Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Advice for Post Bac Applicants

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by Heinz57, May 3, 2007.

1. Heinz57

Pre-Medical
    Hello! Just wanted to say that I was really dumb and initially only applied to three very competitive post bac programs (Goucher, UVA and Bryn Mawr). Don't make this mistake!!

I was almost immediately rejected from Goucher (pretty much expected!) and didn't hear from Bryn Mawr until March. After I was not offered admission at BM, I hurriedly applied to UPenn, Tufts and VCU at end of March. Luckily, I got into VCU (which isn't too difficult), because I did not get into UPenn and won't hear from Tufts until July. (I have a UG 3.7 from a top U.C. and G 3.7 from a top Ivy League, great letters, my GREs are low [500's, writing 5.5]. I thought my interview skills were alright, but maybe they're not as good as I thought.)

This is a long-winded way of saying apply to many programs and apply to them early. This obviously goes for med school as well. No doubt UPenn (and probably Tufts) knew that I applied so late because I didn't get my first picks. Also, all of these programs said that the number of applications they received went up by the hundreds. Anyhow, you probably all know this, but as someone who's rejoining academia after some time has passed, I've noticed that competition is fiercer than it was even a couple of years ago. Hopefully that means there will be a bunch of *really good* physicians out there! And hopefully I will be one of them!

I had my counseling appointment with VCU yesterday and am very excited to attend. The post bac advisor is excellent. He said that for the third year in a row, 100% of the post bac students were accepted into med schools - no smoke and mirrors. Some were early admission, and a couple are going to Cornell and UVA. Because of the low competition admissions process for this post bac program, most applicants get into the program and about five-six people are asked to leave each year if they aren't doing well, which makes each class about 30 people.

So I am really happy and feel very lucky to be in Virginia, and to know that I'm not going to have to spend my entire life's savings on post bac work. This process has been tough, though (not that it's going to get *any* easier for med school)! Good thing for my deep belief in my abilities and knowing that I am going to do well, because I have the drive and determination to make it. I guess when you know your calling, you just do what it takes...:)

I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me. :laugh: Sheesh, get this girl off the boards. ;)

Good luck all!! :luck:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.