This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prospective PsyD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I accidentally stumbled across this forum through a google search and I hope that you can give me some good advice.

I've decided that I would like to be a therapist, and thought that a PsyD would be an attractive option (more counseling focused, less research focused). I just have some questions about how to get there.

Because I don't have an undergraduate degree in Psychology or working experience in the field, I thought getting a Masters would be helpful to demonstrating my interest in a PsyD application. There are a number of PsyD programs that combine Clinical Psychology and School Psychology. My understanding is that you can choose to focus in either direction as you spend time in the program.

My question is this: would it be advisable to pursue a Masters in School Psychology with the intention of applying to one of these combination programs (and then eventually choosing to focus in Clinical Psychology?) My only concern is that it might be a bit of a roundabout way to becoming a therapist.

I suppose the advantages are that I would be able to work as a school psychologist while pursuing the PsyD. I could take classes at night and would have the summer to take classes full time.

As an outsider to the field, I'm hoping that someone with more experience might be able to guide me. What do you think about this plan? Or would I be better served with a general Psychology Masters?

Thank you so much for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, yes. Well I would prefer not to have too much debt.

I was hoping to get a MA at a state school, and was eyeing Pace for the combined PsyD. Because they would accept the credits, I would be able to skip two years of their PsyD program. I thought that would be a good money-saving move. But maybe not?

I am trying to relocate to Western NY so I've been focused on offerings in that area for this first stage.

When you say there are cheaper and quicker options, what do you suggest?

Thanks for the reply!!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no "quick" option with doctoral training, so your best bet is to figure out if a masters degree will allow you to do what you want.

The threaded posted at the top of the forum are worth a read, as many of your questions have been asked/answered in those threads. Best of luck.

Thank you so much for all your advice. I really appreciate it.

I've spent hours looking through all the threads, googling, and setting up informational meetings with certain programs. I just have a couple of lingering questions (and please excuse my ignorance if any of this comes out strangely):

I've heard that mental health counselors and social workers provide counseling services that are comparable to those provided by psychologists. Why would someone pursue a PhD or PsyD in Clinical Psych over a Masters if most of those PhD/PsyD students will end up practicing as psychologists and providing similar counseling services? Is it just to participate in research? Or to keep the possibility of working as a professor open in the future? Is private practice the only advantage of a PsyD?

Please let me know what you think, when you get a chance.