Advice for (stressed) Potential Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postgradslump

Reaction score
Hi all, first time posting here, and could really use some advice.

I'm a recent graduate from a top 50 private university who is truly unsure if med school is a feasible option (i.e. will I get in?).

A little background:

- I graduated with a 3.45 cGPA, 3.32 sGPA, as a Bio major. I have plenty of volunteer experience (as an EMT), work experience (healthcare industry/at my University), but limited research experience. I'm planning on completing an MPH in addition to beefing up my work-experience/volunteer time in hopes that a good graduate GPA will help push me over the edge.

- Other background information: underrepresented minority in medicine from lower-income family, first-gen college student, first-gen American.

I have not sat for the MCAT yet, but plan to do so during this application cycle to see how I score.

Basically: will an MPH program help make my application stronger, or is there hope of getting in to an MD/DO program without that additional, step given my less-than-stellar undergraduate GPA?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

An MPH will have no influence on an MD application.
DO schools see graduate grades differently.

Do not take the MCAT to see how you will score. Take it once when you are confident of a score consistent with success.

Reactions: 4 users
An MPH will have no influence on an MD application.
DO schools see graduate grades differently.

Do not take the MCAT to see how you will score. Take it once when you are confident of a score consistent with success.

Thank you for your response! So given my background, would it be best to focus on DO schools opposed to MD programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! So given my background, would it be best to focus on DO schools opposed to MD programs?

Take some practice exams. If you can score 510 or better, I would apply broadly to state MD schools. If your MCAT is 505, I would apply broadly to DO schools. Hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 user