Advice for neurotic premeds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP, chill the f*** out, seriously. Life is too short to be stressed and uptight all the time. Go have fun like everyone else has said (did not read entire thread, do not care enough). Me and my classmates have one more week of freedom here in our city before orientation starts, and we have been living it up every day and night since we've been here.

You can totally party in med school. I foresee a lot of it at mine.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm one of those pre-meds who is always doing some type of work. No TV. No leisure (unless you count SDN as leisure), except for the odd funny Youtube video. No reading for pleasure. Not even listening to music, really. At the moment, I'm about to have a breakdown because I have two more weeks of summer with nothing to do. I have trouble relaxing, I guess, because I'm always thinking about how much I have to do to be a competitive pre-med applicant. And even though my perfectionism and compulsion to work serve me well as a student, I'm starting to find it a little disturbing.

I really like being premed, because it keeps me busy, and I'm surrounded by people like me. But I want to learn to be an actual person too, to have hobbies, and the capacity to be creative, and a personality, basically. I know this is funny and / or pathetic, because being a "neurotic premed" is kind of a joke. But I already feel stupid for having had to Google this, and then make a post about it, so I'd appreciate some honest advice. Thank you.

My vote is for exercise, I think if you get into it it will work with your personality. With exercise, it can be something that you enjoy, use to release stress but then also feel "productive" about. You clearly have invested time and energy into your career, now it's time to invest in your swole. Lifting weights and doing cardio will be something you can have a lot of fun with and also thank yourself for doing 5 years from now. It also has objective, visual and numerical progress that you can track. Additionally, if you aren't currently getting at least 150 minutes of cardio a week, then you are not meeting the MINIMUM recommended amount of exercise, which is detrimental for your health. Take note my fellow Americans!

Lets keep looking at even MORE benefits... You can bring a friend and become gym buddies, or meet people at the gym so it can be social.. You will increase your self confidence (even if it isn't currently an issue).. Your outward appearance will improve, which another thread established is important for interviews anyway.. You will be able to handle the physical demands of being a resident more effectively... You will likely live longer... You get to eat more tasty food without getting fat... You will be able to lift your skinny, less swole colleagues above your head... You will avoid depression... You will gain the ability to bounce your pecs up and down individually... Need I say more? The benefits are endless.

OP, I definitely feel for you. Everyone's posts about chilling out are spot on, but many of us have been in the situation where it seems impossible to just chill out, like despite our desire we can't bring ourselves to do it. I once was quite the worrier here are a few things I learned:

1. I held on to the neuroticism because it was comfortable. It was what I had been for so long. I feared that if I tried to change I may slip up and become.....dare I say it....lazy!! (Not true by the way)

2. When in your overly neurotic premed mind set you really dont have a clear mind set about reality. Life itself is not perfect, so a perfectionist has an impossible time trying to fit in. In reality life is kind of a mess, but is a good mess and with hard work usually everything works out in the end. (Not trying to be inspirational, just factual)

3. If you can't see meaning in relaxing or doing a hobby you need to look at it differently. It is very meaningful for you personally. Parks and Rec Netflix was literal medicine once MCAT study was done for the day. Your brain and emotions need a break.

4. Don't expect to get over your neuroticism in a day. Give yourself time to get over it, and give yourself time to learn to enjoy hobbies.

Or you can just get married to a laid back spouse and work hard to help them be happy. Best thing I ever did. She taught me how to enjoy life. Turns out my grades didn't slip at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lets keep looking at even MORE benefits... You can bring a friend and become gym buddies, or meet people at the gym so it can be social.. You will increase your self confidence (even if it isn't currently an issue).. Your outward appearance will improve, which another thread established is important for interviews anyway.. You will be able to handle the physical demands of being a resident more effectively... You will likely live longer... You get to eat more tasty food without getting fat... You will be able to lift your skinny, less swole colleagues above your head... You will avoid depression... You will gain the ability to bounce your pecs up and down individually... Need I say more? The benefits are endless.

Well, you've convinced me, lol. I have gotten really into exercise before, actually. But it got twisted into something that wasn't enjoyable anymore, so I stopped. I guess it's a matter of learning to do things leisurely...

@desertrat12 Thanks for the advice. And yeah, all of my friends are like the opposite of me, hanging around them helps. But everyone's off being productive right now, so it's just me and my thoughts, which is when all of this stuff starts coming up.

