Advice from medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.somal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a prospective american student looking to go to a carribean medical school and was wondering what obstacles would i face in terms of getting residency and practice. Would i have to take some other exams once i come back to the usa apart from Step 1 and Step 2. Also I would be doing all my rotations here in the states after my basic sciences.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a prospective american student looking to go to a carribean medical school and was wondering what obstacles would i face in terms of getting residency and practice. Would i have to take some other exams once i come back to the usa apart from Step 1 and Step 2. Also I would be doing all my rotations here in the states after my basic sciences.
thanks!

Anyone going to medical school outside of the US or Canada, needs to fulfill the requirements for ECFMG certification: http://www.ecfmg.org

The exams required are USMLE Steps 1 and 2 (both CK and CS).

When you do your clinical rotations in the US, you'll want to make sure you get LORS from US faculty.

The potential obstacles to residency training after studying abroad can be found in many sources - there are guidebooks (ie, First AID) as well as threads here and in the Caribbean forum. I suggest you take a look at them because there is so much information and the difficulties vary with regard to how well you do and where you apply.

best of luck...