Advice for new Sacklers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those Sacklers starting in 2004, congratulations. Med school was some of the most fun I've had in my life (especially the trips to Europe). Some tips.

1) DON'T buy any textbooks on the reading list before you get to Israel. They are much cheaper in Israel, or you can buy them used from your older classmates. If you have to buy textbooks, buy review books like BRS.

2) DO bring your favorite medicines, cosmetics, or other items you can't live without. DO bring a computer (way more expensive in Israel).

3) Plan on buying a car. I never did and I regret not doing so. They don't depreciate much in value, so you'll spend a lot but you'll get a lot of that money back when you leave. DON'T take the bus. Taxis get expensive after awhile, especially in your clinical years.

4) Plan on learning Hebrew. Study Hebrew beforehand if you can, because the Hebrew lessons in Israel are decent but it's really hard to go to Hebrew class in the afternoon after 7 hours of lecture. Also it's good to learn 10-100 words of russian, mostly for the physical exam (breathe deeply, where does it hurt, etc) I learned some Hebrew and I regret not learning more.

5) Plan on taking trips to Europe. Yep, it's only a stone's throw away, and it's cheap to go, especially Eastern Europe. You can get three/four day packages that are dirt cheap, lots of fun, and don't interfere with your studies.

6) Plan on culture shock. Plan on old ladies pushing you out of the way. Plan on people being downright rude and obnoxious. Also plan on some incredible cultural experiences which you will never forget. Especially first year, half the time you'll love Israel and half the time you'll hate it.

7) Suck up to the office ladies (Ziva, Nira, etc). They're actually nice people, but sometimes it's hard to tell. Smile, say hello and ask how they're doing before asking for stuff. It's not only polite but it makes things happen a lot faster. Expect them to make mistakes (make copies of all important documents you give to them), and for the office to be closed most of the day when it's supposed to be open. You'll get used to it quickly.

8) Don't expect to become best friends with Dean Shenkman. He's basically a good, honorable person (with a terrible temper) but he's not exactly personable. He does try to get stuff done when you really need it, but don't expect anything to actually happen. It's a bureaucracy just like anywhere else.

9) Renting an apartment in Israel is a pain in the rump. Give yourself at least a week for all the contract details to be figured out.

10) Make contact with any friends or relatives in Israel ASAP. It's good to have friends that know how things are done and where to have fun.

11) Go on the student orientation trips. They're a blast, and a good chance to know your collegues who will be your best friends and strongest allies for the next four years. However, you're not going to like everyone.

12) Don't expect to make many Israeli friends. They all have friends from high school and the army, and don't open up to outsiders easily. Most Sacklers make friends within their class. Consider yourself lucky if you make a few Israeli friends.

13) Israeli girls may look good and dress provocatively but they are NOT easy (to date, to hook up with, etc).

Have fun. Any questions you can PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

1.its easy to get around israel by bus dont waste your money on a car.

2.Israelis are friendly people if you are not a stuck up american. I have many friends from my medical school days. I also dated many israeli women. Many of my friends have married israelis and are happily with children,one of my classmates actually stayed in Israel and works in a hospital there

3."Beyond all hope" if you are so unhappy in Israel, think israelis are so rude consider transferring to the US next year many have done so,why suffer?
4.Maybe if you were courteous to elderly people they would not push in front of you-good manors is to allow old people to go first in most civilized cultures..
How come I never had this problem.???

4.Beyond all hope what is your real name do you have the COURAGE OF your statements to reveal who you really are-? I doubt you are a sacker medical student-lets see if you can will reveal your real name here for all-
Alan Wolkower MD CLASS OF 1985 ;)

"Plan on culture shock. Plan on old ladies pushing you out of the way. Plan on people being downright rude and obnoxious. Also plan on some incredible cultural experiences which you will never forget. Especially first year, half the time you'll love Israel and half the time you'll hate it. "

Concerning Beyond Hopes remarks above:

If you really are a medical student you would understand that in Israel most of the elderly Jews are eith holocaust survivors or refugees from a land where they were persecuted. Most of these elderly jews have lost or have a relative that has lost a son to war or a daughter to terrorism.

Most of the people in Israel have the diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder -I suggest you read up on this.
Most of the elderly who are "pushy" as you write wopuld be the same pushy elderly here is the USA or europe-you are supposed to let elderly go in from -go visit the Orient and see for your self.