Well, you've convinced me, lol. I have gotten really into exercise before, actually. But it got twisted into something that wasn't enjoyable anymore, so I stopped. I guess it's a matter of learning to do things leisurely...

@desertrat12 Thanks for the advice. And yeah, all of my friends are like the opposite of me, hanging around them helps. But everyone's off being productive right now, so it's just me and my thoughts, which is when all of this stuff starts coming up.
You can also find activities that are active, but disguise it with fun! My quality of life has improved immeasurably since I started rock climbing and found chances to get back into ultimate frisbee around here, even though I have less 'free' time now. I feel better, move better, and make overall healthier choices for myself...all without ever having to psych myself up to exercise. I just play games with friends, or go monkey around on bouldering challenges for a bit! The exercise takes care of itself in the background.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it a peeve of anyone else when people call themselves "premed" or "a premed"? FYI: that term means NOTHING. Nothing absolutely whatsoever; it doesn't give you a modicum of real credibility. I'm not meaning to rant at the OP, but just in general.

Anyway, it takes a bit of neuroticism to get into medical school, but to say it can't be done with out socializing, attending parties and even going to bars (gasp!) is a bit sad.

Is it a peeve of anyone else when people call themselves "premed" or "a premed"? FYI: that term means NOTHING. Nothing absolutely whatsoever; it doesn't give you a modicum of real credibility. I'm not meaning to rant at the OP, but just in general.

Anyway, it takes a bit of neuroticism to get into medical school, but to say it can't be done with out socializing, attending parties and even going to bars (gasp!) is a bit sad.
I feel like "pre-med" is the most descriptive, apt, and accurate terminology for students in undergrad looking for a future in medicine, though. How did you introduce your academic pursuits as a college student?

I agree that a lack of social activities can cause issues for the OP in the future though.

I think if someone tries to use that term to gain credibility, then yeah that's silly, but I don't see the problem with telling someone that who asks you what you're doing in college.. At least in my case, my major has a lot of paths/ sub-specialties (pre PT, pre OT, pre health professions etc.) and so if I didn't say "pre-med" it wouldn't be painting a very accurate picture of what I'm doing...

Beyond my major though, I think there is a stark contrast between a biology major that wants to go on and do research and a biology major who is pre med, or pre dental or whatever. Just saying "biology" would shed no light on what their reason for being in college is, so why would you not tell them you're pre-med? I don't understand the hate for the term pre-med... I've also met people who have said they were pre-dental, pre-pharm etc. Even in labs where they have everyone go around and introduce themselves/ give your major/ where your from or whatever, people will say "pre-dental"

Lol, what?

I'm in college so that I can go to medical school; therefore, I am a pre-med. It is quite descriptive and easy to say. It's a lot easier than saying something like "I'm a college student who plans on going to medical school," especially when 4-thousand people ask you about your major/future plans/etc.

And, in general, the meaning of pre-med is that someone is taking the required steps to get into medical school, so it does have a meaning.

You make it sound like everyone who identifies as premed uses the term as a way to cast their supreme intellect over the other inferior college students, which is just not the case for 95% of pre-medical students.

It depends on what you want to do. I smoke a cigar and drink scotch about once a month with buddies from my business school to get away from the pre-med culture. I've dated around too, and write in my spare time. It's vital that you find some way to disconnect from your goals and see the forest within the trees. Lord knows that's helped me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, what?

I'm in college so that I can go to medical school; therefore, I am a pre-med. It is quite descriptive and easy to say. It's a lot easier than saying something like "I'm a college student who plans on going to medical school," especially when 4-thousand people ask you about your major/future plans/etc.

And, in general, the meaning of pre-med is that someone is taking the required steps to get into medical school, so it does have a meaning.

You make it sound like everyone who identifies as premed uses the term as a way to cast their supreme intellect over the other inferior college students, which is just not the case for 95% of pre-medical students.

What's so hard about saying "I'm a college student who plans on going to medical school?" Are you in such a rush that only "I'm pre-med" will suffice?. Most people outside of the "premed" world haven't got the foggiest idea about how medical education works and saying "premed" makes it sound like you're certainly going medical school, which we all know isn't the case.

I just find the term premed to be presumptuous. The only way that the term "premed" isn't annoying is in hindsight, after someone has already been accepted to medical school.

