Advice for my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corpsman8404

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a guy who is 37 year old served US military as medic for 5 years, with family of 2 children. I am a non-native english speaker with dual citizen (US and Hong Kong). I started off in caribbean big 4 med school, finished four semesters in the island. But, the bad news is I failed my comp three times and got dismissed. Now, I end up in 2 options.

1a. I got accepted by another caribbean medical school (the school founder was the ex-founder of Ross) and it allow me to start in sem 5 with review course.
Pros: continue without repeating any class
clinical rotation in USA (good for residency)
Cons: pay out of pocket due to no federal loan
not fully accredited by USA (may be only 40 states are accepted)
1b. I also got accepted by a poland medical school (lublin). The school does not take my credits in previous school, but allow me to start over again.
Pros: federal loan, 50 states approval which means more residency options
may allow to get the internship in Poland if US residency fail
Cons: spend 2 more years
may or may not get clinical rotation in USA (depends on nbme and step 1 score)
2. start a new career, such as chiropractic, NP, or PA

I want to finish my MD program because I don't want to regret in the future for not completing or not try hard enough in my life. But, in the reality, I am also worried my residency chance due to a big red flag in my previous school. My mind is so complicated. If you were me in my situation, which option should I choose and why?

Please give me advice for the right direction. I am very appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a guy who is 37 year old served US military as medic for 5 years, with family of 2 children....

You're in a terrible situation. If your final goal is to practice medicine in the US, you have a lot of work ahead of you. I'm not trying to be offensive, but if your posts here are similar to your English-speaking proficiency, you have a very slim chance of passing Step 2 CS, which means you have practically no chance of practicing in the US. If you have a family and kids, it may be time to consider an alternative profession.

If your current debt isn't too great, I would consider cutting ties and focusing on a PA or NP program, though those also have relatively steep requirements.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a guy who is 37 year old served US military as medic for 5 years, with family of 2 children. I am a non-native english speaker with dual citizen (US and Hong Kong). I started off in caribbean big 4 med school, finished four semesters in the island. But, the bad news is I failed my comp three times and got dismissed. Now, I end up in 2 options.

1a. I got accepted by another caribbean medical school (the school founder was the ex-founder of Ross) and it allow me to start in sem 5 with review course.

Until UMHS gets Cali/NY accredited, the statement in bold means nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks ben. You got the main point because I am not a native speaker which make my chance to pass step 2 CS going to be slim. I see your profile is MS4 student. Have you take step CS already? How do you rate the percentage of importance in terms of english proficency to the medical knowledge? Do you think taking intensive course can close the gap of my weakness in English? Thanks.

Thanks ben. You got the main point because I am not a native speaker which make my chance to pass step 2 CS going to be slim. I see your profile is MS4 student. Have you take step CS already? How do you rate the percentage of importance in terms of english proficency to the medical knowledge? Do you think taking intensive course can close the gap of my weakness in English? Thanks.

Yes I took CS about 6 months ago. I would say English language proficiency is the biggest part of the exam, because you are graded primarily based on how you communicate with the patients and how you write your notes. Even if your medical knowledge is crap you have a decent chance to pass it if you can connect with your patients and demonstrate even a little proficiency with your physical exam and interview questions. Without thorough proficiency in English though, I don't see how you could pass. Absolutely you can fix it, probably with just note-writing practice. Your proficiency with speaking is most likely better than your writing, so it if you're willing to take a course or get a tutor you could probably manage it. If it's really something that you want, that is an obstacle you could absolutely overcome with some practice. CS is not a huge barrier for most students, though. You should make sure that you can do well on Step 1 and Step 2 CK before worrying about CS.

I would go with NP or PA option. Its the safer route. The other options are far fetched. You already have a big flag on your file. Residency programs will not even see your name due to filters they have in place for ERAS. No interview offers. Save yourself heartache and for your family, go NP or PA. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would go with NP or PA option.

NP and PA are completely different pathways.

NP requires you to complete a B.S. nursing degree (2-4 years depending on prior education) and then apply for graduate-level nurse-practitioner courses.

