Advice for Shadowing Doctors/Clinical Experience during the pandemic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a junior planning to apply to medical school in the next cycle. Due to COVID-19 I wasn't able to volunteer/shadow last spring and this summer as planned. I only have about 50 clinical volunteer hours from the previous summer and no other clinical experiences. I am aware that I need more clinical experience, however, all the hospitals near me have stopped their volunteer programs. I have been thinking about cold calling doctor's offices to see if I can volunteer and/or shadow with them.

Has anyone tried contacting doctor's offices recently about opportunities? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Going to be very difficult unless you have some legit connections. Doc in the family? Call 'em up. Your former pediatrician? Worth a try. But cold call shadowing opportunities are going to be brutal.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am a junior planning to apply to medical school in the next cycle. Due to COVID-19 I wasn't able to volunteer/shadow last spring and this summer as planned. I only have about 50 clinical volunteer hours from the previous summer and no other clinical experiences. I am aware that I need more clinical experience, however, all the hospitals near me have stopped their volunteer programs. I have been thinking about cold calling doctor's offices to see if I can volunteer and/or shadow with them.

Has anyone tried contacting doctor's offices recently about opportunities? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
you might have to wait! I emailed close to 50 doctors in my city and nearby cities and noone is letting us in! however they said to keep checking and something might come up once their higher ups allow them (probably when we get a vaccine I am assuming.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all! I have found an opportunity to do administrative work in a hospital setting (calling and connecting patients and doctors etc...) but not direct patient interaction. Do you think medical schools may accept that as clinical experience (I would be learning medical terminology and working with patient charts) given the current circumstances?