What's so hard about saying "I'm a college student who plans on going to medical school?" Are you in such a rush that only "I'm pre-med" will suffice?. Most people outside of the "premed" world haven't got the foggiest idea about how medical education works and saying "premed" makes it sound like you're certainly going medical school, which we all know isn't the case.

I just find the term premed to be presumptuous. The only way that the term "premed" isn't annoying is in hindsight, after someone has already been accepted to medical school.
I think it is presumptions to think that all premeds think that way. And isn't saying that you "plan on going to medical school" not also sounding certain? To sound uncertain, one would need to say something along the lines of "I plan on applying to medical school" or "I'm going to try to get into medical school."

Either way, you're entitled to your own opinion, and this is not the thread for this conversation. Agree to disagree.

I use it on SDN, because on here, that's the designation that other people actually gaf about.

:laugh: love how everyone keeps thinking that OP is a guy who just needs to get drunk and get laid.

Maybe the lady isn't that easily pleased. Go watch mindless movies with your friends, read books on random things that interest you, go on dates, learn to cook cool stuff ect, ect.
When you turn 21 you can combine all those things with alcohol :naughty:

Last edited:
When you turn 21 you can combine all those things with alcohol :naughty:
You don't have to be 21 to combine activities with alcohol...how do you think most college kids function?

You don't have to be 21 to combine activities with alcohol...how do you think most college kids function?
Hey, hey, I'm just trying to cover my own ass here. OP said they were <21

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice and interesting conversations, lol.

Interesting perspective. I usually only say that I'm "premed" when I'm talking to other "premeds," because they know that it doesn't mean anything. If I'm talking to someone else, usually an adult asking me what I plan to do after college, I say that I'm "thinking about going to medical school." But that's because I don't think they'd know what "premed" meant at all.

I really don't think it's disingenuous at all to refer to yourself as "premed", particularly within a university or academic setting that routinely deals with students (or others) who want to go to medical school. There is inherent uncertainty in nearly every path, even if there's quite a bit more in the premed route. The fact of the matter is that "premed" (or pre-health or whatever your school uses) is an accepted term for someone who wants to go to medical school. Is it the best way to present yourself in a professional setting? Debatable, but probably not (e.g. a potential PI asks what you're studying, to which you should probably answer "I'm studying biochemistry and intend to go to medical school" rather than "I'm a premed studying biochem"). However, in a casual setting, such as talking to other students, I really don't think you can argue that it's a problematic identifier. Is it presumptuous? Perhaps a little bit. Is it an oversimplification? Again, probably a bit. But is it wrong or misleading? I don't really see a reason why it would be.

Just my 2c

I really don't think it's disingenuous at all to refer to yourself as "premed", particularly within a university or academic setting that routinely deals with students (or others) who want to go to medical school. There is inherent uncertainty in nearly every path, even if there's quite a bit more in the premed route. The fact of the matter is that "premed" (or pre-health or whatever your school uses) is an accepted term for someone who wants to go to medical school. Is it the best way to present yourself in a professional setting? Debatable, but probably not (e.g. a potential PI asks what you're studying, to which you should probably answer "I'm studying biochemistry and intend to go to medical school" rather than "I'm a premed studying biochem"). However, in a casual setting, such as talking to other students, I really don't think you can argue that it's a problematic identifier. Is it presumptuous? Perhaps a little bit. Is it an oversimplification? Again, probably a bit. But is it wrong or misleading? I don't really see a reason why it would be.

Just my 2c

Honestly, I don't like to call myself a premed. It's not something I want to consider until I have a proven record of success, consisting of high MCAT, GPA, and well anything that helps. Honestly, I don't even know at this point if medical school is something I am serious about. I have only actually started considering medical school as a realistic path for me. I don't like these "PREMED's" who take the bare minimum of science courses required.

Honestly, I don't like to call myself a premed. It's not something I want to consider until I have a proven record of success, consisting of high MCAT, GPA, and well anything that helps. Honestly, I don't even know at this point if medical school is something I am serious about. I have only actually started considering medical school as a realistic path for me. I don't like these "PREMED's" who take the bare minimum of science courses required.

Not to be contentious, but if you're going to be spending the next 4 years (+ the rest of your life) studying science, why not use your undergraduate experience to study something else like philosophy, anthropology, history, or economics, which you're likely never going to get the chance to study in-depth again?

