Advice for OOS students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ufrunner94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've lived in Florida my whole life, and recently got accepted to (and plan on attending) med school in Puerto Rico. If anyone has any advice, tips, or words of wisdom to share about going out of state for med school, I'd really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I get a little jealous/homesick when all my classmates go home for the weekend (1.5 hr away for most of them), and I can't because driving 800 miles is too far for a weekend, and I'm too poor to afford plane tickets that often. So be aware that that could happen. I would also suggest living with another first year classmate.

Yea, don't live alone. Or at least start making a social group to support on and hang out with. See if there are other FL students in your school

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll probably be homesick at first, but it will get better with time. When you're feeling homesick, your first instinct will be to call home. DON'T DO IT. Calling home too often makes homesickness worse. Instead, distract yourself. Spend time with friends or pick up a hobby.

Develop a good social network and support system during your first few weeks of medical school. Your classmates and friends will be important to helping you adjust. Maximize your time with your friends and family back home between now and the start of med school. If it's an option, have your family and friends visit you in PR.