PA is essentially a 2-year graduate degree following a standard pre-med bachelor's.

OP: In your situation, I would seriously consider cutting my losses. Your life (as a future doctor) is going to involve a plethora of standardized tests. Passing these with aplomb is a requirement of the profession. Many of my non-native English-speaking friends have struggled with these tests. Your dreams of becoming a doctor are admirable, but until you can master the English language it is going to be a challenge. Going to Poland will not enhance for you this area in need of improvement.

Best of luck!

-Skip

P.S. None of the Caribbean schools are "accredited" in the U.S. Just a point of clarification. Ability to get licensed as a foreign-graduate is wholly dependent on getting ECFMG certification and the whims of the individual licensing boards in each state. Accreditation is a different issue. The only accrediting body in the U.S. (and Canada) is the LCME.

Please cut your losses and try to get into a PA school. Odds are, even if you somehow make it through your med degree(unlikely) and then also somhow match..it will be to an spot in FM. The gap between PA and FM isn't too huge when you consider the enormous extra debt you will take on and your age as well.

Get into a PA program and then do your best to pass that.

You are already so far off from getting through your MD program its just not worth it. You'll have to do more than just pass step 1 which seems unlikely. Then you have the other steps also, which in someways are harder due to communication barriers.

No meanness intended, just trying to help guide you away from another poor carrivean school predating. If it doesn't have NY approval or CA approval...its USELESS

This is a tough situation. If you are really ok with practicing overseas as you mentioned in poland then it may be worth your while to finish and go there. I have known some who after med school in the carrib went to practice in different countries.

Please avoid Lublin. Lublin is the Caribbean equivalent of Poland. They'll accept anyone.
You have to give them a $8k-$10k "admission fee" prior to being enrolled which goes towards nothing but the admin's pockets. Yeah you get to do your rotations in USA, but do you know how much a Polish doc makes? It'll take you a long time to pay off Lublin's tuition with Polish doc salary. Not to mention, to get an internship in Poland, you MUST pass a Polish proficiency exam (after passing the English licensing exam). Picking up a Slavic language is no joke.
Cut your losses and pursue NP or PA.

1b. I also got accepted by a poland medical school (lublin). The school does not take my credits in previous school, but allow me to start over again.

I want to finish my MD program because I don't want to regret in the future for not completing or not try hard enough in my life. But, in the reality, I am also worried my residency chance due to a big red flag in my previous school. My mind is so complicated. If you were me in my situation, which option should I choose and why?

Cut your loss... do NP or PA... It's too late for any regrets, especially having already failed your comp 3 times, sorry to say it.

Goo
I would go with NP or PA option. Its the safer route. The other options are far fetched. You already have a big flag on your file. Residency programs will not even see your name due to filters they have in place for ERAS. No interview offers. Save yourself heartache and for your family, go NP or PA. Good luck!
Residency programs have filters on ERAS? Tell me more about that! Plz!

Goo

Residency programs have filters on ERAS? Tell me more about that! Plz!

As Gyngyn stated, there are ways to filter out applications so that applicants from the Caribbean don't even get looked at, even if they made 280 on the Steps. It goes against the trope that all you need to do is "crush it" and the disadvantage goes away.

Reactions: 1 users
First off, many thanks to you for your service to our country. I am very sad for your situation,but your career in Medicine is over. Time for Plan B.

And really, trying to get into medical school shouldn't be on a personal par with thought like "I wonder what would have happened if I asked that hot girl out for a date in high school?" or "I wonder what would have happened if I didn't throw that breaking ball in the big game against Ridgemont High"?

Reactions: 1 users
As Gyngyn stated, there are ways to filter out applications so that applicants from the Caribbean don't even get looked at, even if they made 280 on the Steps. It goes against the trope that all you need to do is "crush it" and the disadvantage goes away.
Well, as long as they don't "screen" for gender and race… I guess a filter will be helpful.

I haven't heard many great things about UMHS, but I guess if its your only shot its your only shot...

just wondering is the school UMHS?

Why didn't you appeal the schools decision to dismiss you? At Ross they will generally let you take the exam again.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile