Advice for Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pringlesreturns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm currently sitting on 4 DO waitlists (MUCOM, CUSOM, KCU, DMU) hoping that one will yield an acceptance. But if not, I'm wondering what I can do to improve:
3.4 cpa and 3.4 sgpa both will be the about the same after no grade replacement.
MCAT 505 (127,126,126,126)
2 years experience as an ED tech
1 year urgent care tech (essentially MA work)
1 and 1/2 years research
~400 hours on clinical volunteering
-50 hours shadowing, 25 of which with a DO.
-varsity D1 athlete
-coach of a high school team
DIY Post bac gpa -3.61 (69 credits)

DO, MD , 2 science prof, 1 academic advisor LOR

I didn't submit primaries until Oct, and most secondaries till Dec/Jan. Interviews were in Jan, Feb, and March. I think the lateness of my apps played a part, and maybe interview skills. Should I do an SMP? Take more classes? Get a masters in Bio? Or just continue to work in the healthcare field and volunteer?
I'm running out of money and don't really want to take on tons of debt before med school. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

If it were me, I would certainly keep volunteering in healthcare this next year, but I wouldn't reccomend doing an smp or grad program at this point. Your stats are very competitive; I would just apply on day one next cycle and hopefully you'll be more successful.

If you feel you have poor interviewing skills, definitely improve on those. 4 + interviews and no acceptances? I understand your app was later than ideal, but if you interview that many times you should get in somewhere. Definitely look into what you can improve in that area.

Good luck man.

I had slightly lower stats than you with less healthcare experience and I got into two of the schools you are waitlisted at. If you end up reapplying I recommend applying as early as possible because I really think that helped me with my acceptances. I don't think you should do an SMP at all because you are already competitive. I would just continue volunteering and working while maybe working on your interviewing skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just apply earlier next cycle, and work on interview skills.
Hello everyone!

I'm currently sitting on 4 DO waitlists (MUCOM, CUSOM, KCU, DMU) hoping that one will yield an acceptance. But if not, I'm wondering what I can do to improve:
3.4 cpa and 3.4 sgpa both will be the about the same after no grade replacement.
MCAT 505 (127,126,126,126)
2 years experience as an ED tech
1 year urgent care tech (essentially MA work)
1 and 1/2 years research
~400 hours on clinical volunteering
-50 hours shadowing, 25 of which with a DO.
-varsity D1 athlete
-coach of a high school team
DIY Post bac gpa -3.61 (69 credits)

DO, MD , 2 science prof, 1 academic advisor LOR

I didn't submit primaries until Oct, and most secondaries till Dec/Jan. Interviews were in Jan, Feb, and March. I think the lateness of my apps played a part, and maybe interview skills. Should I do an SMP? Take more classes? Get a masters in Bio? Or just continue to work in the healthcare field and volunteer?
I'm running out of money and don't really want to take on tons of debt before med school. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: 1 user
I Recommend hiring an interview coach (specializing in med school interviews); I did and I think it helped:nod:

Reactions: 1 user