubs, etc. Was wondering what other kind of stuff I should do? I posted a thread similar to this a couple months ago and I got a couple A-s and ONE B+ -_- I know this doesn't kill my chances and I'm doing really well right now. I am considering taking Organic Chemistry over the summer, and am willing to study my ass off so I can get ahead and do O Chem 2 in the fall. I was wondering if I should study for the MCAT right now? I know that you guys may think it's too early but if I study for it right now, I'd score really high when I take the actual exam (late 2018/early2019). Is research a good idea this early? No, right? I've joined a couple clubs, am currently shadowing a doctor and I'm also volunteering at various places. Furthermore, I do other volunteer stuff for charity fundraisers, etc. What else should I be doing? I'm hopefully doing research in the fall and looking for internships right now. What else should I be doing to really make me "stand out"? I really like horror movies, as weird as it sounds. How would I be able to use this to my advantage? Bc I know medical schools want to know about things you are passionate about and a "people person". My grades are really good this semester and I'm most likely going to get straight A's. I was thinking of studying for the MCAT this summer. How would I begin? Which test books would you recommend? Those of you that have been accepted, congrats and I was wondering if there was any more advice you could bestow upon me? Thank you! Also, sorry if my questions sound dumb. I'm very curious and really looking to get some good advice. thank you.
Wait to study for the MCAT until you have also completed Physics and Biochem. They are a big part of the test and doing practice tests now will just make you feel panicky. Freshman year as you are doing, do well in class and make friends/find some fun activities. Summer after Freshman year, take a class if you want and look for volunteer opportunities near college, or if you go home for the summer look for volunteer stuff near home. Things like adult day care, nursing homes, tutoring of children, big brother/big sister, hospice. Find a place in your community where you can be of help.

Reactions: 1 user