Maybe a kind word or smile would go along way to making your experience in Israel more pleasant.

I have met with hundreds of medical students since 1981 and your post is the first derogatory post I have seen.
Maybe you should look into to your own attitudes-the fact that you call yourself
Beyond all hope --

maYBE you need some mental health counselling??

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Wolkower, I understand that it's easy to get defensive about people attacking Israel, but I'm not. I graduated from Sackler, had a great experience, and got the residency I wanted.

Unfortunately, you have to be realistic. I did take the bus in Israel, frequently, and it's not safe. If you don't believe me, just read the paper. In my opinion it's marginally safer to drive (did I mention what crazy drivers Israelis are? Do you want to jump on that?)

And yes, Israelis can be very pushy, from 12 year olds to old ladies. It's not just PTSD. They take 'speaking your mind' to a whole other level. Maybe it's not that different from NY, but coming from more relaxed places it's quite a shock. I must admit there's something refreshing about the way they communicate at times, but oftentimes it's just aggrevating for soft-spoken Americans like myself.

If you're relating your Israeli experience from the 80s, hey, things have changed. A lot. I know people who lived there in the 80s and they tell me how much Israel has changed. Go back and experience it for yourself.

I have been visiting israel since 1981 several times a year and as far as I can see things are a million times better then when I was there-whats wrong with the buses? I have been using them for 25 years and have no problems giving my seat to an elderly person .

There are enough Israel bashers out there-you should voice your complaints directly to Dean Shenkmen instead of publishing derogatory staements over the web to be viewed by israel's enemies.
Find me other alumni from other schools bashing faculty by name on this site-I dont think I will find that here? Most physicians appreciate the Sackler Name it is in the same class as the best medical schools and Israel is no third world location!

There is a wish saying from India about keeping "dirty linen in the family" not publicly whining on the internet-do it privately so there will be constructive change
Do something constructive to improve the country-join American magen David and The Jewish Agency and donate money to a scholarship fund at Tel Aviv University for refugees like I do and my fellow alumni.

But the bottom line question is:was it worth it? You did well and are in a good residency- Congratulations to you.
My advice is dont frighten premeds by making thoses remarks,if you want to criticize the dean and the front office people do it privately-the worst thing a person can do is critricize someone publicly without their ability to defend themselves.

The bottom line : Without Sackler you would not be an MD,you have to be greatful that "those rude Israelis" gave you the oppurtunity to be a first grade physician when your own country didnt- so maybe when you are more mature you will understand what I am talking about.

Since you are a physician and in a good residency thanks to going to school in Israel you really should change your name to something positive example Dr.Survivor( as you will not reveal your true name) something positive :)

Shalom
have a nice life

As a current Sackler, I can't help but to second a few things said by others.

1. Definetly bring toiletries from the US. You can prolly find most of the same products here, but I have found them to be more expensive. Especially, contact lens solutions, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. If you are def. coming here, and you are planning a trip back during the year, it might by worth it to bring a few things with you, and check out the prices while you are here.

2. Bring a computer with a network card. Israel has great deals on broadband cable service, and if you bring a computer capable of it, you can take advantage of it.

3. Goto the orientation session in the US. There is one in NYC and LA during the 1st or 2nd week of July. Its hosted by upcoming 2nd/3rd years and they can answer any questions you might have. I went to it, and it helped me a lot!

4. Israel is a beautiful country, don't believe everything you see on TV.

5. Def. do as much as the Orientation session as you are able to. Its a lot of fun- you get to see and enjoy parts of Israel you wouldn't normally see.

6. Being a non-jew will have no bearing on your enjoyment at Sackler. Just ask me.

Pm me for more question or just post em here.

One more thing, public transportation. I don't take it, cause I am worried about my safety. But most Israelis take it and they have no prollem with it. Its a personal choice, one that you will have to deal with once you get here. Taking cabs all the time WILL get expensive, and getting a car isn't a realistic option for all students.

Most 1st/2nd years take cabs everywhere they have to go during the first couple years and then buy or share a car with other classmates for the hospital rotations of 3rd/4th year. Some 3rd/4th years don't bother with a car at all and take the bus or set up a carpool with a taxi. Its something you will figure out when you get here, and actually something I haven't really had to deal with yet! I am still taking cabs when I have to! :)