Advice for someone needing an SMP

Started by IlyaR
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IlyaR

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys! I'd greatly appreciate any advice on matriculating into an SMP. My first couple of years of undergrad are lackluster to say the least. I was very immature coming into college and my transcript reflects that. The second half of my college career I had a drastic point of inflection and averaged a 3.9 gpa. I spoke with my mentor and he advised me to apply to a SMP to have any shot at a US allopathic school. I applied (foolishly, and rather late) to only 3 this cycle. One I truly had my heart set on and was feeling great after getting interviewed, but I was eventually rejected by them. I'm still waitlisted on the other 2 and despite my summer app updates, I am being realistic and not getting my hopes up.

I think that my biggest problem is a lack of extracurricular. I worked in a clinic for 4 years, but that was many years ago, and I barely had any patient interaction. I'm currently applying to get an EMT certification, and to hospital volunteer programs, which I hope will give me the boost I need for next cycle.

My credentials: cGPA: 3.32
sGPA: ~2.8 (had to do a couple of F grade replacements, killed me)
MCAT: 35

I'm assuming I should just apply way broader, and perhaps earlier? I submitted my first app in early May this year...guessing I should try to submit late February-March at the latest?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which ones did you apply to?
I think that's the big thing. Many of them have very few seats.
NYMC's AMP (really wanted this one) interviewed at the end of May, Tufts MBS (applied in May), BU MAMS- Applied in....end of June
The EC's arent too relevant to be honest for the SMP since it's all about improving your academic profile.
Guess I'll just have to apply earlier. A lot of places open up for Fall '15 in September. Would you say that February-March is too late?
 
You probably wouldve gotten in all of those if it had been earlier. The 35 MCAT is really good but your gpa is a bit low. Most SMPs wont even look at people until March abouts...
 
apps were too late. re-apply early next year and you'll have much better luck. Use the year to take some upper level science classes and get As, or work on another part of your app
 
You probably wouldve gotten in all of those if it had been earlier. The 35 MCAT is really good but your gpa is a bit low. Most SMPs wont even look at people until March abouts...
Thanks! Hope I'll have better luck. Regarding the last sentence: Do you mean that they won't really look at your application until around March, or that they will be mostly filled by March?
apps were too late. re-apply early next year and you'll have much better luck. Use the year to take some upper level science classes and get As, or work on another part of your app
How early would you say? Most schools open up applications at the beginning of September. Should I do it ASAP, or should I start off with a more experience-based application in early '15?

Thanks again guys
 
too bad your MCAT score is going to expire when you begin applying to med schools. Do you expect to get the same score on the new MCAT?
 
Weird that you didn't get into any of these SMP's. I have similar but lower stats than you (34 MCAT 3.1 GPA with big upward trend) I also applied to three schools during the 2nd week of May, but received two acceptances and a waitlist. Perhaps the SMP's I applied to were easier to get into though (Georgetown, Rutgers, Cincinnati).

After receiving a waitlist at my top choice, I immediately replied with this:
"Thank you for taking the time to review my application and for notifying me of my status. I will be sure to provide any updates to my application as this SMP is my very top choice for this fall. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help in the process."

The very next day I was accepted off the waitlist. Maybe if you let them know you will attend 100% for sure if accepted, they'll let you in. After all, one of their biggest challenges seems to be filling spots with people they know for sure will attend. With your stats, I'm sure you're at the very top of the waitlists.