Not to be contentious, but if you're going to be spending the next 4 years (+ the rest of your life) studying science, why not use your undergraduate experience to study something else like philosophy, anthropology, history, or economics, which you're likely never going to get the chance to study in-depth again?

My theory is, MCAT. But, you make a great point. I might actually switch my major to religious studies.

My theory is, MCAT. But, you make a great point. I might actually switch my major to religious studies.

If you look at the AAMC's MCAT tables by major, you'll see that biology majors actually do poorly on the MCAT compared to many humanities/social studies majors. You don't need to take advanced courses in any discipline to do well on the MCAT.

If you look at the AAMC's MCAT tables by major, you'll see that biology majors actually do poorly on the MCAT compared to many humanities/social studies majors. You don't need to take advanced courses in any discipline to do well on the MCAT.

Well, you just ruined my plan. Now accepting applications for a new major. Perhaps they have more time to self study the MCAT.

Well, you just ruined my plan. Now accepting applications for a new major. Perhaps they have more time to self study the MCAT.

Keep in mind that correlation =/= causation... your choice of major is unlikely to significantly impact your MCAT score (or at least is much less likely to than a billion other factors).

Keep in mind that correlation =/= causation... your choice of major is unlikely to significantly impact your MCAT score (or at least is much less likely to than a billion other factors).

Well, it was a more of an interest for life sciences. I never performed well in any other classes, but made A's in all of my bio classes (dual enrollment/MEMORY work though). Therefore, had no evidence to pursue a major other than biology. They say "DO WHAT YOU LIKE"......I don't know a thing about the other majors.

download league of legends

This is a terrible idea. Between WoW, League, Smite, DoTa... and studying... and volunteering... I only go out on the weekends and Wenesdays. My social life is utter bollox.

So, I'm one of those pre-meds who is always doing some type of work. No TV. No leisure (unless you count SDN as leisure), except for the odd funny Youtube video. No reading for pleasure. Not even listening to music, really. At the moment, I'm about to have a breakdown because I have two more weeks of summer with nothing to do. I have trouble relaxing, I guess, because I'm always thinking about how much I have to do to be a competitive pre-med applicant. And even though my perfectionism and compulsion to work serve me well as a student, I'm starting to find it a little disturbing.

I really like being premed, because it keeps me busy, and I'm surrounded by people like me. But I want to learn to be an actual person too, to have hobbies, and the capacity to be creative, and a personality, basically. I know this is funny and / or pathetic, because being a "neurotic premed" is kind of a joke. But I already feel stupid for having had to Google this, and then make a post about it, so I'd appreciate some honest advice. Thank you.

Use the summer to expand your horizon and find some hobbies that you enjoy! Take time and find different things to try - even if they sound weird. I'm kind of closet-neurotic so I know what you mean about always having to be doing something, but finding hobbies and FORCING yourself to even just drink some tea/coffee/water/whatever for a bit to get away is a good start. Maybe once the fall semester starts try to join some fun clubs? One that's been really fun for me (and a really cool one to add to your application too actually) is a club focused on inclusion for those with a variety of disabilities (a group I want to specialize in working with one day!!). It takes my mind off everything to hang out with my 'buddy' and we do a lot of fun, normal things like go to the movies or get lunch. I don't know if you're into that kind of thing, but I love that club and I imagine it'd be really cool to talk about during a potential interview one day. :)

Aww, I remember posting this almost a year ago when I was a sad, sad little premed. Since it's been bumped, I guess I can update by saying that in the fall, I started cubing (as in, Rubik's cubes) as well as joined the gospel choir and a group that spins fire. I've chilled out a lot, so thanks for all the advice! Although, now I'm having the opposite problem of being lazy, lol, but I'm getting closer to the balance I'm looking for...

Its interesting that a one of my students had terrible trouble answering a question on a secondary that said "what was the most fun you had last year?"
That's difficult for me to answer too. :lame:

Life's short, before you know you'll be old and you wouldn't be able to do many of things you can now when you're old.

@Mamba824 @ElCapone Lol, I will take all of these suggestions into consideration
@Holmwood Thanks for the suggestions; I have done or am doing all of them, but of course, that's not getting me closer to my goal of being normal, lol

I hope that most people aren't like me too, and I'm sure most aren't. :hilarious:

Medschool is surprisingly like high-school. There's the cool kids, the nerds, and all the cliques in between (this was at a top 10 but my friends had similar experiences in other medschools). Kind of ******ed in actuality.